(Not just) Another CAN gauge and more

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: (Not just) Another CAN gauge and more

Post by Manu »

Hi Seb
93white3400z wrote:Warnings in the SD card code are coming from the Arduino IDE and are innofensive I believe (unused variable IIRC ?). I think there is only one warning in the LSM303 library otherwise and that will be replaced with the new hardware so I didn't bother fixing it.
I'll have a look on that
93white3400z wrote:As for the rest, I might have to try to run the code with just the Teensy. It's possible something get stuck (or even crash) somewhere as I've always run it with the rest of the hardware. Let me know if you find anything!
That drive me to this idea => Maybe it will be usefull to have the possibility for choose the hardware you use and set it using PC/android software. i.e : I don't have and temperature HIH6130 sensor, so don't activate and/or use this portion of code
93white3400z wrote:EDIT: It might be possible you need to load a config, usually the screen would display you a message to load a config file but since you don't have that :P
Possible. I will have the screen this week and will try. I have to check the code to use SSD1351 driver instead of SSD1306 since 1"5 OLED adafruit use this one. This will be trivial to do ;-)

Also my mind is to make both software/firmware translated (already done), but more, user language configurable. After all of that, new ideas are here too (alfano, Tech Edge, etc...)

Cheers,
Manu

EDIT : If you comment include SSD1306.h and include HIH6130.h in firmware.ino, project can be compiled :shock:
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Good about the translation, you can send us a pull request when time come once you're done if you want :) Both Jean and I are actually native french speakers (from Québec) but personally I wouldn't use a translated version of anything cars related (I tend to not know any of the technical words in french :lol:) but it's good to have anyway.

Switching the code to use SSD1351 driver is one of my task as well for when I get my hand on the new hardware. I wonder what's the problem with SSD1306.h and HIH6130.h that make you not being able to compile ?
1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

93white3400z wrote:Switching the code to use SSD1351 driver is one of my task as well for when I get my hand on the new hardware. I wonder what's the problem with SSD1306.h and HIH6130.h that make you not being able to compile ?
I can compile. But there is some warnings.

Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Line 27: LSM303.cpp:150:10: warning: enumeration value 'device_auto' not handled in switch [-Wswitch]
Line 49: C:\Arduino\libraries\SD\utility\Sd2Card.cpp:470:12: warning: unused variable 'n' [-Wunused-variable]
Line 51: C:\Arduino\libraries\SD\utility\Sd2Card.cpp:145:13: warning: 'void spiSend(const uint8_t*, size_t)' defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
Line 54: C:\Arduino\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:899:40: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
But I can compile an load firmware in Teensy ;-) FIY

93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Oh, yeah, those are all harmless :)
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I sent a pm to Jean. I'm waiting news from him.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
coizamora
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by coizamora »

racingmini_mtl wrote:I have previously posted pictures and a brief description of the first version of this unit. This is the revised version. This is a collaboration between Sebastien Giroux (93white3400z) and myself; I have done the hardware and some small specific aspects of the firmware and Sebastien has done most of the firmware and all the configuration software.

Besides the standard Teensy, all the boards are custom ones to be able to package a lot of features inside a standard 52mm / 2 1/16" gauge enclosure. The first version used a 1.3" monochrome OLED display (128x64). This was a small limitation so I decided to make my own board for this version to support a 128x128 1.5" colour OLED display; that's pretty much the largest display that can still fit inside the enclosure. The setup is still compatible with the 1.3" monochrome Adafruit display.

There are 3 boards besides the Teensy. The top board is for the display but also includes 2 LEDs at the top and there's an ambient light sensor on the left of the display. The pictures below show it populated without the display, the light sensor or the headers.

ImageImage

The second board is the base board. It has the 3.3V and 5V power supplies, a socket for the lithium battery that powers the Teensy RTC (the Teensy has the RTC crystal soldered to it), a buzzer with its driver, a microSD socket, a CAN transceiver, a low current driver for a digital output or PWM, conditioners for 2 digital inputs, drivers for a small stepper motor (for an analog gauge). It also interfaces with the Teensy. The pictures below show it populated except for the headers (which are numerous).

ImageImage

The third board is the sensor and connector board. It has a 9 DoF sensor (3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis magnetometer), a temperature and humidity sensor, a baro sensor, and RS232 interface, and a GPS module. The pictures below show it populated except for the headers and connectors.

ImageImage

I also needed to create a fourth board to allow the USB cable to go out the bottom of the enclosure. This is a very small board that is used to have a 90 degree connection to the Teensy USB connector without the bulk of ready made cables. The picture below shows the board with the connector (wires will be soldered to the pads at the bottom). The size of the board can be assessed from the background; this is the 6 position connector behind it which is bigger than the board.

