IOx release 0.1.1 (long post and picture heavy)

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

IOx release 0.1.1 (long post and picture heavy)

Post by racingmini_mtl »

This post is also available on my forum: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1277

There is a new release available for the IOx. The firmware is available here and the ini file is available here. An msq with the default settings is available here.

Since there are quite a few changes since the last release and there are quite a few possible combinations (as you can see below), it is possible that there are still some bugs present. I have tested each features with many test cases and combinations but a full coverage is practically impossible since there will be differences depending on which devices are connected to the CAN bus. So use some caution when you use a new feature for the first time with a new setup.

This release introduces quite a few new features. As you can see from the new menu, there are now 4 generic PWM outputs, a push button start feature, programmable on/off outputs (with the option of selecting which outputs are used), and CAN broadcasting. Also, all the PWM outputs can be set to output a signal that is compatible with an RC servo.

The generic PWM outputs allow you to select any of the IOx data as the load. The load can also be selected as any of the MS (MS2 or MS3) data or any other CAN device connected to the CAN bus and which is part of the same TunerStudio project. The duty cycle can be defined in an 8x8 table with the load as a function of RPM (the RPM is assumed to be from an MS with a CAN ID of 0) or as a 16 entry array. The output port can be any of the 8 channels from timer 1 and timer 2 (PTD0-7). You can also set the output signal to be compatible with an RC servo.

The push button start feature has been ported from the TinyIOx and is discussed here: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1195#p6043.

Image Image

The programmable on/off outputs are similar to what is available on the MS2 and MS3 (spare ports). The difference is that there are 8 outputs which can be selected to be any of the available outputs on the IOx, there are 3 conditions for each output and you can select the output channel from any controller on the CAN bus (as long as they are part of the TunerStudio project).

The CAN broadcasting allows the IOx to broadcast up to 8 frames 20 times per second. This is intended to be use with non-MS device which need to get some IOx data. The frame ID is defined from 4 bytes in hexadecimal which allows each frame to be an 11-bit or 29-bit ID of any value. If this is used with other MS protocol compatible devices on the CAN bus, care should be taken when selecting a frame ID so that there is no conflict with the MS protocol.

The way to set some PWM output as an RC servo signal involves setting the frequency of the timer corresponding to the output to 50Hz: this automatically sets the prescale (8) and frequency divider (233) to get a 50Hz frequency that allows the best accuracy for the RC servo signal. All the PWM outputs using a timer set like this but without the RC servo setting will have a normal 50Hz output that varies from 0 to 100%. Each specific PWM output needs to set as an RC servo signal as shown in the generic PWM outputs above and as shown below in the port settings (for MS2/Extra) and PWM outputs (for MS3).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: IOx release 0.1.1 (long post and picture heavy)

Post by Suprazz »

wow very nice. Lot of interesting features.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
elturbonitroso
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by elturbonitroso »

jean can one of the pwm outputs can be use to do boost controller.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

elturbonitroso wrote:jean can one of the pwm outputs can be use to do boost controller.
Possibly. If you want to use open loop that might work but I haven't tested it so can't guarantee. If you want closed loop then that will depend on which MS and firmware version you're using. MS2/Extra does offer the possibility of using an output on a CAN device but MS3 doesn't for boost control. But I don't know if the MS2/Extra option has been tested and validated; I only know that the option is there.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
elturbonitroso
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by elturbonitroso »

its for a microsquirt using 3.2.5 extra code also if I opt to try this do I have to built the boost controller circuit on the proto area of the iox board or I could drive the boost solenoid directly from the pwm output that I chose to use.thanks
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

4 of the 6 high current outputs on the IOx are connected to timer outputs. So any of those 4 could be used for boost control. You need to solder the components to the board but that's only 3 components (one TIP122, one 1K resistor and one diode) and those are provided with the IOx.

Jean
elturbonitroso
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by elturbonitroso »

ok I will update if the owner of the car want to use iox and the boost controller option that way more people would have this option too.thanks
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

Will you be back porting these new feature to the TinyIOx?
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

knightrous wrote:Will you be back porting these new feature to the TinyIOx?
Probably a subset. But I have to see what would make sense with the different I/Os and resources.

Jean
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

I mainly asked as I'm interested in the RC Servo 50hz PWM output.
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, that's something that will make it to the TinyIOx. I thought that this would be of interest to some.

Jean
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Slightly off topic, so moderate at will:

The RC servo control is very interesting as a replacement for the vacuum actuators used for the diff locks on VW Syncros, especially if they can be programmed to cycle at power on and/or ECU reset. A common reason for diff locks to stop working when you need them is that they corrode stuck due to disuse, another common reason is general vacuum trouble. Cycling at power on will prevent them from getting stuck from disuse.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced yet powerful RC servo that will survive not reaching the programmed position? The diff lock actuators will only go all the way in when the parts inside line up correctly, depending on conditions this may take some time.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

subwoofer wrote:Slightly off topic, so moderate at will:

The RC servo control is very interesting as a replacement for the vacuum actuators used for the diff locks on VW Syncros, especially if they can be programmed to cycle at power on and/or ECU reset. A common reason for diff locks to stop working when you need them is that they corrode stuck due to disuse, another common reason is general vacuum trouble. Cycling at power on will prevent them from getting stuck from disuse.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced yet powerful RC servo that will survive not reaching the programmed position? The diff lock actuators will only go all the way in when the parts inside line up correctly, depending on conditions this may take some time.
If you use the table for the generic PWM outputs, you could use a low RPM column to go to one end of the range before the engine is started. That would not cycle but at least it would cover the whole range of movement.

As for a servo, I don't have any one specific to recommend but I would definitely look at a digital servo with ball bearings and metal gears for any automotive application. They will be more expensive but they would have a much better chance of surviving while giving you a more precise and repeatable position. And you may need to add a 5V power supply for it if it's going to be used in a stalled situation.

Jean
cytogen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by cytogen »

You can add a "servo saver" to provide a buffer to the servo throw in case it does not reach it's commanded angle.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There is an updated firmware available here: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1294

Jean