JBperf 4-Channel Ignition/Injection Driver Board

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

JBperf 4-Channel Ignition/Injection Driver Board

Post by lotus23C »

I have a JBperf 4-Channel Ignition/Injection Driver Board. One of the injector FETs appears to have just gone and stuck on. The car drove onto the trailer running perfectly and came off the trailer the next day running on three. The injector stays open on power up and floods that cylinder.
FETs are VND5N07
Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks
Patrick
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: JBperf 4-Channel Ignition/Injection Driver Board

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Unfortunately it does happen and not only on my board but also on the other MS boards which use the same component (Microsquirt and MS3X). It's not frequent but it is something that has occurred.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

As Jean said, it had happen on MS products too. Try Jean's alternative solution to replace the faulty VND with an uprated one. I know a make of car that always blow the standard VND on microsquirt v3. So I always change them before sending the ECU to customers.

Regards,
Manu
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

Thanks for this.
I have already ordered new fets, but what do you recommend as an upgrade if it happens again?

thanks
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I would look at the VND7N04.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

I replaced the FET (and another suspect one just to be sure) and after 2-3 hrs running it has happened again on the same Inj. 1 This time failing open.
The injectors all read the same resistance as does the loom. I was careful soldering in the replacement and did it quickly to avoid overheating. Each time I pull this thing apart, I end up with Hospital induced illness, it is so easy to damage things soldering and unsoldering, assembling etc..
Jean, I am going to have to try those other FETS and possibly buy another board to tidy it up.
02plus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 02plus »

why did diyautotune/JBperf change this ?How often occurs this ?
Bmw M535 lpg
Bmw 2002
VW bus 2.2 subaru
MS2extra
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

lotus23C wrote:I replaced the FET (and another suspect one just to be sure) and after 2-3 hrs running it has happened again on the same Inj. 1 This time failing open.
The injectors all read the same resistance as does the loom. I was careful soldering in the replacement and did it quickly to avoid overheating. Each time I pull this thing apart, I end up with Hospital induced illness, it is so easy to damage things soldering and unsoldering, assembling etc..
Jean, I am going to have to try those other FETS and possibly buy another board to tidy it up.
Well, the VND7N04 is not available from RS, they recommend the VND5N07 as an equivalent.
Digi key will sell me no less than 2500
Mouser will sell me any amount with a $26 postage charge (to New Zealand) which is a bit steep, however if I order 31 of them, postage is free.
If the VND7N04 is the answer, it doesn't cost much more and postage is free if you order 31+ why is this not standard equipment on these kits?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I think I would buy all 31 and become a dealer! :lol:

Sorry! Just couldn't resist. :)

Ken

EDIT: Is the high shipping price due to some sort of import duty charged by NZ, or..........
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Can you get the VND7NV04?

And the reason I use the VND5N07 is because I want the kit to be compatible with the other MS boards (Microsquirt, Microsquirt module and MS3X). And I am not in a position to do durability testing to see if these alternatives are actually better in all cases. From the specs alone, the VND5N07 should be more than good enough in this application.

Jean
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

kjones6039 wrote:I think I would buy all 31 and become a dealer! :lol:
Sorry! Just couldn't resist. :)
Ken
EDIT: Is the high shipping price due to some sort of import duty charged by NZ, or..........
Yea, I did think seriously about buying a load and on-selling, however I have very little knowledge of these things to back what I'm selling.
And, no, that shipping cost is purely shipping, mind you, i'll be here in 2-3 days.
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Can you get the VND7NV04?

And the reason I use the VND5N07 is because I want the kit to be compatible with the other MS boards (Microsquirt, Microsquirt module and MS3X). And I am not in a position to do durability testing to see if these alternatives are actually better in all cases. From the specs alone, the VND5N07 should be more than good enough in this application.

Jean
Sorry, Jean, I realize this is a generic circuit that you have re-packaged. Yes, I can get the VND7NV04. the RDS(on) value was quite different to the other two, so wasn't sure it was acceptable.
Car now going with another VND5N07 and I have swapped injectors just in case that's the problem. We'll see how I go.
thanks
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The lower Rds(on) is actually a good thing because that means less heat in the driver itself.

Jean