VR sensor outputs about the same? Need to select 4 geomtry

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

VR sensor outputs about the same? Need to select 4 geomtry

Post by skikir »

Are VR sensor outputs about the same? I Need to select one for geometry

I'm adding EDIS-6 to my 72 TR6. I need to select a VR sensor. I'm using parts from a 91 Ranger 6 cylinder (Because that is what I found first in the junk yard) I need to design a VR sensor mounting bracket to fit the the engine since it never had one. The sensor geometry for the ranger was totally not usable so I have to come up with something else. I cruised the NAPA web site and found scads of VR sensors that look like what I want to use. The question is, Electronically speaking, do they have same output that will work with the EDIS-6 module? Should I stay close to the the year of the EDIS and is 4 and 8 the same as 6 cylinder outputs. Logically, I would think they would be the same but I try never to assume anything. I'm looking for as small sensor as possible with a single mounting bolt hole parallel with sensor body. I have an idea of how I'm going to do this but really need a sensor in hand to fit it. I don't know at this point weather I need a straight, 45 or 90 degree connector.
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VR sensor outputs about the same? Need to select 4 geomt

Post by DaveEFI »

Personally, I'd use one specifically for EDIS.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by skikir »

Yes that would be nice but the trick is to figure out what sensor that would be. I need to find a list of all the cars with EDIS then find some kind of image for the sensor. Many sensors have cross references but don't tell if the car has for EDIS. What I find today in most pick a part wrecking yards is the first thing is done is to take out the engine and transmission and put them on a shelf somewhere. So trying to find an EDIS car with a sensor still in place as an example is quite difficult. So it would be nice to look for a sensor in the desired package first and if the outputs are basically the same use it.

I think this one would do, but who knows?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0342235999

daveEFI;
BTW putting the engine and transmission from a Rover SD1 3.5 into my TR6 has intrigued the hell out of me.
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

skikir wrote:I think this one would do, but who knows?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0342235999
If the photo is of the actual item, that looks like a regular Ford sensor and will most likely work.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

skikir wrote:
[snip]

daveEFI;
BTW putting the engine and transmission from a Rover SD1 3.5 into my TR6 has intrigued the hell out of me.
A 2.6 straight 6 from an SD1 would be even more interesting - and more in keeping. With injection, it could be a real flier. I dunno if it's ever been done.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
skikir
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by skikir »

DaveEFI wrote:
skikir wrote:
[snip]

daveEFI;
A 2.6 straight 6 from an SD1 would be even more interesting - and more in keeping. With injection, it could be a real flier. I dunno if it's ever been done.
We never got the the 6 over here and I don't think I've actually ever seen an SD1 in person. We only got a couple thousand maybe total. But that light weight aluminum BOP Rover V8 ......
1972 Triumph TR6
Dual Extrudabody ITBs
Megasquirt 2 extra/V3
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

The Rover V8 is probably the most common engine fitted with MS in the UK. As a couple of the original injection systems (it was the first in the UK to use EFI) are rather crude and fuel only. But the inlet manifold etc pretty good. So must be one of the easiest to convert to MS with the most benefits.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"But that light weight aluminum BOP Rover V8 ......"

Just curious... how much of that engine core is the same as the '63 215 cid, how much does one weigh, what are present displacement options?
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

billr wrote:"But that light weight aluminum BOP Rover V8 ......"

Just curious... how much of that engine core is the same as the '63 215 cid, how much does one weigh, what are present displacement options?
I believe the basic design, expanded to 3.8 and even fire ignition.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Ollie8974 wrote:
billr wrote:"But that light weight aluminum BOP Rover V8 ......"

I believe the basic design, expanded to 3.8 and even fire ignition.
Sorry - missed the original question. Some parts are interchangeable - like cylinder heads. Not sure about other parts - the original Buick engine was extremely rare in the UK.

Standard sizes are (nominally) 3.5, 3.9, 4.2, 4.6. With TVR making a 5 litre version. Most likely source in the US would be an early Range Rover.

Weight of basic engine approx 230 Kg.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.