Subaru OEM sensor/actuator specs

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Subaru OEM sensor/actuator specs

Post by seb209726 »

Hi

I'm new to megasquirt and to this forum.
I tried to gather as much information as I could before posting this, but didn't find clear cut answers. Do feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed the obvious.

I'm in the planning stages of a MS conversion on a 1999 Impreza GT turbo (GC8 WRX) and didn't find much information about the hardware setup on these cars. I thought that maybe summarizing all the info available to the community about the OEM hardware of these cars on one thread might be a good idea, to reduce the individual time probing, scoping and trying? And if not, answers to my specific car would be much appreciated. I'll add my own findings in a few weeks when I get to the installation stage in any case :)

This is what I got so far, for the Impreza turbo engines. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong or confirm if I'm right. I plan on editing this post along the way to summarize it all.

Injectors:
Hi-Z. 94-98 greys are 440cc, 99-00 yellows are 480cc. Newage yellows are 550cc and not a straight fit, see tpsretard2's reply.

Ignition:
Legacy:
COP with external igniter, can be driven logically by MS (early E20G's, 89-94)
Impreza:
Dual coilpack (wasted spark) on 99-00, believed to be triggered by 5V rather than earthing (dwell time?)
3 wire COP on newage cars, can't be driven logically. (dwell time?)

Coolant temp sensor:
standard Bosch calibration is nearly correct and good enough.

Boost solenoid:
3-way valve on earlier cars, 2-way valves on later ones. Which working frequency?

Idle control:
3 wire PWM until 98 (153Hz?)
6 wire stepper for 99-00 (number of steps?)
3 wire newage ones work at 153Hz, with a minimum duty of 5% and a maximum duty of 90%

Vehicle speed sensor setup
cable driven cars are a reed switch. (from the speedo, one pulse per (k?!?)m.)
others?

Subaru 2.8 bar MAP sensor calibration
0v = -67.9 kPa
5v = 309.6 kPa

VR sensors
Is there a definite answer as to how to best read them?
I read here that LM1815 or MAX9926 based circuit helped a lot. A 2.2k shunt resistor is needed regardless of the circuit used. Depending on the MAX9926 board you use, you may need a 10k/12k inline resistor. you may also need a bit of capacitance. Some sensors are worst than others.

ECU Connectors
Apart from salvaging one from an actual ECU, does one know where to source them from

sources:
user tpsretard2 (a lot of it, either here, or on other topics)
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... +frequency (user bubba2533)
scoobynet.com
many others that I have forgotten to add along the way, as I didn't plan to write this at the beginning

Cheers
Séb

EDIT: info added
Last edited by seb209726 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Subaru OEM sensor/actuator specs

Post by tpsretard2 »

seb209726 wrote: Injectors:
Hi-Z. 94-98 greys are 380cc, 99-00 yellows are 440cc. Newer cars?

Grays are 440, the yellow are 480. The newer ones (phase 2) are yellow and are 550 but need an adapter kit to use them. the bottom is smaller. These newer ones can also be modified to flow more.

Ignition:
COP with external igniter, can be driven logically by MS (until when?), dual coilpack (wasted spark) on mine, believed to be triggered by 5V rather than earthing (?), 3 wire COP on newage cars, can't be driven logically. What dwell times?

The only COP with external ignitor setup is the early EJ20g's (89-94) This system is very good, but the coil are aging badly. replace with new ones and yes these can be driven from the MS3 with no problems. The wasted spark systems are also good and can also be driven from the MS.

The new COP's with 3 wires are not as good, but can still support 400bhp with no problem. however only the MS3 Pro can fire these directly. you need to same mod used with the VAG coils to fire them with the DIY version of the ms3.

Coolant temp sensor:
standard Bosch calibration

It is what i use but is a degree or 2 out... mehh, to lazy to fix such a small discrepancy.

Boost solenoid:
2-way valve on earlier cars, 3-way valves on later ones. Which working frequency?

Wrong way around, Older cars have the 3 port, new cars have the 2

Idle control:
3 wire PWM until 98 (153Hz?), 6 wire stepper for 99-00 (number of steps?), newage?

Correct, Never used the steppers, the new age ones are single wire PWM (f-Idle)

Vehicle speed sensor setup
?
cable driven cars are a read switch from the speedo, one pulse per km i think it is. cant remember the rest.

Standard MAP sensor
Calibration curve and range?

VR sensors
Is there a definite answer as to how to best read them?
I read here that LM1815 or MAX9926 based circuit helped a lot, but that 2.2k shunt and 10/12k inline resistors might still be needed... Can you confirm this?

the 2.2k is needed regardless, Depending on the MAX9926 board you use, you may need the inline resistor. you may also need a bit of capacitance. some sensors are worst than others.

ECU Connectors
Apart from salvaging one from an actual ECU, does one know where to source them from

sources:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... +frequency (user bubba2533)
scoobynet.com
many others that I have forgotten to add along the way, as I didn't plan to write this at the beginning

Cheers
Séb

EDIT: info added
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

tpsretard2 wrote:[A lot of very useful information]
Brilliant, thanks!

I'll edit the OP accordingly :)
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

And if had looked harder where I should have first, I might have been able to find this link to a manual in msruns by user gcharlier a bit earlier. I didn't realise that I needed a different login there and didn't see the attachments the first time I read it.

For the ones who are not registered there, I downloaded and rehosted it here unchanged. It is not my own work!
If it is against a rule to do it that way, I'll take it down and only leave the original link.

Edit: typo
Last edited by seb209726 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

No probs here, but that wiring is a bit erm...spaghetti!

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

jsmcortina wrote:that wiring is a bit erm...spaghetti!
:lol:
I agree.
But it's a good summary of many other threads I came across on the forum up to its publication.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

Subaru 2.8 bar map sensor calibration

0 v -67.9
5v 309.6
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

Thanks!
I edited the OP accordingly.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

new style PWM based idle valve
it is 3 wires, but it is power ground and PWM 153hz

minimum duty 5%
maximum duty 90%
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

It says that the newage COPs need the ignition circuit mod like the vag coils. What is the resistance on the newage COPs? I have a set from an ez36 that look a bit different from the EJ coils and I'm getting 860ohms. I'm hoping I don't need the extra circuit as the manual says that if you are ~1k ohms then you don't need it.
matt rendas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by matt rendas »

Iv setup MS3 on my 00 2.5rs running sequential. It uses the subaru 6/7 crank/cam trigger. Everyone should know about the resistor trick. Looking forward to swap my drivetrain to a 05 usdm Sti. Iv noticed not much info on running the Sti engine sequentially. Most info iv found was people running waste spark/ batch fire off just the crank. Not sure if anyone has noticed that the usdm Sti engine uses a 3 wire hall effects cam sensor? Same VR crank sensor i believe. Also the Sti cam has 3 notches at the end of the cam shaft. Just throwing some info out there, maybe someone can update me on anything new with this issue? Thank you
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

the notches at the back of the cam are for the cam position sensors for the AVCS (vvt)
Running the STI engine as you call it is no different to the wrx engine.

you need to post more detailed question of what you are thinking.
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD »

If you find a factory FSM wiring section or ECU pinout for the MY99 WRX, please post a link - has proven very hard to find!
Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
A little thing I made up... https://youtu.be/PajlPNF5mmQ
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

I've got one for a eudm (the one with the ba$tard connector only used in 99-00) which didn't match my car 100% but will get you 90% of the way. Probing with a meter can't be avoided I'm afraid. Will post as soon as I'm back home.
seb209726
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by seb209726 »

Link to said diagram.
HTH