TinyIOX installation setup questions

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

arran
Master MS/Extra'er

TinyIOX installation setup questions

Post by arran »

Hi,
I am planning to install a TinyIOX, mainly for the availability of the additional analog inputs.

Is there any reason that I should not expect the IO to work the same way (after i set it up in the project) that I am used to for the native ms3, ms3x IO?

I want to add a second map sensor for barometric correction, a second speed sensor for traction control, move my 3 axis accelerometer to tinyIOX (from main unit).

Another install option is to buy the v3.57 case, remove the LEDs and driver transistors from the PCB and install the TinyIOX inside the main case and connect via the db15 plug. I like the idea that everything is together, but do recognise that having a connection point under the bonnet (the TinyIOX) makes life a bit easier in the future.
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TinyIOX installation setup questions

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm not sure what you mean by having the IO work the same way but there are differences in how you need to set this up. First you have to build the input conditioning circuits because the TinyIOx only provides direct access to the CPU pins. So, depending on the input types you want to use, you will need a few discrete components for each input.

Once you have the hardware side set, you also need to configure the settings for the TinyIOx inputs in your project then you need to configure the MS3 to read (poll) the CAN data from theTinyIOx and finally you need to configure your MS3 to use the CAN data. That last part is the same as you would do if you were configuring the MS3 to use one of its IOs but instead of setting the input as one of the MS3 pin, you set it as one of the CAN data (CANADCx or CANPWMx or...).

Note that there will be a small delay between what the sensor reads and when the MS3 uses the data due to transfer over the CAN bus. For barometric correction, this is insignificant but for something like traction control, that might need to be taken into account.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

Thanks,

It is your last paragraph that is the sort of info I was looking for.

It just occurred to me that I don't need ADC for speed. I need a digital Input.

I could move the fuel pressure input to the TinyIOX, and use that freed up ADC for something else . Was also thinking about adding a flex fuel sensor and running an Ethanol tune, any reason I should be cautious running that to TinyIOX?

Anything else to look out for? I'm not looking forward to wrestling with the wiring loom and I don't want to do it twice if I can get it right the first time

Arran
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The speed input needs to be a timer input (at least on the TinyIOx). And the flex signal is also a pulsed signal which requires a timer input but MS3 doesn't seem to allow a CAN input for it (it does on MS2/Extra). It is unfortunate because that would be something that would be safe to have on the TinyIOx.

Any input that isn't involved in some feature that requires the ECU to react in a fraction of a second will be safe to have on the TinyIOx. So any data that is for logging purposes is always fine. Data that changes slowly in time (e.g. barometric pressure) is also fine. If the data is used in some sort of closed loop control, you need to see what a short delay in getting the data could result in. The delay in very small but it is not the same as the immediate reading from an ECU input and this delay might have some variation which could have an addition impact.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

Is there a go-to-place to see what functions are supported over CAN?
I was also wondering about moving my EGT probes to TinyOX (if I put it in the engine bay) so it is easier to change the probes in the future. I have enabled EGT safety to cut fuel and spark when it exceeds a certain temp. Probably not critical if there is a fraction of a second delay, but is that supported over CAN?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I must say I don't know if there is a place where the CAN enabled functions are listed. However, for each function you can select the input or output port and if you see a name that starts with CAN then that's a CAN I/O. For the EGTs, you can select a CANADC input. And this is definitely a type of input that makes sense to put on a CAN device.

One thing though about EGTs that you may or may not be aware of: you cannot connect a type K thermocouple directly to an ADC input. You need a specialized amplifier chip.

Jean
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

I see what you mean, I can go and look at a particular function and see all the CANs in the dropdown for the IO

I do understand how the thermocouple needs to work, I am using two probes currently and the consideration is about moving them from the MS3/3X to TinyIOx, thanks for the heads up.
thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thedrew »

I was planning on using the TinyIO board for per cylinder o2 sensors (0-5v adc inputs) -- anyone else using the board for that?
VW Turbo Buggy 2276cc MS3X sequential
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

thedrew wrote:I was planning on using the TinyIO board for per cylinder o2 sensors (0-5v adc inputs) -- anyone else using the board for that?
There are a few.

I was wondering which controller you were planning on using and if you already have them. I ask because you can also use completely digital solutions instead of using the analog signals. But that requires you to use either the Innovate LC-1/LC-2/MTX-L (using the RS232 serial port) or the 14point7 SLC OEM (using the I2C port).

Jean
thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thedrew »

racingmini_mtl wrote: I was wondering which controller you were planning on using and if you already have them. I ask because you can also use completely digital solutions instead of using the analog signals. But that requires you to use either the Innovate LC-1/LC-2/MTX-L (using the RS232 serial port) or the 14point7 SLC OEM (using the I2C port).

Jean
I was planning on using 14point7 spartan2 controllers
VW Turbo Buggy 2276cc MS3X sequential
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

While you can't use a digital signal from the Spartan2, it has a useful feature that it sends calibration signals every time you power up so you can compensate for any ground and 5V offset. Alan To has a post on the forum about the process.

Jean
Wergilius
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Wergilius »

Also a setup question, but a different one:

What table and table offset should be used when setting up the remote ports polling, standard is table 7, offset 75?
(i have not manged to find information about this)
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Wergilius wrote:What table and table offset should be used when setting up the remote ports polling, standard is table 7, offset 75?
The offset on the TinyIOx is 45. The table number remains 7 but the default CAN ID for the TinyIOx is 4.

Jean
Wergilius
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Wergilius »

Thank you.

I'm planing for a smaller mod but I still have the card installed, the not named holes (in red rectangle)
are they free to use or connected to anything?

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

This is used to program the blank CPU after I assemble the boards. So you can't use these.

Jean