bosch wideband sensors (europe)

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

bosch wideband sensors (europe)

Post by baz-r »

i think my techedge 2j1 needs a new sensor as its dooing all sorts of wierd stuff

it takes a bosch 4.2 sensor and thay list 0 258 007 7200 or 0 258 007 7057 i cant seem to find thease here in the uk for reasonable mony as i dont think thay are fitted to any models we have here in europe

cable length is not too importent as i have loads of spare length i just need somthin with identical sensor and conector

pin outs are here http://wbo2.com/cable/lsuconns.htm
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: bosch wideband sensors (europe)

Post by grom_e30 »

i brought a 0258 007 274 to replace the sensor for my lc1 that is the part number i brought its used on the vw/audi/skoda/seat 1.8 turbo engines it has the correct connector and about 60cm of cable i have not installed it yet though so cannot confirm if it works but i believe it is a suitable replacement
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

It's the plug/socket that's the difficult thing to find,most w/b sensors are the same you just need to cut the cable and fit good inline connectors.

John
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Cutting the cable is not a good idea (and that's an understatement). The connector has a calibration resistor and if this is missing you have a useless sensor depending on your controller. Also, the cable is used to get air to the sensor so if your modification cuts that access, you have removed the means for your sensor to function properly.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try Trigger Wheels.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Cutting the cable is not a good idea (and that's an understatement). The connector has a calibration resistor and if this is missing you have a useless sensor depending on your controller. Also, the cable is used to get air to the sensor so if your modification cuts that access, you have removed the means for your sensor to function properly.

Jean
If you are using the WBO2 Controller when you change the sensor you should re-calibrate the sensor to the controller which overcomes the change of resistor problem ( which is in the connector ),as for getting air to the sensor ? all that is in the cable are wires ?

Sorry to differ,but I've done it a couple of times no problem....

John
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

john.p.clegg wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:Cutting the cable is not a good idea (and that's an understatement). The connector has a calibration resistor and if this is missing you have a useless sensor depending on your controller. Also, the cable is used to get air to the sensor so if your modification cuts that access, you have removed the means for your sensor to function properly.

Jean
If you are using the WBO2 Controller when you change the sensor you should re-calibrate the sensor to the controller which overcomes the change of resistor problem ( which is in the connector ),as for getting air to the sensor ? all that is in the cable are wires ?

Sorry to differ,but I've done it a couple of times no problem....

John
how do you know the calibration is correct though?
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

When you fit /change the sensor you have to "free air" calibrate the setup,as for the correctness,you'll have to ask
Tech Edge

Maybe I'm lucky as I have a 2J2/9....

"The 2J2/9 is the only Tech Edge controller that must be free-air calibrated whenever the sensor is changed. This is made easy by the Auto-cal button but the sensor must be in free-air when this operation is performed. More information about Auto-cal can be found in the user's manual below."

http://wbo2.com/2j/default.htm

How others work,I don't know ??

John
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

From what I got talking to someone who designs and manufactures controllers, free air calibration is not a very accurate method for calibration since this is completely outside the normal and desirable operating range of O2 content and other combustion gases. The connector has a laser etched resistor that is created using calibration gases at the factory which gives precise calibration in the right range.

Saying that the controller requires a free air calibration and relies completely on this instead of the calibration resistor is not a good thing in my view. It does mean you can change the connector but it also means that it relies on a less accurate calibration.

So for other controllers that do not require a free air calibration, the Bosch connector is essential. And my other point about allowing air to go to the sensor through the cable still stands regardless of the controller type. If you seal the cable when you change connectors, you will prevent the sensor from operating correctly because it does need a non-negligible amount of air and the (non-modified) cable is designed for that.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Isn't a "free-air" cal only a one-point cal? It seems that would be very rudimentary.

(Did I use the word "rudimentary" correctly? I meant crude, primitive, of little use...)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the part number i listed works fine with my lc1 just did a 150 mile trip and it was fine
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????