CLT Sensor's best placement for an oil-cooled engine?

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Surt
MS/Extra Newbie

CLT Sensor's best placement for an oil-cooled engine?

Post by Surt »

hi all! what would be the best placement for a clt sensor for an oil-cooled engine (suzuki bandit gsf 1200 turbo)
mate o'mine who turboed his oil cooled gixxer says it's better off putting on the head than on the oil sump, coz the head heats up faster and hotter. so he put it instead of one of the cam stops. but in my case, all 4 stops are used for holding the engine in a custom frame, so i could put it on one of cam oilin lines (by making a sandwich with the clt sensor) or to screw it into a welded bung on the cam cover. thank in advance for replies and pardon my french... i mean ingriss bahaha!
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: CLT Sensor's best placement for an oil-cooled engine?

Post by ArttuH »

Hi. Yes, generally it's better to measure head or cylinder block temp than oil temp. Quite often the oil temp rises slower and actually it's mostly head temp that defines how much warm-up enrichment you need.

On these oil cooled Suzuki engines the cam chain tensioner bolt is one good place for the CLT sensor. I have been using that several times with good results. The valve cover may cool down surprisingly lot at cool or rainy weather so it isn't the best location. However, on these engines the oil temp seems to follow cylinder block temp quite closely so probably using it as CLT would probably work quite well too.
Arttu
Surt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Surt »

ahh thanks heaps mate sounds like a great idea! did you make a custom bolt with clt sensor bung or how?
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ArttuH »

I made a custom sensor :D Just normal 3.3k NTC thermistor glued on 6mm ring wire terminal. Here is a crappy example photo:
http://www.iki.fi/arttuh/kuvat/Toninkuvat/konelampo.jpg
Arttu
Surt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Surt »

sorry mate i can't tell it apart, is it inside the heat shrink?
ps ah i got it they are pretty tiny
ArttuH
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ArttuH »

Yes, inside the heat shrink. Unfortunately I hadn't any better photo available. The thermistor itself is pretty tiny indeed. Here is a datasheet for similar component:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1724877.pdf
Arttu
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

At the time I wondered why I took these photos but hopefully these will help. 10K NTC Thermistor and installed on the CCT on a GSF1200.

The wire is epoxied into the ring fitting and mounted where everyone else seems to mount them too. I left the tip of the thermistor exposed to reduce lag but I doubt it makes a huge amount of difference. Just make sure it cant ground anywhere.

You can see in this pic that I added some lengths of TIG rod on the sides for some support and put one final layer of heat shrink over it. Probably overkill but doesn't hurt.

Surt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Surt »

awesome mates! thaks for the fotos dnz!