Modded MAF element

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Modded MAF element

Post by ol boy »

Disclaimer... Testing, testing, testing. Not the most practical way to go about this but why not. This is a early 2000 Ford MAF installed into a 3 inch OD pipe going into the turbo inlet.

My first readings in the unmodified version were 1.1 volts at idle and would push past 5 volts around 4krpm at 8ish lbs of boost. Saw a high of 5.3 volts once I pushed it a little deeper. I'm now seeing 0.6 at idle and 3.8ish at WOT.

Reducing the flow past the element will reduce the reported voltage, same effect as using a larger housing with the same element. I can add more holes to increase the total range as long as max voltage stays below 5 volts.

Closing off the exhaust port of the MAF reduced the flow through the element which reduced the output voltage sent back to the MS unit.
Once I'm happy with the volt range I'll wire it into the MS unit and do some data logs and toss the calculator at it to create the MAF transfer function.
ModMAF.jpg
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Sam280Z
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Modded MAF element

Post by Sam280Z »

Datsun 280Z
ITB
Turbo
MS3 + MS3X
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Looks expensive. I was thinking of doing a 10k pot to scale down the outpit reading which would allow flexibility but I wasn't sure that the output would go above 5 volts. I'm sure I can salvage yard an other element and then play with the volt divisor to watch. I didn't want to smash too much voltage into the ADC pin and break my ms2.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Take a look at the second link in Sam280Z's post, which describes a DIY version. It's not just a pot, but also a resistor in parallel to the pot.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

The pics the op showed are just your standard voltage divider. 2 resistors in series while pulling your new scaled output from the center. With a single 3 pin pot your output voltage will come from the wiper. Pretty simple stuff.