Setting up Tiniox jbperf board over bluetooth

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Setting up Tiniox jbperf board over bluetooth

Post by euro2fast4u »

hello all,

Trying to connect and setup the tinyIOx board by Jean. Wired up and all and looking into the old forums and threads and am getting lost.

I tried to do the port scan but i think that only works for usb connections hardwired to the computer. Ive had so many issues with these connections that when i found out bluetooth worked and worked well i gave up on the db-9 to usb cable a few years ago.

Given that is there a way to connect the tinyiox board and megasquirt 2?

Thanks all,
euro
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Setting up Tiniox jbperf board over bluetooth

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If your Bluetooth connection is over a COM port then the port scanner should see it. At least it works on my computer. But it is possible that very slow connections will time out.

Please detail how you have everything wired and post a project backup file containing both the TinyIOx and the MS2. Or at least post the msq for both.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thanks Jean,

I looked through the device manager, and when i search for the bluetooth connection its actually underneath BT not COM.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/download/ ... w&id=55610

As for wiring, i have jumpers from js6 to CANH
js8 to CANL
proto area ground to ground pad on Tiny
proto area 5+ to 5+ pad on Tiny

This is my understanding the most up to date firmware and .ini file
http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1102#p6383

Im starting to think i missed some steps setting up :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

First, which inputs and/or outputs do you want to use on the TIOx? The msq you posted only has the digital inputs configures on the MS2 but it uses the default values which are for the full size IOx not the TIOx. If you want to use the digital inputs on the TIOxm you need to use CAN ID 4 (not 5) and offset 45 (not 75); table 7 is correct. If you actually wanted to use the analog inputs (ADCs) you will want to enable their polling on the MS2 and use CAN ID 4 (the offsets and table are ok).

Regardless of which I/Os you want to use on the TIOx, you will not only need to configure the MS2 for polling but you will need to configure the TIOx as well. For that you will need to go in your project properties and go to the CAN Devices tab. TunerStudio should show you that the TIOx is connected and you need to select it and named it as you want. You will need to use the correct ini file: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/firmw ... inyIOx.ini. That will allow you to configure the TIOx within the same project as the MS2.

Let me know where you're at after that and if you do get the CAN device setup, please post the TIOx msq. If you get stuck post screenshots of the issue.

And the connections seem ok if you mean that CANH and CANL on the TIOx are connected to the MS2 JS6,JS88.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thanks Jean,

I think i need to take baby steps right now. So i adjusted the project settings, but it was not finding the board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Alright everyone. Got everything working on my end except the firmware number.

Once the connections to ms and tiny were good everythiing seemed to work as expected, under project settings i added the can board and it was registering. for me port scanner was not working.

As for the firmware issue i may need a new .ini file Jean.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I gave you the link to the correct ini file in my previous post. Here it is again: http://www.jbperf.com/io_extender/firmw ... inyIOx.ini.

Jean
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thank you I missed that part on the post :(
Smorris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smorris »

How many liquid dolphins you pumping into that bad boy?
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Hi Jean,

I finally got around to finalizing the installation. However during this time my laptop died and i can no longer connected to the board again. :( :(

I was able to read it once but at this time im currently stuck in the following position.

I also updated the .ini file per your previous posts.

if i proceed with the selecting can id 4. i get the following error.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You will need to check your CAN bus connection because it seems to be down. With the power off, check that you have continuity on CANH and CANL between the MS2 and the TinyIOx. If you can't see the TIOx in the TunerStudio list, then you won't be able to communicate with it and neither will the MS2.

Also, make sure that you have 5V at the TIOx and that nothing is getting hot on the board (mainly the CPU).

There's one more thing you can check about your Bluetooth connection. Initially you showed the Bluetooth items in the device manager however you would need to check in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section to see if you have a Bluetooth link. That's what I have and I can use the port scanner with Bluetooth (as long as TunerStudio is no open and locking the port).

Jean
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

So i checked continuity and power. all checked out ok. Did find an error in one solder, more of a stray wire shorting out.

i do have it connected through a set of db15 connectors to make connections easy.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

At this point, there are 2 things you could do. One is to check that the TinyIOx is still working and that would require you to connect to the serial port using the correct cable. The second is to use an oscilloscope and check that you have a CAN signal all the way from the MS2 CPU to the TIOx CPU in both directions.

If all the wiring is correct as you say and you have 5V at the board and nothing gets hot, the possible issues are a failed CPU (partially or completely) and/or a failed CAN transceiver. It is also possible that the CAN transceiver on the MS2 has failed.

Jean
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thats not fun. ill remove all the solders and bench test it again.
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Well i removed the wires and soldered in new ones to see if its the joints that were bad. Nothing

What is the correct cable?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

euro2fast4u wrote:...What is the correct cable?
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Hi jean, I think i meant what cable should i use. After doing some research it looks like you meant the LC1 cable. I now have the cable to test it by itself.

Currently i have the USB to DB9 cable and this is working correctly. I tested the cabled by connecting to the ecu. i was also able to port scan and see the MS2.

I took the LC1 cable and attached it to my adapter and plugged it into the tiny board. Unfortunately i can not read it and the computer is not recognizing it.

Let me know what i should try next.
Ryan
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You cannot use the LC1 cable directly between the PC and the TIOx because the TIOx is designed to have the role of the PC when connected to the LC1. So you would need to swap RX and TX on the LC1 cable. That can be done with a null modem adapter on the DB9 or by swapping pins 2 and 3 on the DB9 (what the null modem does) or by swapping the tip and ring on the 2.5mm plug.

Jean
euro2fast4u
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by euro2fast4u »

Thanks Jean,

swapped 2 and 3 between the LC1 cable and my usb->db9 cabel. Then provided 5 volts and ground to Tinyiox. similar result.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Was that using the port scanner on the PC? You should check if any chip on the TIOx gets hot when powered up.

One more thing you can try is the use the bootloader jumper. You will see a header marked BOOT on the board. With the power off, jump the 2 pads together (use a short piece of wire or a paper clip to connect both pads) then power up the TIOx with the pads shorted. Once it is powered up, you can remove the jumper. Then run the port scanner. If the TIOx is working, you will see it in the list and there will be a note that it is in bootloader mode. You should then reload the firmware. Don't connect the TIOx to the CAN bus for this (or connect it to the CAN bus but not the serial port).

If you can't get any response from either the CAN bus or the serial port even with the bootloader mode, that would indicate a failure of some sort. It would normally also come with a chip becoming hot which would indicate where the failure is. It possible that no chip becomes hot and there is still a failure but this is less common.

Jean