VR Sensor Gap

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dan Lee
MS/Extra Newbie

VR Sensor Gap

Post by Dan Lee »

I have a Ford 400 motor converted to EFI & EDIS. I use a 36-1 Reluctance wheel and a Crank Sensor of a Ford Taurus. This is not new, I have run this setup for a while, but I had a VR Sensor go bad. I replaced it and it ran for a minute. Now it won't start. I am getting intermittent spark. It appears like the sensor is not working properly.

I have ~0.020 gap between the sensor & the Trigger Wheel.

What it the spec for the gap?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VR Sensor Gap

Post by billr »

.020" is probably close enough for most, and "it ran for a minute" seems to confirm this. How do you know the old sensor failed? Have you checked the new one to see if it failed in the same manner? You might be better-served to post this in another forum here, like the "General Support" and give details of the MS system you have and the MSQ/MSL files.
Dan Lee
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dan Lee »

The trigger wheel ran into the old sensor, and destroyed it. Something came loose to cause that. I remade the bracket since, and the sensor is solid mounted. I think the previous bracket had the sensor much closer. I use an EEC-IV and EDIS-8 module. It is full sequential injection with a mass air meter.

There is no factory bracket to mount the sensor. It has to be custom, but it would be nice to have a spec for the gap. I'll have to try to get the sensor closer to the wheel.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

How about posting a tooth-log?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Spec I have here f.or the EDIS sensor gap is 0.5 - 1.5mm
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
SQLGUY
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by SQLGUY »

No idea what the spec is, but I can tell you that the wheel will grow as the engine warms up. .020 doesn't sound like much room to grow. I had to leave a decent gap when cold to ensure I had some gap when hot.
Attachments
SECA36-1Wheel2Small.JPG
SECA36-1Wheel2Small.JPG (61.78 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
gator8me2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gator8me2 »

Dan Lee wrote:I have a Ford 400 motor converted to EFI & EDIS. I use a 36-1 Reluctance wheel and a Crank Sensor of a Ford Taurus. This is not new, I have run this setup for a while, but I had a VR Sensor go bad. I replaced it and it ran for a minute. Now it won't start. I am getting intermittent spark. It appears like the sensor is not working properly.

I have ~0.020 gap between the sensor & the Trigger Wheel.

What it the spec for the gap?
I have a similar set up on my ford 5.0HO from an Explorer after putting my ms3x on it had all kinds of noise from the VR sensor and that is with a non-adjustable factory mount. I checked the gap of it and got .035". I finally cleared my signal up by notching the sensor's mounting holes so that I could cut that gap down to .015". I still get some noise from it but not near as much as before. Hope this helps.