Dimensions of the D585 LS2 Truck Coil

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Dimensions of the D585 LS2 Truck Coil

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

I'm in the process of assessing different coil options. Perhaps someone has made a drawing of the D585 or better yet, a 3D model, and can share?

Thanks!
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Dimensions of the D585 LS2 Truck Coil

Post by cygnus x-1 »

I checked grabcad and didn't find anything. I can model one up if you need it though.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:I checked grabcad and didn't find anything. I can model one up if you need it though.

C|
That would be most kind of you. Can it be exported to a format that SolidWorks can open. Probably IGES or DXF. Could you model it without the metal wrap-around bracket (may be easier as well)?

I'm assuming you use these in your engine. What would be the effect of removing the metal shroud? EMI?

Thanks very much indeed!
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Healey3000 wrote:
cygnus x-1 wrote:I checked grabcad and didn't find anything. I can model one up if you need it though.

C|
That would be most kind of you. Can it be exported to a format that SolidWorks can open. Probably IGES or DXF. Could you model it without the metal wrap-around bracket (may be easier as well)?

I'm assuming you use these in your engine. What would be the effect of removing the metal shroud? EMI?

Thanks very much indeed!

What version of SW are you on? I'm still on 2013. I'll just upload it to grabcad along with a STEP and maybe parasolid file so anyone can use it. I may not get to it until the weekend, but it's not complicated so it shouldn't take long.

The metal surround is just a mounting bracket really. It doesn't add much size but it is somewhat oddly shaped. I used them as is, mostly because it was easier than making a new bracket.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

I'm on 2012. Would an IGES be better than STEP?
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Healey3000 wrote:Hi,

No. The IGES standard is actually a predecessor to STEP, and isn't being developed anymore. I've used IGES in the past but it tends to have issues with creating faulty geometry. STEP is more stable and pretty much everything supports it now.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:
Healey3000 wrote:Hi,

No. The IGES standard is actually a predecessor to STEP, and isn't being developed anymore. I've used IGES in the past but it tends to have issues with creating faulty geometry. STEP is more stable and pretty much everything supports it now.

C|
Did not know that. Thanks!

BTW there's a nice model of the RX-8 coil on grabcad.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Alright, here it is. I put the coil and the mounting bracket into a single part file as separate bodies. Just hide the bracket if you don't need it. I didn't model every single tiny detail but tried to get most everything.

https://grabcad.com/library/ignition-co ... lco-d585-1

Enjoy!

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:Alright, here it is. I put the coil and the mounting bracket into a single part file as separate bodies. Just hide the bracket if you don't need it. I didn't model every single tiny detail but tried to get most everything.

Enjoy!

C|
Hi,

Thanks so much for all the work; this looks great!! I will play around with it in my engine model but I'm pretty sure that having all six mounted on the intake plenum will fit well and look nice.

GM has made the connector model available on the Delco website so that will come in handy to mate with the coil.

There is something odd about the part numbers for the D585. Apparently, there are two different numbers stamped on the bracket around the coil and one type (the older ones) are superior. I hope that they are identical dimensionally. Can you tell me what number is on yours? Also, there should be a number on the connector portion, either molded in or laser marked.

Again, many thanks.
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:Alright, here it is. I put the coil and the mounting bracket into a single part file as separate bodies. Just hide the bracket if you don't need it. I didn't model every single tiny detail but tried to get most everything.

Enjoy!

C|
Hi,

I'm getting an error about the model containing overlapping solids, which prevents feature recognition. Any suggestions as to what I can do differently?

Thanks.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

Oh, I'll fix the overlapping solids thing. What you could do in the mean time though is save each body to its own part and then do the feature recognition there. You can do feature recognition any time; not just during the initial import.

The number stamped on mine is 19005218. I found them on eBay years ago so I have no idea if they're older or newer.

C|
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

I fixed the models so they don't interfere. New versions up on GrabCad.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:I fixed the models so they don't interfere. New versions up on GrabCad.

C|
Thanks! Can you elaborate on what the problem was and how you fixed it? I'm a relative newcomer to SolidWorks and still have a lot to learn about the finer aspects.
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

Healey3000 wrote:
cygnus x-1 wrote:I fixed the models so they don't interfere. New versions up on GrabCad.

C|
Thanks! Can you elaborate on what the problem was and how you fixed it? I'm a relative newcomer to SolidWorks and still have a lot to learn about the finer aspects.
Not sure what he specifically did but look at the tabs that come over the top of the coil from the bracket, in the base rev its a little tighter and interferes with the coil body. In the revised model its got clearance. (look at the offset on boss-extrude10)

Funny this came up, i was about an hr away from modeling this coil in SW15 because i have these mounted directly on top of my coils on my L6 engine and i am taking them off the plug and going to use wires so i need to make a new bracket. thats my next task to figure out how to approach the wire situation. I am in the process of making a bracket-

as a side note, i have 2 sets of these coils. the tabs are different on 1 set, basically the angle on one of the tabs. i dont think it is supposed to be but it is, they are cheap ebay set and the tab was not bent to be level with the other- i needed to use a pair of pliers to convince it to be straight

Thanks for modeling this coil!
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cygnus x-1 »

The major part of the interference was due to the way the fillets were shaped where the round part of the coil transitions to the upper square part. I had to reorder the fillets to change the shape, and that removed the interference. This then allowed the bracket to be shifted up, which removed the interference with the bend part of the tabs.

To find these spots, I put the part into an assembly and then ran the interference check, with the multi-body part option enabled (by default the interference checker treats parts as single entities even if they contain multiple bodies). This tool is a huge time saver!

C|
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

cygnus x-1 wrote:The major part of the interference was due to the way the fillets were shaped where the round part of the coil transitions to the upper square part. I had to reorder the fillets to change the shape, and that removed the interference. This then allowed the bracket to be shifted up, which removed the interference with the bend part of the tabs.

To find these spots, I put the part into an assembly and then ran the interference check, with the multi-body part option enabled (by default the interference checker treats parts as single entities even if they contain multiple bodies). This tool is a huge time saver!

C|
The interference checker has saved me on more that 1 occasion!! thanks again for putting it together nice work, saved me some time.
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

GM makes the connector's model available, if you need it to complete your design. I think I followed the link in the MS manual to the Mouser site for the connector, which then led to the Delco site. If you can't find it, I can post it.

Yes indeed, very nice work on the D585 model. Designing a suitable bracket is proving to be interesting.
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

Healey3000 wrote:GM makes the connector's model available, if you need it to complete your design. I think I followed the link in the MS manual to the Mouser site for the connector, which then led to the Delco site. If you can't find it, I can post it.

Yes indeed, very nice work on the D585 model. Designing a suitable bracket is proving to be interesting.
I actually just ordered some hardware, i realized in my application it can be easier than i thought, partly because of the valve cover has a large flat section so i just ordered a few fasteners and spacers. if your interested in more details let me know
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Here's my design for mounting the D585. For my six-cylinder, two of these would be used, mounted on the intake plenum pointing straight out at the spark plugs. Sandwiched between each heat sink and the plenum will be a Belville washer placed in a slight counterbore in the plenum wall. This will act as a spring to firmly push the D585 forward, plus providing additional heat sinking as well as electrical grounding.

I won't be able to use any standard hardware other than the connectors.
D585_Front.JPG
D585_Rear.JPG
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

^^^ RIGHT ON ^^^
you don't mess around, those things will be planted right where you put them!