VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

Post by mynameistory »

Hi all,

I posted this at the VW shoptalkforums but I figured I'd cover more bases. I'm moving away from my MS1 v2.2 and EDIS ignition to a new MS3Pro EVO. I'm still going to run wasted spark, except using a smart coil this time. The VW 106B/106E coil is a popular choice for this application.

I got the coil/plug wires (and ECU) from Mario @thedubshop.com (thanks Mario!), but I need some help with the particulars. Specifically, the coil side terminals are kinda weird. Mario has had good experience assembling the wires by using the friction of the terminal boot to keep the wire in contact, but I'm hoping I can find parts to make this connection more robust/OEM. Can anyone point me in the right direction here as far as crimp terminals go? There's a close-up shot of what's inside the little plastic pieces- they look like mini HEI towers. I'm also considering cutting up OEM wires and putting normal spark plug terminals on the other end, but two of the wires per set are WAY too short. I'd need to spend $150-200 in plug wire kits to get wires long enough to reach all 4 cylinders (aircooled VW).

Also, I made a few of these universal mount brackets by welding threaded stainless spacers to a flat plate. If these coils get more popular, I can make more or turn over the design to Mario to include in a kit.

Thanks!
-Tory
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

Post by ChevelleFan »

I was having a conversation with another guy, ScottRS, about these coils. Do a search for his username, as he runs these coils on a Ford V8.
ScottRS wrote:I used a wireset for my engine ('93ish Ford 5.0 in my case), the coil packs are about where the distributor used to be, but I cut off the distributor ends of the wires and crimped LS1 coil ends on instead. The LS1 ends I used are MSD part number 3304 (come in a 2 pack, Amazon, Summit, Jegs, etc., all have them) and fit like they're supposed to be on the VW coils.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have bought bulk wire, spark plug terminals, LS1 coil ends,
hope this helps,

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevelleFan »

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mynameistory »

Dave, this is just the info I was looking for. Thanks! I'll respond to your PM in a bit.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mynameistory »

The LS1 terminals fit great. The boots are snug on 8mm wires and the coil towers, and the connection positively clicks into place. The PNs I'm using here are MSD 3304. Thanks ChevelleFan and ScottRS!

LS1 terminals on a VW 106B/106E coil <---(youtube)
porsche913b_sp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by porsche913b_sp »

mynameistory wrote:Hi all,

I posted this at the VW shoptalkforums but I figured I'd cover more bases. I'm moving away from my MS1 v2.2 and EDIS ignition to a new MS3Pro EVO. I'm still going to run wasted spark, except using a smart coil this time. The VW 106B/106E coil is a popular choice for this application.

I got the coil/plug wires (and ECU) from Mario @thedubshop.com (thanks Mario!), but I need some help with the particulars. Specifically, the coil side terminals are kinda weird. Mario has had good experience assembling the wires by using the friction of the terminal boot to keep the wire in contact, but I'm hoping I can find parts to make this connection more robust/OEM. Can anyone point me in the right direction here as far as crimp terminals go? There's a close-up shot of what's inside the little plastic pieces- they look like mini HEI towers. I'm also considering cutting up OEM wires and putting normal spark plug terminals on the other end, but two of the wires per set are WAY too short. I'd need to spend $150-200 in plug wire kits to get wires long enough to reach all 4 cylinders (aircooled VW).

Also, I made a few of these universal mount brackets by welding threaded stainless spacers to a flat plate. If these coils get more popular, I can make more or turn over the design to Mario to include in a kit.

Thanks!
-Tory
Hi Tory,
I am new here, is it ok to ask to purchase the coil mount you made ? I have zero fabrication skills. Let me know if it's allowed on this forum, please message me

Thank you
Ted
mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mynameistory »

Responded to your PM.

All, if anyone is looking for a bracket for this coil, I have one more available to sell.

$40 shipped anywhere, contact me for Paypal info.

Thanks,
-Tory
Relentless7x
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Relentless7x »

I'll buy two if you're still making them. PM me with PayPal info.
mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mynameistory »

I haven't made any since the initial batch, and I am sold out. What I can do is check through my Google Drive for the CAD file, and see if I can upload it to this post. The posts are just off-the-shelf threaded stainless spacers from McMaster, tack welded to the plate.

Unfortunately I think only making two would be expensive per part. It would only make sense for me to make and sell in batches of ten or twenty at a time, and I'm just not seeing the demand for them.
mynameistory
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mynameistory »

I can't upload a dxf file.

Here's a link to the part: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98-3w ... p=drivesdk

I made them out of 0.090" 304 stainless, and I used the coil itself as a jig for tacking the spacers in place. I'll try to come up with a parts list from McMaster, it's been a while.