Teensy-based CANbus gauge (and more)

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Teensy-based CANbus gauge (and more)

Post by jacky4566 »

Guys its on the first page of the CAN Bus Protocol:
CAN broadcasting is supported on:
Megasquirt-2, Microsquirt, MSPNP2, Microsquirt-module based ECUs with firmware MS2/Extra 3.4.x only
Megasquirt-3, MS3-Pro, MS3-Gold, MSPNP-Pro, MS3-Pro-module based ECUs with firmware MS3 1.4.x only.
Not supported in earlier firmwares or earlier hardware. Above firmware is free upgrade for Megasquirt customers at http://www.msextra.com
Alfagta
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Alfagta »

You can uxe it on a MS2.
Look under Can Realtime Data Broadcasting.
There you can assigne the base identifier and enable the data you wish to broadcast.

BR
Alfa 156 GTA
Alfa 75 Race Car MS III -- alway latest FW
Alfa 164 V6 Turbo
Alfa 155 2,5TD RIP
Test MS II --always latest FW
Tunerstudio V2.6.11 Registered
MegaLog Viewer V3.4.04 Registered
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

Ok, I've solved my problem. It was a simple one.

From the beginning of time I have always used the latest versions of software, whether megasquirt 1 extra, megatune or Tunerstudio etc..

So here I am running ms2 extra pre alpha and the most recent beta version of Tunerstudio.

While reading a thread on the teensy forum I found a link to a PDF on megasquirt CAN written by James, THIS was the information I needed!
I quickly realised that the CAN options available to me on my versions of ms2 extra and Tunerstudio are nothing like the options shown in James PDF.

Switched to the 'released' versions of ms2 extra and Tunerstudio and et voilà CAN settings that make sense and a CAN gauge that works 100%

:D
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
Alfagta
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Alfagta »

All the manuals are here as well
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/
Loot at the bottom of this page
Alfa 156 GTA
Alfa 75 Race Car MS III -- alway latest FW
Alfa 164 V6 Turbo
Alfa 155 2,5TD RIP
Test MS II --always latest FW
Tunerstudio V2.6.11 Registered
MegaLog Viewer V3.4.04 Registered
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

Alfagta wrote:All the manuals are here as well
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/
Loot at the bottom of this page
Yeah I saw that AFTER I found the link on the teensy forum, trouble is, from a tech publishing point of view, I've never scrolled to the bottom of the index. I've read the CAN chapter over and over and never suspected I'd need to look elsewhere :) maybe if I had a 22" monitor, but unfortunately my biggest screen is on my 10" laptop :D so have never seen the link at the bottom :D

Anyway, I'm happy, the gauge works and looks brilliant thanks to xrattiracer
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

Mickey I suspect I have the same issue youre having. I am using Raymonds code from his thread and I am getting everything on serial monitor but its not translating to dash even though im using the same dash and him. I think he is using MS2 and I have MS3 but I will have to check the version tomorrow. When I connect my dash to teensy I get zeros so I know the communication is there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

Ok so I just looked at my code, then read the 1.4+ firmware dash broadcast pdf. I am on firmware 1.4.1 with my MS3. It says in the pdf the IDs start at 1512 and go up. In my code they start at 1520 and go up. That may explain why im getting 0s but not value changes. Not sure if its as simple changing the IDs out but I hope so!

mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

Have you turned on all the actual CAN ouptuts in Tunerstudio? Just turning on broadcasting doesn't actual broadcast anything as you need to turn on each output required (which is something I hadn't done!)
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

I turned on master enable and then the dash broadcast which was what the manual reference told me to do. It seems that when you enable the simple dash broadcasts is uses the ID starting at 1512 and when yoh step through the way youre discussing you start at 1520. I have a feeling it will work later. Thanks.

Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

OK I got (slow) communication between the MS and display. The display is set at default 9600 baud. Cant quite get the rate figured out. I need to get it to 115200.

minty9277
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by minty9277 »

Hi I am trying to make a arduino speedo, data logger, which has GPS, Accelerometers, Touch screen etc.

I have the canbus communicating to the Arduino Mega using a MCP2515 board.

Data broadcast is working fine, I am now trying to send the GPS data back to the Megasquirt MS2.

I have used parts of xrattiracer code but I am confused on how to configure the can parameters page shown below.

Can someone please help? There are some pics of the device on my website http://www.mintynet.com.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
zipty842
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zipty842 »

I'm under the impression that the GPS and accel data can't be fed back to a MS2 like it can a MS3.

Here is what I did for my MR2. I left out the GPS and accel for the time being, but i also can't seem to get any GPS data read on 2 units using two teensys and two GPS breakouts. Plus I'm using MS2 so it would just be some numbers on the screen anyway.

I made some changes and found the necessary bits to get indicators for my outputs as well as added some info. I 3d printed a piece to mount the screen where the voltmeter was. The NeoPixels are the 8 LED strips glued behind the bezel with a small hole drilled for each one.
35882931_2251736081518337_2904416834432270336_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Toyota Celica GT-S MSnS-E
Fabry
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fabry »

Hi all,

I'm new on MS (i have a MS3) and also new on CANBus-Arduino-Teensy systems...
I've read a lot on the net, and seem this is the solution I need for have data displayed on a screen for my Impreza.
I need the very important data to display, like oil pressure, oil temp, turbo prex, fuel prex, coolant temp, afr, egt, throttle pos... But...there I have a but...How to do this?
Really need only to buy parts and upload a code?
Now I use a PI3B+ with TunerStudio running, but is not like I want.

Someone can give me a little help for understand what to do?

Thanks to all in advance
Cheers
Fabry
James
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by James »

I have some code built on this with my own guage.

Does anyone know if it uses 11-bit or 29-bit addressing?

I'd like to get a Spartan 3 — which requires it to work as 11 bit to play nicely.
Triumph 2000 Mk1 — 2 litre straight 6 — MS3+MS3X, 36-1, wasted spark — Install Details
Twitter