Dual VR V2.1

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Dual VR V2.1

Post by rickb794 »

Any suggestions for mounting the new VR board? Pics?
Correctly identify your MS ecu here
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
Use only these manuals other manuals may cause brain damage or worse.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If you have a V3.0 board where you have not filled the proto area, you can put the board there: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 4858#p4858. You can either use an 8-pin DIP socket or solder the dual VR board to MS board using pin headers (that's what the picture in the link shows).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I needed room in the proto area and wanted to keep the board away from the noisy driver board.

I mounted the board on a 2 pin 90° header in the U3 socket aligning the ground pin and jumped R13 for 5 volts power into the board.
For clearance at the driver board injector input, I removed the boot jumper header from the MS2 and reinstalled a 90° header from the bottom.
I also had to install the injector header pins in driver board from the bottom of the board for clearance on the MS2.
The 2nd, 3rd and, 4th ignition driver mounting screws must be shortened for clearance on the MS2.
A dab of hot glue will be added at final assembly to the VR2.1 board to stabilize it and dampen any vibs, although it feels quite secure with none.

Definitely time for a new design 3.0 board it seems like over half the board is not populated when a driver board, input board and USB serial adapter are installed.
The board as shown is ready for testing, built for a Ford Duratec V6 - crank & cam VR sensors - wasted spark - launch control - intake air valve control
Last edited by rickb794 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Read the Do's and Don'ts to avoid the common pitfalls before starting your install or asking for help
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Nice setup even if, as you say, most of the MS board is unpopulated. And I'm sure that using some hot glue is definitely a good idea because the wires will put some strain on the header pins otherwise. If the wires are also glued then they could actually dampen some vibrations. Do you mind if I use those pictures to show as an installation example?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

racingmini_mtl wrote: Do you mind if I use those pictures to show as an installation example?

Jean
The best complement!
Of course, can you snag them from Photobucket or would you need them emailed?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

rickb794 wrote:Of course, can you snag them from Photobucket or would you need them emailed?
I can simply copy them from this post (which is the same as taking them from Photobucket, I assume).

Jean
rickb794
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by rickb794 »

I was poking around and noticed that the third pin hole on U3 is not used on the 3.0 board.

So with some shuffling a third header pin would add 50% more support to the mounting.... :^)