CAN-EGT EGO Not Working In TS

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

CAN-EGT EGO Not Working In TS

Post by CMac89 »

I've been having an issue where I am able to get EGTs to read, but I cannot get my two CAN EGO outputs to work. You can see the msq file for how I have the settings. I have tried to connect directly to the module by creating a project for it but i get a timeout message that I attached. I also attached the msq I used for the direct connection to the module.

I have tried to connect the OUT of the LC2 and my MTX-L to the serial port of the module, but cannot get either to display. Anyone have an idea of what I could have wrong? I have verified that the analog outputs are reading in TS.
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Fully Sequential, SVO Odd Fire V6
IGN-1A Coils - Brisk resistor plugs
12 magnet IW wheel (troubleshooting Holley 554-124)
Ford factory half-moon hall effect cam sensor
Using Dual Wheel non-missing tooth crank wheel strategy
Twin Turbo / TH400
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: CAN-EGT EGO Not Working In TS

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Exactly how did you connect the LC2 and MTX-L to the CAN-EGT? And how did you try to communicate with the CAN-EGT: through the CAN bus using the MS3 and CAN passthrough or through the USB port on the CAN-EGT? Also, why does the error message say CAN USB?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CMac89 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Exactly how did you connect the LC2 and MTX-L to the CAN-EGT? And how did you try to communicate with the CAN-EGT: through the CAN bus using the MS3 and CAN passthrough or through the USB port on the CAN-EGT? Also, why does the error message say CAN USB?

Jean
I'm trying to daisy chain them, but for sake of testing I undid the daisy chain and plugged the 4-pin to serial innovate cable into the OUT of the MTX-L then plugged the serial barrel connector into the CAN EGT box. I tried to connect via CAN bus and by the USB port on the CAN EGT on separate occassions. The 'CAN USB' came from a project I set up strictly for testing the EGT module whenever I directly connected through USB, thus receiving the screen shot I posted.

Over CAN bus, I am getting the EGT signals but no O2. So far I haven't successfully gotten anything to readout by directly connecting. I think I'm doing something wrongly.
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Twin Turbo / TH400
CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CMac89 »

Any ideas? :)
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Twin Turbo / TH400
CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CMac89 »

TTT???
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Twin Turbo / TH400
CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CMac89 »

I was able to get it working tonight after reflashing the firmware and loading the config file. Seems when I created a project for the CAN EGT via USB, I set up a CAN device for it, but that was unnecessary. After I got it to read through USB, I then went back to my main controller project to get it to work through CAN BUS and got it to work after realizing that I was getting a weird offset because my AFR gauges are gas stoich and I had TS stoich at 9.8, so there was a 5 point offset.

So, whenever I started the motor up to finally do some tuning, all of a sudden I got an Active Filter in autotune of "calibrating O2" and now the CANEGT device can't be recognized. I tried to hook it up to USB and i'm getting a message in the footer of TS saying invalid data received.

I also tried to reload firmware and it isn't giving me the option to. The command prompt just flashes whenever I click the batch file.

Is there a common failure mode and resolution to sudden drops of detection of the CAN EGT module?

Any help would be appreciated as i'm running out of ideas and can't seem to get help.
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Twin Turbo / TH400
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It is probably best to contact your supplier directly for support. Your configuration may well be too specific for many readers here to be able to help.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. But I do know that with MS3 there is no need or desire to add the CAN EGT as a "CAN device" in your project, don't do it. Instead configure the MS3 to collect the EGT and O2 data from the CANEGT with the relevant settings. The CANEGT manual shows the EGT part for sure.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
CMac89
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CMac89 »

I'll have a follow back up with DIY again. I removed adding a CAN device in the project as you mentioned and seems to not really have made much difference so that's good. Really the only issue I have is that I'm not able to get the CAN EGO to read. Seems the EGT box will only communicate over USB very inconsistently. I got it to attempt to connect today, once, and the few other times I tried, it was unresponsive, but I'll have to talk to them about that.

If the EGT box doesn't a device to be added in the project, then do you know how I would go about changing and applying the CAN EGT's tune file? Also, where would I be able to get the EGT box's s tune file signature and configuration signature to match?
MS3Pro Ultimate
1994 Thunderbird SC
Twin Turbo / TH400
dll67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dll67 »

Post an update to your situation so others having the same problem can benefit.
MS3PU/IOx/CAN-EGT/DBWx2 540ci BBC 325cc int runners (2)innovate LC2 wbo2's, Hilborn ITB injector cnvrtd to EFI, 55LB Inj, d585 coil near plg, 60-2 trg whl & cam ph snsr, Muncie 4spd w/10T VSS, Tilton 7.25" cerametalic cltch 8.5LB flywhl
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

CMac89 wrote:If the EGT box doesn't a device to be added in the project, then do you know how I would go about changing and applying the CAN EGT's tune file? Also, where would I be able to get the EGT box's s tune file signature and configuration signature to match?
You wouldn't. That's the whole point. You don't need any of those to get the CAN-EGT to work with MS3.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
MS2tester
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MS2tester »

you can fix a lot with port port scanner
if you still have problems and code loading does not work
you can hard reset the CAN EGT by having 2 pins (where it says BOOT ) on the board connected while turning on the power
http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1282
http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1550