Microsquirt Module Utility board with bluetooth

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Microsquirt Module Utility board with bluetooth

Post by wmax351 »

I'm drawing up a PCB right now based off of the microsquirt utility board. I'm adding a dedicated 5v supply for the bluetooth chip (which will be switched allowing for serial connection as well), and a spot for an slc-oem module. It also will have a built in max232 or max233 for the ttl bluetooth chip. I'll also add a small prototype area. Most components of the additional circuits will be smt for compactness.

Basically, this is a more rugged version of the perfboard and solder rat's nest I have now.

I'm planning to get them made at a low volume fab house. I think the cost per board would be around ten or fifteen dollars, possibly less if there is enough interest for more than ten or 15. I can also sell populated boards if there is interest: probably cost of parts plus 20 bucks.

If you are interested or have suggestions, please respond here.
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Microsquirt Module Utility board with bluetooth

Post by wmax351 »

Here's a draft of the board. It presently has a setup for an HC-05 or HC-06 bluetooth module as well as the SLC-OEM Wideband controller. The wideband controller is set up for I2C communication, with headers to tap into if you intend to use that feature (for example, on a separate AFR gauge). All Signals are broken out.
Microsquirt Breakout.pdf
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm curious: why the I2C setup if you don't have anything to read it? And if you do have something that reads it, why not integrate it on the board?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

If you had the TinyioX or something similar, you could use the I2C bus that converts it to the megasquirt's can bus. I'll look at how much extra I would have to add to access the CAN interface. I could probably do it pretty easily with an atmel microcontroller programmed in arduino.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

wmax351 wrote:If you had the TinyioX or something similar, you could use the I2C bus that converts it to the megasquirt's can bus.
I was aware of this part (obviously). If you want to have a look at adding the TinyIOx footprint, it is available here: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html. You would only need the upper part in this case. I also have an Eagle library with the footprint if that's helpful.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
wmax351 wrote:If you had the TinyioX or something similar, you could use the I2C bus that converts it to the megasquirt's can bus.
I was aware of this part (obviously). If you want to have a look at adding the TinyIOx footprint, it is available here: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html. You would only need the upper part in this case. I also have an Eagle library with the footprint if that's helpful.

Jean
Haha, I missed the JBperf signature on Tapatalk. That would certainly be something to add If I am doing the board anyways. It would be overkill in my situation, as I don't need any more IO ports, but it would be worth having for anyone who's interested in buying a board.

With the tinyIOx, Is it just CAN H/L, GND, and Vref? It seems the easiest way to add facilities for installing a tinyIOx on this would be to have header pins and a ribbon cable between the two.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

wmax351 wrote:With the tinyIOx, Is it just CAN H/L, GND, and Vref? It seems the easiest way to add facilities for installing a tinyIOx on this would be to have header pins and a ribbon cable between the two.
Yes it's all that's needed. Of course, you need the SDA and SCL connections but you already have those with the pull up resistors.

Jean
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

Just ordered 5 boards from seeedstudio.com, they'll be here in a month.
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

Boards are in, need to give them an inspection and order the parts for one.

Here are the eagle files. I might want to tweak a few things once I assemble. Consider these as an open source, Creative commons share alike license.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ErnieJones »

I wish someone would make a basic Eagle file for a motherboard designed for the Microsquirt module and the Cinch ME enclosure. Just something with the proper Microsoquirt module headers in place etc would be handy to jump start board design.

I'm starting out designing a board with CAD and finding it pretty rough. Eagle is not that easy for me to use so I went with Express PCB because it's more at the Crayon level :D Problem is, it seems to tie a person in to their production house.

Something like that would make it much easier to adopt the Microsquirt module, at least in my view. In my case the needs are pretty simple, a mainboard that fits the Cinch ME enclosure, has the proper connectors on it for the microsquirt module, supports BlueTooth, and has the BIP things for driving a two wire coil. Even just that, as a public download, would be really helpful.

Some of this stuff that is very, very hard for the beginner is really, really easy for people in the know.
Thanks you;
Ernie
msrwerks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by msrwerks »

Do you have any of these available for purchase?
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

msrwerks wrote:Do you have any of these available for purchase?
Sorry, just sold the lot of them to a guy who bought the system.