Can a COP be converted to accept an HT lead?

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Can a COP be converted to accept an HT lead?

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

COP's have a smaller form factor than coil near plug types (such as LSx). What if you could take off the boot on a COP and attach a conventional HT wire? That would open up possibilities for better packaging. Can this be done? Are there any COP's where the boot is indeed a converter from lead to plug?

Alternatively, is there a HT lead that has one end that matches a spark plug so that it would plug into an unmodified COP?

Thanks.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can a COP be converted to accept an HT lead?

Post by dontz125 »

You can certainly attach a HT lead to a COP, but this is normally done only for timing checks. What are you trying to accomplish that can't be done by installing the COPs in the head? Bear in mind too that most COPs have only a single anchor point (some have none!), so you run the risk of your coils flopping about if you aren't careful.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Can a COP be converted to accept an HT lead?

Post by Healey3000 »

dontz125 wrote:You can certainly attach a HT lead to a COP, but this is normally done only for timing checks. What are you trying to accomplish that can't be done by installing the COPs in the head? Bear in mind too that most COPs have only a single anchor point (some have none!), so you run the risk of your coils flopping about if you aren't careful.
Hi,

I'm trying to create a coil-near-plug configuration without using LSx coils. The reason is that space is limited and the LSx coils are large. Ideally, the Mazda RX-8 coils fit the bill but their very high failure rate has me reluctant to use them. As I thought about it, I figured that there are many small COP's available with built in ignitors; if I could simply remove the boot and attach a conventional HT wire going to the spark plug, I'd have the perfect solution.

To your point about securing the coils, yes, I would use one that has at least one anchor screw hole. The one that I'm leaning towards is the Suzuki Grand Vitara coil. I know the boot comes off plus it's compact and has two mounting holes. On a British V8 forum one member said that Toyota 5 mm wires "may" fit. I have not really looked at COP's in any detail to know if they use a conventional (rajah?) connector and then add the spring within the boot. Here's a picture: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,39986,page=2

BTW, the Suzuki coil appears to have a very flexible tip so it could be bent 45 degrees for a true COP installation on OHV engines. The one I'm playing with is a straight six, with plugs on the side. Fortunately, the exhaust is on the other side.