No RPM

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AdamNZ1
MS/Extra Newbie

No RPM

Post by AdamNZ1 »

Hi all, this seems to be a common Symptom for people but it looks like the causes seem to vary.

I'm running ms3 with msx and attempting to test/program using the jimstim and jimstimx.
I've wired the ecu to use VR sensors and have set that up in the tuner studio.
Spark mode, toothed wheel. Spark hardware in use, coil on plug. Cam input, msx cam in. Trigger wheel arrangement, dual wheel with missing tooth (36-1)

The jimstim v1.5 has the dip switch set to 3 on, Primary tach set to VR. 5v going from jimstim to jimstimx, cam going from jimstimx to 2nd trigger on jimstim. I have tried both the 5v and 12v pull ups.

If anyone can tell me what I've done wrong or give me a suggest of what might be wrong I would appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Adam
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Start with a single wheel missing tooth to check that you can get a crank signal. On the JimStim, your setup is fine but you'll want to use the 12V pull up.

Assuming you can get an RPM reading with that (you should), you can then try to add the cam signal and set your trigger input to dual wheel with missing tooth. You will need to adjust the pots on the the MS3X as if you had a Hall sensor since that's the type of signal the JimStim has. Don't add the JP7 jumper but instead use the 5V pull up on the JimStim.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
AdamNZ1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdamNZ1 »

Thanks Jean,
I Did get a RPM signal after making the changes you suggested. I'll change the settings back and adjust the pots but just to confirm about the pull up, do I use the 12v pull up on the primary tach signal and 5v on the 2nd signal on the jimstim?

Thanks again,
Adam
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

AdamNZ1 wrote:do I use the 12v pull up on the primary tach signal and 5v on the 2nd signal on the jimstim?
Yes.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
AdamNZ1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdamNZ1 »

Thanks Jean, It all works now, much appreciated. No doubt you'll see more of me.