Metal shields around LS2 coils

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Metal shields around LS2 coils

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

The LS2 coils, D585 (truck coil with heatsink) and D514A both have a metal shell around them. On the D585, the shell doubles as a mounting bracket.

Would it be a bad idea to take these off? My assumption is that they are there to reduce EMI, particularly since they are grounded to the innards of the coils. GM wouldn't do that if it weren't necessary, given that every penny saved counts.

Thanks.
cygnus x-1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Metal shields around LS2 coils

Post by cygnus x-1 »

I'm sure the coils will work fine. Your radio might not be so happy though.

C|
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

cygnus x-1 wrote:I'm sure the coils will work fine. Your radio might not be so happy though.

C|
True. I'm more worried about MS3 going nuts (radio isn't even present in this car!).

One article I read said that shielding a coil (it wasn't LSx specific) is a bad idea as it increases capacitance. However, if it's grounded, I'm not sure the capacitive model holds. I suppose I could always wrap copper tape around it and apply shrink tubing to keep it all together. That way, I can make the coil housing out of Delrin rather than aluminum.

What gives me pause is the fact that the D514A coil also has a metal shell around it, even though it isn't needed for mounting. Perhaps this is all required to meet EMI standards for modern cars that have far more electronics than just an MS3 stuffed in the passenger compartment.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Are they a sheild or a way to mount them? I've been running the lq9 for almost 2 years without the mounting bracket with zero issues in the radio or megasquirt
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

nathaninwa wrote:Are they a sheild or a way to mount them? I've been running the lq9 for almost 2 years without the mounting bracket with zero issues in the radio or megasquirt
Hi,

On the D585 they are also used as mounting means. On the D514A however, they are not so it seems odd that GM would add an additional part if there wasn't a good reason. I was comfortable with taking them off the D585 till I spotted the D514A.

It's good to know that you have no issues on your installation without the shields. May I ask how you went about mounting them? I'm thinking of taking a Delrin block and machining a pocket that the D585 will drop into, leaving most of the cylindrical portion exposed. A couple of screws with large washers would secure the coil from the back, like one would do to retain a ball bearing. I think that I will connect the heatsink to chassis, just in case that's critical. Although, with the powder coating on the OEM brackets, you have to wonder whether the bracket actually makes electrical contact with the engine.

Thanks.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I'll find a pic. This is on a 2j head and used an alum bracket that surrounds 2 coils and pushes down on the coil compressing the high tension spring. My heat sinks are not grounded
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Very nice. Even though the coils are in the valley, I suppose those pesky electronics can and will stream out. Sounds like the shields are not critical; if they don't bother your 2JZ car with all those other electronics, it certainly won't bother mine!