Anyone using CanEgt board with MS2?

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Anyone using CanEgt board with MS2?

Post by ngrimm »

I have been struggling with it for a few days now both trying to communicate via CAN and then Usb but no luck using the instruction on DiyAutotune and some help from Matt. I'm using Ms2357 Megasquirt and TunerStudio 2.6.14. All I want is to add 8 Egt gauges to TS that work. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten this combo to work. Thank you. Norm
Last edited by ngrimm on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Anyone using CanEgt board with MS2?

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Through the USB port, it should be very straightforward to connect.

Connect your CAN-EGT to the PC with the USB port. Make sure that the PC sees it and you have a new COM port (go in the device manager to be certain). Create a new project in TunerStudio and browse for the ini file; don't use the detect button. Make sure that the "SERIAL" setting is enabled in the second step when you create the project. Use the COM port that corresponds to the CAN-EGT; don't rely on the test button because it doesn't always work for devices other than a Megasquirt. And leave the other settings as per default.

That should get you connected to the CAN-EGT.

If you want to connect through CAN, the difference is that you leave "SERIAL" disabled and use the COM port that corresponds to your MS2. Of course, you have to connect the CANH and CANL lines between the MS2 and the CAN-EGT.

You can also use the port scanner to check if your PC sees the CAN-EGT. Check this: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 64f7d39326. You can have both the USB and the CAN connection at the same time and the port scanner should be able to see both.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

Thankyou for the reply. I created a new project and got a little farther but still can't connect to the can-egt. After I verify port I've selected using the device manager and then select it under Communications/Settings/ do a port test it fails. Also if I open Mini Terminal, I assume it should echo characters to the lower screen but it doesn't. If I choose the port that successfully connects to MS it passes the test . I have tried multiple usb ports and all work when plugged into MS but not to the Can-Egt. One question though. If it was working right, would I need to open two instances of TS, one for the Egt gauges and another for the Megasquirt? Thank you again Jean. Norm

PS I ran port scan and it finds the Ms but not the Can-Egt,
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

How are you powering the CAN-EGT?

Also, it won't echo the characters in the Mini terminal. What you can try is to send an 'S' or a 'Q' (without the quotes and in uppercase); these should give your the firmware version and signature. And I did mention that the port verification test may not pass; that's a TunerStudio issue.

But if you can't see anything in the port scanner on either the USB side or the CAN side then there is something wrong. Do you at least see the CAN-EGT COM port displayed there? If not then that's a PC setup issue because the USB port on the CAN-EGT is powered by the PC and will show up even if the CAN-EGT is not responding or not powered.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

The Can-Egt has power to the external 10 pin connector. For instance when I plug in the Can-Egt to a USB port and run Portcheck, it says "Com7 opened at 115500 baud, no connection made. 9600 baud no connection made" after it sends an S, Q, 0xd. I opened Mini terminal and typed an S and a Q with the MS connected and it replied with the firmware version. Typing the S an Q don't get any response on the port that is connected to the Can-Egt. One time when plugging it in, it said it needed a driver. I let it browse the internet for one but none was found. I does say that it is operating properly. I left the CAN cable at work so I can't test it. Thank you for your help. Norm
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You may want to hear back from DIYAutotune before going further but one thing that should be checked is if you do get power to the board components. That would require you opening the box and checking the voltage at JP1 as per the picture below. If you do that make sure to not short anything when making the measurements and that the board doesn't come in contact with something conductive.
canegt_power_jp1.png
Also, you should check if anything gets hot.

If nothing gets hot and you have the correct voltage at JP1, then you need to check with the CAN connection for a confirmation that there is something more than a USB issue.

