JBperf peak&hold issue

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kbhayes
MS/Extra Newbie

JBperf peak&hold issue

Post by kbhayes »

I have a version 2.0.1 JBperf peak and hold board I have been building. I am planning to use it with my MS3 and MS3X. It has tested fine up until now. I was getting ready to assemble it in the case and dfd the final testing. I have 12v at the input. I have 5v at the test point. Now it goes away. In doing the test of the individual injector circuits, I has problems. When I connected 12v power to the wire for the #1 injector, I got the led lit without grounding the ecu line.(Meaning the line is grounded already??) The circuit for the #2 did the same. #3 and #4 both worked properly. I cleaned the board, checked for bridges, vacuumed off any solder that could have been too much. The result I got was that #4 failed now as well. I tested for continuity where it shouldn't be. I found that I had continuity between the ecu lines and the ground test point. Maybe someone has seen something similar.

Thoughts? Do I have a bad ground plain?

I know this is MS territory, but I couldn't make the JBperf registration work. It said my email address was invalid. It isn't.

Thanks
Ken
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: JBperf peak&hold issue

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The first thing you should do is to try to lift all the TIP122 and TIP42 away from the case so that they don't touch it and redo your tests. That would check if there is some grounding issue coming from bad isolation.

And please PM me your email address so that I can check what the issue might be.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
kbhayes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kbhayes »

Thanks for the reply.

The board is not installed in the case. It was sitting on a piece of plywood on my workbench. I don't believe there are any shorts there.
Thanks for the help.
kbhayes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kbhayes »

I have since tried to build a second Peak and Hold. Similar results. I had no trouble building a ms3 and stims. Don't know what I am doing wrong.
Can anyone suggest someone in the board repair business? I tried PFTuning, but have gotten no response. I ordered a higher quality soldering station. That may be part of my trouble.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The small transistors may be more exposed to soldering heat than on your other boards since that seems to be your issue (at least from our previous discussions). One thing is certain, they are essential on this board which may not be the case with your MS3.

I'm surprised you haven't heard back from Peter.

Jean

EDIT: One more thing (which might be a bit late now): always make sure to apply your soldering iron to the solder pad as much as possible and not to the component pin. This will make the solder flow to the solder pad and the pin but will transfer less heat to the component. I also use a solder flux pen which makes the solder flow much better.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
kbhayes
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kbhayes »

Jean

Thanks for the reply.
I am sure a large part of this is my technique. That is why I decided to upgrade solder stations. I also ordered a helping hand with led and some liquid solder and pen. Now I wait for stuff to show up. Then decide the next step.
Thanks for the help.
Ken