CAN-EGT+ help

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

CAN-EGT+ help

Post by hobieboy »

When I plugged the board into the USB on my Win7 PC, Windows complained about device not recognized. When I opened Device Manager, it shows up as Other Devices / CAN-EGT+ but does not have a driver so Windows doesn't really install / activate it for use.

What driver do I need to load for this?

thanks!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: CAN-EGT+ help

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It should recognize it automatically as it is an FTDI chip similar to what you have in USB-serial adapters. The driver is available on the FTDI web site: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Also, you don't even need to have the unit powered up to be recognized by the PC because the USB circuit is isolated from the rest of the board and is powered by the USB port on your PC. Of course, it has to be powered up to communicate with the CAN-EGT.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

I am using the same PC & Tunerstudio to connect to MS3 over USB without issue so the FTDI driver should be working properly.
It sounds like my board is indeed somehow damaged?

Jean, I am using the CAN-EGT+ board from you. Is there any other way I can test the board? Or try reloading the CPU with firmware again?

thanks!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

What you can do is connect the CAN bus between the CAN-EGT and the MS3, connect the MS3 to the PC (you can also connect the CAN-EGT to the PC), and run the port scanner.

If you don't see the CAN-EGT displayed in the list then there is an issue. You will want to measure if you have 5V on the board; you can check that at the proto area. Make sure you have 12V on the board.

If you do see 5V on the board but don't see the CAN-EGT on the port scanner list, try using the bootloader header (labeled BOOT besides JP4). Power off the board, short both pins (the pin outside the 2-row 22-pin JP4 header and the one just besides it), then power up the board with the short still in place. This will put the CPU in bootloader mode. You can remove the short after the unit is powered up. Then run the port scanner once more with the CAN-EGT and MS3 both connected to the CAN bus. If the CPU and the CAN chip are working, you will see the unit listed.

Let me know what you find out. You can also post screen capture of the port scanner output if you're not sure.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

I downloaded v1.2 of the portscan app but it says that "cannot open COM3 port" when I hit scan ports.
I opened Tunerstudio, it can connect to MS3 without issue (but does not see the CAN-EGT board - it shows an error/warning message). The port I am using for MS3 is "FTDI - D2XX driver".
Windows device manager says COM3 is bad because the driver does not have a valid signature.

For background: The board was working fine until I swapped to different coils recently. While testing the new coils, I suspect because I left a few "open" without spark plug wires connected to them and started coil testing with MS3, it arc-ed and somehow killed the EGT board. I suspect this because when I launched the test, MS3 still sees the EGT board then out of the blue it says lost communication with CAN-EGT and it never comes back.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Does the port scanner see the MS3 or is that connected to COM3? Can you specify exactly what is connected where and can you post a screen capture of the port scanner? And if you're using the D2XX driver in TunerStudio, you may not have the FTDI VCP driver loaded (the one I linked before). And make sure nothing is using the port before you run the port scanner (close TunerStudio).

From what you say, it is possible that you have something on the board that is either marginal, failing or failed and that is it draining more current than it should. This would heat up the 5V voltage regulator which would shut down when it gets too hot from this excess current. As I said, you need to measure if you have 5V on the board and you should do that both when it works at the beginning and after it doesn't. You can also check the temperature of the voltage regulator (small chip between the 2 large capacitors) but carefully because if it shuts down due to heat, it will be extremely hot; you might want to touch lightly the board itself around the chip first or use an infrared thermometer.

Jean
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

The port scanner simply throws an error message saying cannot connect to COM3, which device manager is showing as USB serial port with a yellow triangle warning sign over it saying that the driver's signature cannot be verified so port is not activated. Nothing is using any port when I launched port scanner (Tunerstudio is not running).

I have also check +5V pins in the proto-area, and unfortunately I am not getting any voltage. I validated the supply +12V is there so I must have blown the voltage regulator? I know there was +5V before as I mounted a MPX-4250 here as my baro-correction sensor before & it was working. Is it possible to get help with repair?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The voltage regulator is usually quite robust and will simply shut down if something drains too much current. What you are most likely seeing is that one of the chips on the board or many of them or all of them have failed which results in a short on the 5V supply. This is very difficult to diagnose remotely and even with the board in hand it requires removing chips until you get 5V back.

You may want to check if any of the chips get hot but that may get you only a partial answer. Note that the thermocouple amplifier chips are not powered by 5V and neither is the FTDI chip.

Jean
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Jean, do you still sell replacements of these boards?

thanks!
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Or may I ask if the DIYAutotune CAN-EGT+ a direct replacement? Is it possible to use 2 of those inputs for non-EGT sensors (e.g. pressure in my case)?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I have boards but I don't have all needed components in hand. I need to check exactly what would be needed.

And as far as I know, the DIYAutotune version can only be had with 8 EGT inputs; there is no option to use the inputs for generic analog signals.

Jean
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Jean,
Can you please look... or would it help to get you the board I have?

I'll be in Montreal tomorrow in fact :)

I also prefer yours since I mounted the PCB into a custom ECU case I have already so having the DIYAutotune one will end up being more difficult & I still need to find way to get that 2 analog sensors back.

Thanks!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'll check. And I'm no longer in Montreal but in Quebec. In any case, I wouldn't like to reuse chips that have gone through a few soldering/desoldering heat cycles unless I have to. I do know I don't have the thermocouple amplifier chips but need to see for all the rest.

Jean
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Do you mind looking? Should I check back via PM or ??? in a few days?
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Jean, did you have a chance to look into this?
Sent you a PM as well.

thanks!