Dimensions of the D585 LS2 Truck Coil

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Dimensions of the D585 LS2 Truck Coil

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Healey3000 wrote:Here's my design for mounting the D585. For my six-cylinder, two of these would be used, mounted on the intake plenum pointing straight out at the spark plugs. Sandwiched between each heat sink and the plenum will be a Belville washer placed in a slight counterbore in the plenum wall. This will act as a spring to firmly push the D585 forward, plus providing additional heat sinking as well as electrical grounding.
Interesting idea with the spring washer. I think you might not want the washer sitting directly on the heat sinks though. They are aluminum and fairly soft, so having a steel washer pressing on them while the whole assembly is vibrating, may cause the washers to wear into the heat sinks. It also sounds like it might be difficult to assemble, although without seeing the whole thing I could be totally wrong about that.

The bracket does look nice. How are you going to make it? Have access to CNC machines?

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:
Healey3000 wrote:Here's my design for mounting the D585. For my six-cylinder, two of these would be used, mounted on the intake plenum pointing straight out at the spark plugs. Sandwiched between each heat sink and the plenum will be a Belville washer placed in a slight counterbore in the plenum wall. This will act as a spring to firmly push the D585 forward, plus providing additional heat sinking as well as electrical grounding.
Interesting idea with the spring washer. I think you might not want the washer sitting directly on the heat sinks though. They are aluminum and fairly soft, so having a steel washer pressing on them while the whole assembly is vibrating, may cause the washers to wear into the heat sinks. It also sounds like it might be difficult to assemble, although without seeing the whole thing I could be totally wrong about that.

The bracket does look nice. How are you going to make it? Have access to CNC machines?

C|
Hi,

I was wondering about the heatsink too. Perhaps a Viton o-ring instead of the washer might make for a gentle cushion that won't damage the heatsink. Assembly will be no problem with the design I have in mind for the plenum.

I don't have direct access to a CNC shop but I know a machinist who does. He charges a pretty reasonable hourly rate but I provide the material. I was thinking Delrin for the bracket, or perhaps aluminum. There are a few thin sections that may require metal.

How did you measure the D585? Coordinate measuring machine or patiently with a pair of calipers?
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Here's an alternative approach. A bar (Delrin or other soft material) goes across all three coils. Either I'll use spring washers under the bar where the screws go through or nothing at all, letting the bar clamp down on the heatsinks. This makes it self-contained.

I'm also toying with the idea of having a small pcb mounted in there. That way, all four wires from the connector can be soldered onto the board, the bussing of the power and ground lines can be handled by the PCB and the two snubber caps per coil can also be mounted on the PCB. A pigtail with six wires can come off the PCB and terminate in a connector. Harness should then be nice and neat.[attachment=0]
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

I just used calipers for measuring. I do a fair amount of reverse engineering, so I've gotten pretty good at sizing things up with just calipers. You can also use drill bits for gauging small radii.

I would probably use aluminum for the main bracket. It's strong, fairly light, and not too expensive. Delrin is cheaper than aluminum but not by much. If I was willing to spend a bit more money I would go with nylon. It's much lighter than aluminum and still quite strong. It's also better than most other plastics at high temperature.

Another thing about the bracket design; you might consider making it in multiple pieces that screw together. Reason I say that is because it may be easier (therefore cheaper) for the machinist to make a few smaller pieces instead of one large piece. This is especially true if the single large piece has a lot of space in it. Any empty space is material that is machined away and wasted. Your machinist can probably help you here. Or of you post your final(ish) design here I can take a look and see how it might be simplified.

I like the circuit board idea for reducing the wiring.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:
Another thing about the bracket design; you might consider making it in multiple pieces that screw together. Reason I say that is because it may be easier (therefore cheaper) for the machinist to make a few smaller pieces instead of one large piece. This is especially true if the single large piece has a lot of space in it. Any empty space is material that is machined away and wasted. Your machinist can probably help you here. Or of you post your final(ish) design here I can take a look and see how it might be simplified.

C|
Hi,

Thanks for the offer. I considered multiple pieces but eventually came back to the single-piece approach for a couple of reasons. Mainly, with the thin wall sections, there would be too many parts, and holding things effectively in the jaws a problem. With the NC mill, it is in some ways easier to just "fix and forget" a single part rather then registering multiple parts.

I've also decided not to use a PCB. Now that those bypass capacitors are not going to be installed, a conventional fan-out of wires will work fine. I'm thinking of using Ampseal16 connectors (Tyco has the STEP files available) and making simple pinch-clamp brackets to hold them onto the firewall. That way, the ECU can be in the passenger compartment and all harness plugs will terminate in a hard point on the firewall. Most of the wiring fan-out can be done in that hard point, keeping things clean and sealed.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Healey3000 wrote: I considered multiple pieces but eventually came back to the single-piece approach for a couple of reasons. Mainly, with the thin wall sections, there would be too many parts, and holding things effectively in the jaws a problem. With the NC mill, it is in some ways easier to just "fix and forget" a single part rather then registering multiple parts.
That is true. Usually the fewer setups you have to do, the better. Going by your last picture, you would need 3 setups, or maybe 2 if you can use a slot cutter. Only potential issue I see is that some of the corner radii are fairly small for such a deep pocket. This will require a long skinny tool, which means very slow cutting an lots of machine time. If you can keep the depth to radius ratio below maybe 10:1 it will make things easier.

Healey3000 wrote:I've also decided not to use a PCB. Now that those bypass capacitors are not going to be installed, a conventional fan-out of wires will work fine. I'm thinking of using Ampseal16 connectors (Tyco has the STEP files available) and making simple pinch-clamp brackets to hold them onto the firewall. That way, the ECU can be in the passenger compartment and all harness plugs will terminate in a hard point on the firewall. Most of the wiring fan-out can be done in that hard point, keeping things clean and sealed.
I've always wanted to do the firewall bulkhead setup, but bulkhead style connectors are always so expensive. Never considered the idea of making a clamp for regular inline connectors. I think that could work, and still be not too costly. Although I'm a machinist myself so I might have an unfair advantage. :lol:

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

Thought about your suggestion some more and came up with a two-piece design that is easier to machine. Coils get trapped between the two, using a small o-ring to cushion the heatsink and prevent damage. Power and grounds can be made common in the area in the back of the block, resulting in a single bundle exiting the bottom.
D585 Mounting Base.JPG
D585 Mounting Plate.JPG
jack1127
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jack1127 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:Alright, here it is. I put the coil and the mounting bracket into a single part file as separate bodies. Just hide the bracket if you don't need it. I didn't model every single tiny detail but tried to get most everything.

https://grabcad.com/library/ignition-co ... lco-d585-1

Enjoy!

C|
thank you very much for taking your time and making and sharing the drawing :yeah!: :yeah!: :yeah!: now i can draw bracket that will fit my engine :)