The pictures below show what the complete stack of boards looks like when all the headers, standoffs and connectors are in place and ready to go in the enclosure. (Click on the picture for a larger version)

ImageImage

The pictures below show the complete unit from the front, the back and the side. As mentioned above this is a standard 52mm gauge enclosure. There is a 10-position and a 6-position Molex connector, a USB extension cable to connect to the Teensy USB port and a GPS antenna cable. (Click on the picture for a larger version)

ImageImageImage

Jean

EDIT:
Here's a list of the people who have expressed interest in buying one. The order is the one in which this was mentioned and in which I will go through for the initial limited batch:
  • Manu
  • Zaphod
  • richyvrlimited
  • Trev16v
  • coizamora
  • Suprazz(*)
  • tpsretard2(*)
  • arran
  • krisr
  • boofhead
I have put (*) besides a couple of names because they did show interest but did not specify that they where interested in getting one. I you want your name removed let me know. If others want their name added let me know also. This limited batch is for only 8 complete units so we are already there or above.
I need a complete one, with 128x128 color display.
Please send me more information
Tks in advance
Zamora running at Renault Clio mk2 ph2 1.0L 16v ms3/ms3x...
2.0L supercharged comming soon...
freek corsa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by freek corsa »

I would like to know how much money we are talking about, please send me a private message 8)
Last edited by freek corsa on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opel Corsa A1 C20NE 320 pk 480 Nm 700 kg.
Turbo Garrett T04E35 @ 1,4 bar
Injectors 470cc/min (Opel Z20LEH) Fuel: Octane 102
MegaSquirt 2 V3.0 PWM CL Idle, PWM CL Boostcontroller, 4-Coil near plug, Launch/Flatshift, internal Bluetooth
60ft 1.77 sec. 1/4m 11.8 sec. @ 190 km/h
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It's in one of my previous posts: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p427237.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

freek corsa wrote:Image

I would like how much money we are talking about, please send me a private message 8)
The answer :
After checking this out and discussing it with Seb, the target price has been set at US$399 for a complete unit. The initial batch of boards is very limited and there are still a few tests to be done before I go ahead and take orders. Once I'm ready to take orders, I will give priority to those who have posted here and contacted me privately in the order in which that was done. And this will be for complete units only.

If there is enough demand, a new batch will be done. How many units and how quickly this will be done will depend on the interest shown.

Jean

Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

I received OLED screen from adafruit this week and will start to look at it soon.

I was first disappointed with it electrical connexion as it look like it doesn't work with adafruit SSD1351 library, examples, and Teensy, but it was a common ground problem. You will definitely need a common ground connection between the teensy and the breadboard power supply. This serves as a signal reference for the OLED.

Also it look like you must use the SPI library from the PJRC site.

About GPS : this ship look really impressive. It can get a fix inside my house :shock:

I'll let you know more when possible.
Cheer,
Manu

xrattiracer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xrattiracer »

yes that is the same gps chip that i am using and i get up to 10 satellites sitting on my desk in the house, using just the built in antenna. that and 10hz updates, its a very nice setup.
sanec
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sanec »

As always late :( .
I want one complete set.
sanec
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sanec »

racingmini_mtl wrote: The pictures below show the complete unit from the front, the back and the side. As mentioned above this is a standard 52mm gauge enclosure. There is a 10-position and a 6-position Molex connector, a USB extension cable to connect to the Teensy USB port and a GPS antenna cable. (Click on the picture for a larger version)

ImageImageImage

Jean

EDIT:
Here's a list of the people who have expressed interest in buying one. The order is the one in which this was mentioned and in which I will go through for the initial limited batch:
  • Manu
  • Zaphod
  • richyvrlimited
  • Trev16v
  • coizamora
  • Suprazz(*)
  • tpsretard2(*)
  • arran
  • krisr
  • boofhead
I have put (*) besides a couple of names because they did show interest but did not specify that they where interested in getting one. I you want your name removed let me know. If others want their name added let me know also. This limited batch is for only 8 complete units so we are already there or above.

EDIT2:
Information about price is here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p427237. And we're not quite ready for taking orders yet.
Jean, I want to buy one set.
If now there is no way I will wait for the new party.
Thanks.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'll add you to the list. I still need to do a few things and send one unit to Seb so that he can start to update the code to support everything. I have not been able to spend much time on it due to other things.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

The same here too. Have you got any news?
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

I got the hardware from Jean and I have adapted the code to fit with the new hardware for the most part. I'm having what seems like a hardware glitch with the sensors board so we will have to wait til Jean has time to look into that. I was expecting more issues than that honestly but everything seems to be working pretty good. I had a lot of software issues to work out as well but those are mostly all resolved now. Bluetooth support was also added to the Android app and a bunch of features added and improvements here and there. I'm starting to really like the final project, although it's not quite ready just yet.
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
shaodome
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by shaodome »

93white3400z wrote:I got the hardware from Jean and I have adapted the code to fit with the new hardware for the most part. I'm having what seems like a hardware glitch with the sensors board so we will have to wait til Jean has time to look into that. I was expecting more issues than that honestly but everything seems to be working pretty good. I had a lot of software issues to work out as well but those are mostly all resolved now. Bluetooth support was also added to the Android app and a bunch of features added and improvements here and there. I'm starting to really like the final project, although it's not quite ready just yet.
Yup, when these are ready Jean I need AT LEAST two of them.
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

Are there any screenshots from the OLED available?
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

MS3 v3.57+MS3X