TPS issue

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

old-colt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

TPS issue

Post by old-colt »

I am working on an older Yamaha Excel outboard that the TPS has gone bad. The replacement is stupid expensive. Here is what I am up against,
The original TPS is about 1K ohm across it's range. I am finding this to be rather rare.
The newer outboards use a TPS with a 4.7K range and I am finding this more common in the few cars I have paid attention to.
1, anyone know of a source for a TPS with about a 1K range?
Or,
2, Would adding a resistor in parallel across the ends of a 4.7K TPS allow it to function with a computer looking for a 1K range?

This is on an engine that uses a crank sensor on the flywheel and TPS for setting the timing.
Cheers,
Charlie North,
If it ain't broke, Modify it!
Modifying Mitsubishis since 1974
http://ffmsd.com/
1993 Mirage AWD turbo
1973 Colt 1600 Mivec MS2
1963 Elva Mk7 looking with Turbo Busa power. MS3
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: TPS issue

Post by billr »

Have you tried a 4.7K pot? I think it is unlikely the input that pot feeds has an impedance low enough that the difference between 1K and 4.7K would matter.

Edit: a resistor in parallel across the "ends" of the pot will make no difference, except to draw more current from whatever the pot Vref is.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

if the TPS input uses a voltage signal the 4.7K should work.
Otherwise get the cheapest potentiometer from an electronicsshop and test it.
old-colt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old-colt »

I did run a short test with the 4.7K. I can not rule it out as being viable. The engine was still low on power but as do more inspecting it may not have been that TPS / timing causing all the issue.
It is difficult to verify the timing since the engine needs to be under load and in order to do so kind of need a full hard bottom boat launch where I can run the boat in gear strapped to the trailer. Difficult to achieve near here, I will find a way.
Cheers,
Charlie North,
1993 Mirage AWD turbo
1973 Colt 1600 Mivec MS2
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I should have asked in the beginning... is the original a 3-terminal device, and is it used as a pot (all 3 terms connected) or is it used as a variable-resistor (wires to just 2 terms)? My previous answer was predicated on it being used as a (3-term) potentiometer.
old-colt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old-colt »

Yes, full 3 term.
The original just did not sweep well with a meter on it, quite jumpy which appears to be the major issue with this old analog system.
This morning I have remounted the 4.7K and run the engine on a hose. I will next run it in a small pond to see if the carbs need setting up again as well as put a timing light on it.
One thing I am not sure about currently is this TPS sweeps from .51V idle to 3.78V full throttle, I expect to see 4.5V full. The service docs do not show a spec for the range.
Cheers,
Charlie North,
1993 Mirage AWD turbo
1973 Colt 1600 Mivec MS2
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

In theory, a 90 degree pot should be fine. But in practice, most seem to be more like 120 degrees or so. So won't give 0-Vs volts out.

A good check for a TPS is to wire it up as a pot between CD player (or whatever) and power amplifier, and play some music. If it crackles or breaks up when you move it, needs sorting.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
old-colt
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old-colt »

DaveEFI wrote:
A good check for a TPS is to wire it up as a pot between CD player (or whatever) and power amplifier, and play some music. If it crackles or breaks up when you move it, needs sorting.
I like that, that is new to me.
Cheers,
Charlie North,
1993 Mirage AWD turbo
1973 Colt 1600 Mivec MS2