useful vr6 coilpack information

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

majic
MS/Extra Newbie

useful vr6 coilpack information

Post by majic »

Hey everyone, I've been doing some testing with a 2001 vr6 coilpack. I'm currently using an old AT style computer power supply that is able to supply 10 amps on the +12v rail. The 12v rail isn't up to snuff anymore, and it puts out only 11v on a good day. But anyhow, that's irrelevant.

The pinout is as follows:

1: +12v
2: coil 1 signal (cylinder 1 + 4)
3: coil 2 signal (cylinder 2 + 5)
4: coil 3 signal (cylinder 3 + 6)
5: gnd

The interesting thing about this setup is that you do not have to ground out the signal pins in order to fire the coil... Instead, you need to apply a +12v signal in order to charge the primary coil. Once the primary coil is charged (dwell is on the order of milliseconds), once the +12v signal is removed, it will discharge the spark on the secondary coil (and make a spark on the output).

Since this setup will require a little bit different circuit to interface it to the MS, I'm currently designing a circuit for this purpose. I'll keep you posted on my findings, as they may be useful to others trying to MS newer VW's
natesully
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by natesully »

Uhh, can't you just set spark out to "not inverted"? I thought this is how all coils work. But you are right, I don't think MS can ouput 12V signals, so you will need a circuit (probably a transistor setup) to make this work.
95 Miata M-Edition, GT28 Turbo
majic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by majic »

Just an update -- I successfully interfaced my coilpack with the MS board. Again, this coilpack is from an '01 GTi vr6 with the 5 pin connector.

Oh, I was wrong about the +12v signal on the signal pins -- it can be +5v, too :D

I've got a prototype circuit designed that seems to be working. I'll see if I can draw it out and post it here, later.
majic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by majic »

Here we go -- this is a diagram of my interface. Nothing really fancy. The resistors I used were 1k.

I think I"m running 3ms dwell and the spark looks good. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the dwell should be?

I'm using MSI v3... so r26, r27, and r29 are connections soldered to the top of those resistors (top, when looking at the board with the "megasquirt" silk screen at the bottom)
enzo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by enzo »

majic wrote:Anyone have any suggestions as to what the dwell should be?
take a look at this pdf
http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/de/aktu ... ls/3x2.pdf
Mr.20
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: useful vr6 coilpack information

Post by Mr.20 »

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Can anyone confirm if the VR6 coil pack is a logic coilpack?

Been trying to find out with no luck.

Thanks
Mr.20
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mr.20 »

OK. Never mind my previous post. this video answers the question.
You can see the coil pack is really two sections, the three coils are located on top and the ignition module is attached below. So I suspect it should be able to take a low current signal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB01jYh0HJw
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

vr6 coil is a logic level 5v signal
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Works with led with pullup, tc4427 with 5v pullup and with 3x/pro outputs.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!