Jean
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

Thank you once again Jean. So I picked up the Can cable and plugged it in and then scanned the ports using your Port Scanner. It found the Can ID 01:DIY Can-EGT+. So I created a new project and didn't do anything in Project properties. I went to Canbust/testmode, enabled Master and enabled CanAdc 0-3. After that I right clicked an existing gauge and under sensor inputs chose GPCADC0 and the guage diplayed a value that increases as I heat the thermocouple. Success! I tried it on another thermocouple port on the Can-Egt controller and it works as well. I don't know how to add the CAN EGT gauges back and I don't see how to calibrate the ADC gauges. I still have a lot to learn. Norm.
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

By Monday morning, Matt from Diyautotune had emailed me and we talked on the phone as well. Since then he has gotten Brian at Efi Analytics involved to see why whenever I connect to the controller, after I having added a CAN device in Project properties, I get the "CAN Device Signature Mismatch" error.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

When using a CAN device, make sure that the "SERIAL" setting for the CAN-EGT is disabled.

What message are you getting exactly? If you get the MS2 signature from the device and the CAN-EGT signature from the ini then the issue is the "SERIAL" setting. Other errors will need more details to diagnose (screen capture of the exact message, a copy of your TS project and possibly the TS debug file).

Jean
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

Hello Jean. I know the "Serial" connection is disabled. Today I sent a debug file and the project to Matt at Diy and Brian at Efi Analytics and since I am home right now, I don't have the MS with me. Would it make sense to install an older known compatible version of TS and maybe even an older version of the firmware if they are available? Thank you for your time.

Tunerstudio Sig Mismatch ErrorCan-EGT 1.png
ProjectPropertiesCAN Devices 1.png
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I need to have a look at your project before I can say more.

The screen capture you posted seems to show a correct setup but the error message definitely indicates that TunerStudio is communicating with the MS2 when looking for the CAN-EGT.

Jean
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Any chance of attaching the TunerStudioAppDebug.txt (or a zip of it) here too?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

I finally got it working today. I reinstalled on a fresh Win7 computer. I carefully documented everything I did while adding the CanEgt device. When I went to Projects/Configuration I checked "browse" and pointed it to the can_egt.ini file. A small box came up that said: "Audit log message:There were errors or warnings during Msq load. I clicked "View" and it gave me the "Firmware signature mismatch" message like before but this time it gave me the choice to "Update ecu definition" unlike the message screenshot I sent you. I selected "Update ecu definition" and it gave a message " TunerStudio has an ECU definition ini file to support your your controllers firmware." Firmware and required serial signature were both 3.3.3. I clicked yes to use TunerStudio Ecu definition file. TS was able to connect. Went to Proj properties/Can Devices and added the Can1 device. For the Device Config file I had to browse for the can_egt.ini file again. (This is the second I had to browse for can_egt.ini) After that the CAN EGT button was added to the menu bar and everything was simple after that. The key was to view the Audit log message so it could bring up the correct Signature Mismatch screen in order to update the ECU definition. Thank you for your time. Norm
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sounds like you browsed for the wrong ini file on the first attempt.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As James said, it sounds like you browsed to the wrong ini file. When you create the MS2 project, you don't browse to the CAN-EGT ini file but to the MS2 ini file (or let TunerStudio find the correct one). It's only when you add a CAN device that you browse to the CAN-EGT ini file.

There are 2 ini files for your project since you are using 2 devices: the MS2 and the CAN-EGT. The MS2 is the main device so this is the ini file to use when creating the project. When you add a CAN device then you use its ini file. This would also be the case if you added any additional CAN devices.

It would be simpler if TunerStudio were able to scan the CAN bus when adding CAN devices but unfortunately that's not a feature that is implemented and I don't know if it will be. If that were present, you wouldn't even have to care about the ini file and could let TunerStudio find the right one.

Jean
ngrimm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrimm »

Thank you to everyone that gave of their time to help me. I think this will work great for what we are trying to do. I do have one small problem. I am using the basic rectangular numeric readout for EGT and the numbers count up and down a bit, maybe three degrees C. Is there a way to reduce the resolution or something that would keep them from cycling up and down so much? Thank you. Norm