Making cam position sensor for a 351w

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Hi.
Ive read that I can take a v6 sensor and a v8 sensor to make one work for a 351w.
Does any one have the specifics on this mod?
thanks
87 Turbocoupe 351w swap with a TKO, someday a turbo car again.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Making cam position sensor for a 351w

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I think the explorer had a hall sensor type cam sensor pre 98. Is there still a difference between the pump hex size for 5.0 and 351W?
Ok answering my own question that's what the shaft out of the 99+ 3.8 explorer engine is for. To correct the shaft issue.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/aem-ems ... stall.html Some pics and info in this.
Last edited by slow_hemi6 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I need to double check but you need like a 99-00 v6 and v8 use the v-6 shaft in v-8 housing. I am out of town, but when I get back I'll verify
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yes I found a post about it on corral.net and linked it in my post above.
Cheers Luke
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Still looking for a definitive process of doing this. I'm overwhelmed with info
Thanks
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

What has been posted doesn't make sense?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Are you wanting to use the dizzy for cam and crank triggering, or just for a cam trigger with a real crank wheel?
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Confliction info it will work it won't work. Is it a v6 3.8 or 4.2. Some say just swap shafts and it will work some say one is a cast iron great some say take the 5.0 gear on v6 shaft some say just machine v6 sensor and out will fit. I was hoping some one her had done thisl this personally and not seen or heard of it being done.
I was hopeing for apart number and quick do this do that and boom. Here you go
Thanks Steve
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

billr wrote:Are you wanting to use the dizzy for cam and crank triggering, or just for a cam trigger with a real crank wheel?
I'm going with a 36-1 wheel and need the sensor to run my oil pump
Thanks.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm still confused... you need the dizzy to run the oil pump, but no sensor unless you want a "cam" sensor. Why not use the stock dizzy for that engine, why all the mix-and-match fuss? There are a lot of fairly easy ways to add a cam sensor to a dizzy, even if it is an old breaker-point unit; if you even want a cam sensor.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

The Explorer cam sensor is way more compact than a full distributor.
Last edited by Laminar on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

I don't even care if I have cam position sensor. I need it to run my oil pump. Currently running tfi and distributor. I'm looking to go with ls2 coil near plug with wasted spark. I want the hotter spark for boost.
Thanks
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What I got from that thread was use the 5.0 sensor body with the 99 up V6 shaft and fit the 5.0 cam gear. The only conflicting part is the shop the guy used decided it was easier to just make a collar for the 99 up V6 shaft and fit the 5.0 gear. They obviously had a lathe but for the home mechanic the first option sounds the easiest.
Ask user raceron what he has done. He has a 410 windsor with sequential. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 66#p455066
Cheers Luke
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Sadly, as with most stuff, there's no magic part number...

Mine is not in the vehicle yet, but here is what you want to do, or at least what I am doing...

Buy a 99 or 00 Explorer V-6 Cam sensor -- Bought mine off Ebay

Buy a 5.0 Explorer (00 is what I got) V-8 cam sensor -- Bought mine off Ebay

Remove the cam gears and shafts then take the shaft from the V-6 and place it in the V-8 housing.

What kind of cam are you running? **That** will determine the cam gear you need.
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

slow_hemi6 wrote:What I got from that thread was use the 5.0 sensor body with the 99 up V6 shaft and fit the 5.0 cam gear. The only conflicting part is the shop the guy used decided it was easier to just make a collar for the 99 up V6 shaft and fit the 5.0 gear. They obviously had a lathe but for the home mechanic the first option sounds the easiest.
Ask user raceron what he has done. He has a 410 windsor with sequential. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 66#p455066
I picked that up to. On reread I've got the v8 one in hand gonna ride by a pick and pull, look at 4.2 and 3.8 and see if there's a difference. Or go to parts store and drive the counter guy by chasing part numbers ;).
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Raymond_B wrote:Sadly, as with most stuff, there's no magic part number...

Mine is not in the vehicle yet, but here is what you want to do, or at least what I am doing...

Remove the cam gears and shafts then take the shaft from the V-6 and place it in the V-8 housing.

What kind of cam are you running? **That** will determine the cam gear you need.
Thanks. Were you able to reuse roll pins and holes or have you redrilled new holes and checked for end play. First msd pro billit distributor I had a gear change on guy set gear to high first start it destroyed the distributor?
Thanks.
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

thewestie wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:Sadly, as with most stuff, there's no magic part number...

Thanks. Were you able to reuse roll pins and holes or have you redrilled new holes and checked for end play. First msd pro billit distributor I had a gear change on guy set gear to high first start it destroyed the distributor?
Thanks.
No planned re-drilling here, I've never had to do that. It sounds like an incorrect gear was used (there are many camshaft materials and you must match the gear to your cam). Yes I was going to re-use the pin or if my gear comes with one I'll use it.
thewestie
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thewestie »

Proper gear was used bad instillation. On fords the gear and shaft get pushed up when moving and if you don't have enough clearance on shaft to base you can get in trouble
MS2 3.0 3.4.0
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

if you don't need a cam sensor just take an old distributor and chop the top off, cut the shaft a 1/2 inch shorter then plug the top. i have made a 351 cam phaser myself, it was actually alot of work. the sleeve on a v6 is actually a easy way to do it. i saved the phaser from a v6 when i did a v8 swap and also have an explorer one but havent had the inclination to compare them yet.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Raymond_B wrote:Buy a 5.0 Explorer (00 is what I got) V-8 cam sensor -- Bought mine off Ebay
One note on this if anyone does need the cam sensor - the '96-'98 Explorer 5.0 cam sensors are 3-pin Hall-effect sensors, but in '99 they switched to a 2-pin VR. I'm using the Hall-effect on my 5.0 build without issue.

If you need the full distributor replacement, it's called the "camshaft synchronizer" and can be found complete with sensor for about $35 on Rock Auto.