LS coolant temp reloaction

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

LS coolant temp reloaction

Post by nathaninwa »

Prepping to wire my LS motor where the coolant temp sensor is located on the drivers, front head. My headers run forward and space gets right right there. I'd like to move the sensor to the passengers rear head. Will there be much temp difference between the locations? I do have 4 corner head cooling so there could be a little more flow across the sensor
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: LS coolant temp reloaction

Post by billr »

I don't think that different in ECT sensor location would make much difference; maybe 5F at most? However, are you familiar with the Standard Motor Products TX73? That is a very small sensor with 1/8" NPT thread and GM calibration. A special "low profile" bushing to adapt that 1/8" NPT to the head may squeeze it in for you.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I have that sensor saved in my eBay, affordable sensor but the plug is almost 30 dollars! I looked around the wrecking yards in my area and no saturns that I can get my hands on for that and Google isn't showing much of anything for a cross plug

And the head is like a 12mm crush washer seal, so an adapter my stick out farther. But it's more of a proximity issue for the plug. It's like 1.25 inches from the collector and afraid of melting it over time

Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yeah, that looks pretty close to the "mother lode" of heat! FYI: The pins on the TX73 fit socket terminals for common .100" x .100" board headers, so those and some heat-shrink can make for a cheaper connection. Also, the same sensor is used in three places on those Saturns: ECT, IAT, and auto trans fluid temp; so if you do ever find one in a JY you may be able to score all three.