Open source GPIO alternative for msgpio

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Open source GPIO alternative for msgpio

Post by jsdevel »

I'm contemplating purchasing the msgpio board from diyautitune. The msgpio.com site sort of scares me. The documentation is a little rough and all the sample code is B&G. I'm a fairly good programmer, but don't have much experience with embedded stuff (I'd like to start though!). They also reference this really old version of CodeWarrior that I can't seem to find online.

Based on what msextra has done, would there be any legal issues with creating an open source project on GitHub that provided a starter GPIO project?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Open source GPIO alternative for msgpio

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What are you trying to do? have you seen the jbperf tiny iox? Jean is always around here and the product is well known, documented and supported. http://jbperf.com/io_extender/tinyIOx.html
Oh and while I am thinking about it you can also turn a microsquirt into an io box. All the details for that are down the bottom of the manuals section.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As mentioned, consider those other options. Other customers have also used microcontrollers from different manufacturers and built their own firmware to send and receive over CAN.

Regarding your specific question. As far as I'm aware, if you did go ahead and buy the MSGPIO hardware, there's nothing stopping you using firmware of your own creation on it. However, while you can view it, none of the Megasquirt firmware is open-source so any work you post on github or whatever would need to be yours from the ground up. i.e. you cannot take MS2/Extra as the basis of something open-source. MS2/Extra isn't licensed to be used on MSGPIO either.

However, if you did decide to do something using the m68hc11-gcc compiler, there may be elements of the MS2/Extra build environment that could be re-used. e.g. parts of the Makefile, memory.x or m68hc12elfb.x - ask me directly.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

I've looked at tiny iox and almost went that direction. What I'm really after is a package like the msgpio which has a case and such. I'm out of room in my MS2 case for tiny iox. I also think it would be fun to experiment with embedded programming which is why I'm looking at msgpio. Didn't know that about the Microsquirt! That could be a very cost effective option.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Unless I've lost track, the MicroSquirt-based IOBox is quite limited when used with an MS2; it really is set up for the MS3.

If installed outside the MS2 enclosure, the TIOx needs to be in a housing of its own, with a power supply and filter / I/O circuits, depending on what you had in mind. You might consider the full-sized IO-Extender, which is a little more DIY-friendly if you don't have your own copy of EagleCAD and the addresses of various board manufacturers in your email address book. :D
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Is the full IOExtender board still for sale? I don't see any purchase links on jbperf.com.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

slow_hemi6, another thing I'd like to achieve is 4 EGT inputs without having to purchase a dedicated CAN EGT box for $300.
Alfagta
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Alfagta »

jsdevel wrote:slow_hemi6, another thing I'd like to achieve is 4 EGT inputs without having to purchase a dedicated CAN EGT box for $300.
Take a look into this http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=62735.

Best Regards
Alfa 156 GTA
Alfa 75 Race Car MS III -- alway latest FW
Alfa 164 V6 Turbo
Alfa 155 2,5TD RIP
Test MS II --always latest FW
Tunerstudio V2.6.11 Registered
MegaLog Viewer V3.4.04 Registered