More than a CAN gauge!

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KeithBoden
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: More than a CAN gauge!

Post by KeithBoden »

Purchase complete, great deal!
Camaro, Mark IV aluminum big block Chevy, 8.8l, Procharger F1-R @ 12psi, MS3Pro
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

How do you go about wiring this gauge in? I assume 2 can wires power and ground and there's 3 0-5v inputs?
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

The big black cable has 8 conductors.
12v
GND
Input 1
Input 2
Input 3
5v Out
Digital In
Digital Out

And the second cable is a stereo cable (3.5mm jack) for CANH and CANL
I cannot power the gauge with the stereo jack because the leds on the gauge draw too much current for a small wire like that.
Best looking and most advanced CAN-bus gauge
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
Serial to Bluetooth or Serial to WiFi
DIYAutotune Canadian, EFI Source and ECUMaster reseller!
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

Does the sensor ground go back to the ms3? The can wires connect to a ms3-pro how?

Also you say compatible with 150psi pressure senders. Would I be able to use say a 30psi sender and have a calibration screen like the one in Tuner-studio under generic sensors? I'd like to add 2 pressure and one temp sensor to my current ms3-pro set up to just to data log.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Can connection question. Since this won't be my only can wired in, is there a resistor to take out?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

LSXCutty wrote:Does the sensor ground go back to the ms3? The can wires connect to a ms3-pro how?

Also you say compatible with 150psi pressure senders. Would I be able to use say a 30psi sender and have a calibration screen like the one in Tuner-studio under generic sensors? I'd like to add 2 pressure and one temp sensor to my current ms3-pro set up to just to data log.
Regarding the ground, you can ground it anywhere you want as long as all the sensors directly connected to the gauge are at the same spot.
Regarding the connections to an ms3pro, The gauge comes with around 3-4 ft and a stereo male plug. I also include a female plug with around 1ft of cable. So you can extend and solder it the the ms3pro CAN wires

Yes, you'll be able to use the pressure sensor with a custom calibration. But regarding the temp sensor, it requires a calibration table and I'm only supporting my sensors for the moment. The oil temp sensor is 17$.
nathaninwa wrote:Can connection question. Since this won't be my only can wired in, is there a resistor to take out?
There is a jumper on the back of the gauge to add or remove the 120 ohms resistor that is needed at the end of the CANbus. You need to leave the jumper if you dont have any other CAN devices.
Toyota Supra 7MGE, 7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE Plug and play ECUs: http://www.perfecttuning.net
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Too bad there's no shipping to Europe. BTW, how many channels can it display simultaniously?
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

check your pm.

3 channels at this moment on the same screen. I'll also design a screen with 4 values. One in each corner.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

How far out is delivery for those of us that have already purchased?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

Shipped yesterday! I'll send tracking info today
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

My friend got his for Christmas. Teased me with pictures! Looks like a very nice pc. Excited to get mine and try it out in my Volvo before mounting in my race car
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sportage4x4 »

Just unboxed mine! Nice piece indeed.

Where can I find info on this wifi software?
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

I'll place the user manual on my website today. I'll update here when it's done.
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

There is a 10% discount for the boxing day until January 2, 2017. Use coupon code BOX2016

Here is the user manual: http://perfecttuning.net/en/index.php?c ... achment=13
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Got mine. Very nicely done. Within 10 minutes of taking it out of the package, I had configured several alarms, customized some screens, and had it communicating with an MS3 over CAN.

One little glitch I noticed, if I assigned a particular item to a different channel, it still kept the channel name you configured as default. If a piece of a a screen was assigned "NA" as delivered from you, it accepted the name of the channel I assigned to it.

Are there any plans for user defined parameters for the LED ring? I think it could usefully be used as a tach if at least half of it could be assigned independant of the displayed channels.

The alarms work GREAT!!! I really like this product, and we have been looking at making and marketing something similar. (obviously we are too late). Would you have any interest in a US dealer?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

Thanks for your great comments!

Please send me a picture of the glitch you found with a short explanation at support @ perfecttuning.net. I'll take a look at it.

I want to add more features to the gauge so all suggestions are welcomed. Give me details of how you see it and I'll see what I can do.
I have few ideas regarding the led ring but I'm not sure yet how I'll do that.

I'll start the second production of the gauge very soon and yes I'm looking for US dealers.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Mine will be heee Friday tracking says. If time permits I'll hook it temporary to my 2j car this weekend
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

Alright so during some upgrades to my car this winter I pre-ordered up a gauge. I received it right before Christmas but did not get around to installing it until this past weekend.

Wiring was all straight forward. Followed the directions and it was receiving info from my MS3-Pro right off the bat. Also at this time I installed a microsquirt to control a transmission.

As of right now I have a IAT sensor wired into input 1 of the gauge and nothing on the other 2 input as of right now. At first I was getting strange readings on input one and it was not reading the correct Temp.

I contacted PerfectTuning thru Facebook on Sunday. To my surprised he responded to me within minutes! We went thru somethings together and found a bug in the firmware of the gauge. Where I had configured all the inputs in the gauge to be TEMP sensors. I change them to only input 1 was a temp and it straightened it right out. He told me that he would fix it and release it in the next firmware upgrade. Cool

The car is not running at this second because I am still not down with the transmission install. But I do have the Microsquirt hooked up and on the can network. So I noticed when I had the TPS showing on the gauge it was lagging bad. I contacted again thru facebook and reported what I had found. He was aware of the issue of the lag with other devices on the can network. He told me that he would rewrite the code and get it working and be in touch when he had some new firmware.

So today (in 3 days) he has rewrote some code and sent it to me.

It is working Flawlessly!

I have to say that this is some of the best support of any product I ever owed! Car or otherwise related.

The gauge is awesome. I thought it may have been hard to read being so Busy with all the info you can have displayed. My major factor in buying it in the first place was the extra I/O. But I was wrong, The display is fantastic. Its so crisp and easy to read, its really amazing.

So I thought I would come on here and let you guys know my experience. I am very pleased. In talking he said he was still going to be working on firmware upgrades in the future to add more options with what all you can do with it. Awesome!
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

There is a 10% off in March!

Now with a new carbon faceplate!
facebookpromo.jpg
Suprazz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Suprazz »

There is a contest right now to win a Perfect Tuning Universal Gauge.

Visit the facebook page of PerfectTuning, like and comment the publication to win!

https://www.facebook.com/PerfectTuning.net/