attempting to get small bt adaptor to work

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

attempting to get small bt adaptor to work

Post by ashford »

i bought one of the ebay bt to rs232 adaptors a jy-mcu v1.05 it is a slave and hc-06 firmware(i think)

first off i do have the bt adaptor that efi anylitics sells but it is too big for the aplication i am using, the ms, relays fuses will be assembled in a weatherproof box and room is limited.

i have tried many configurations to get it to work. i can pair it with my laptop open miniterm and connect, if i hook the tx and rx togeter it loopsback just fine. if i hook to pin 2 and 3 of the db9 and send "S" i never get anything back, i have reversed tx and rx and tried every baud rate. i also hooked directly to pin 13 and 14 of the daughter card and get nothing.

i also tried hooking to the usb-serial to get into AT mode and i get nowhere, i just simply get nothing for output. i tried terraterm and puTTY
this leads me to think that maybee because it is 3.3v logic it does not work or i have a defective unit.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: attempting to get small bt adaptor to work

Post by ashford »

this was extremely difficult to figure out but i got it. the module uses ttl/cmos signal instaed of rs232, the difference being voltage and impedance. so i needed a max232, wait there is one on the ms itself with a channel not being used. so this is what i did.

i hooked the tx of the bt adaptor to the cts headder under the v3 mainboard and the rx to the rts(look at v3 schematic). now i have its rs 232 coming out of pins 7 and 8 of the db9. i hooked db9 pins 2 adn 7 togeter then 8 and 3. opened miniterminal and sent the S, nothing i shorted cpu pins for tx and rx and it loopbacks. now it know it is now working but the baud is not happy with ms2. so now on to programming the chip.

to get communication to the bt adaptor i simply used the normal serial cable and hooked pin 2 of the cable to pin 8 of the db9 then pin 3 to pin 7, connected grounds an it got me into AT mode, sent the command in real terminal AT+BAUD8 to set the baud rate to 115200 then rebooted, deleted old bt device and created new. tested loopback then reinserted the db9 jumpers and it works.
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: attempting to get small bt adaptor to work

Post by sportage4x4 »

I can verify that this works. Just received one of these adapters and programmed it tonight. Connected it to the MS as above and it works flawlessly.
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.