Looking for an engine...

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Looking for an engine...

Post by ol boy »

I think this is the best place for the question. I have a 62 Ford Falcon Tudor rolling chassis. I could do the cookie cutter SBFord or maybe even an LSX swap of some sort. I feel the V8 swap has ran it's course.

What's interesting is you can now pick up a late.. when I mean late, like 2012 late model I4 (2.3 or 2.5L) Ford engine from car-parts.com for 800 bucks locally. The advantage of a I4 over the V8 is weight and space. Ford declared a curb weight of around 1800 lbs in 62. A V8 swap turns a sub 2k lb car into a 2400 pound car pretty quickly.

My next thought is a late model I6. I'd run a 200 or 250 Ford I6 but the aussy head will set you back $2k and more and your stuck with a cast iron block. Not sure I'm a fan or BMWs or Lexus, but those seem to be the only current production cars with I6's unless there is something else.

I'm open to ideas!

Thanks Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Looking for an engine...

Post by ol boy »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

Might be an option...

306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Since you are willing to go "off-shore" for the engine, what about the Rover aluminum V-8? Those can't weigh much and have been around so long that parts and info should be readily available. I haven't seen one since the '60s, when it was a Buick engine, but there are several members here running them, lots of MS help available!
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Might stick with conus.

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

billr wrote:Since you are willing to go "off-shore" for the engine, what about the Rover aluminum V-8? Those can't weigh much and have been around so long that parts and info should be readily available. I haven't seen one since the '60s, when it was a Buick engine, but there are several members here running them, lots of MS help available!
They're a good choice in the UK as they are cheap. The smaller units pretty bomb proof, but only about 200 bhp unless you spends lots of money. Early 4.6 can suffer liner problems, and a fix is quite pricey (top hat liners) Late production better.

I'm rather a fan of the BMW I6 if you have room for one.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Would that be the BMW with the aluminum head screws that continually break?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

billr wrote:Would that be the BMW with the aluminum head screws that continually break?
Dunno, Bill. It that on a very recent version? I've had 4 different versions and my brother a further 3. Over the years. All pretty good. Are you saying they break in use?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, there was one series of I-6 that used aluminum, then they (apparently) went back to steel because of the failures. I don't know what engine it was, but had to help my son dig the nubbins out of the block then sneak in new ones (still aluminum!) and torque them, without removing a bunch of valve and intake stuff. My understanding is that it is always the same four screws, up at the front of the head/block; and it is frequent enough that seasoned BMW tech inspect them routinely whenever the hood is opened. Luckily, a couple are easily visible, so if those are broken, then you go in deeper to look at the other two.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Well, now you've convinced me not to look at BMW. The more I think about this the 2.3 or 2.5L I4 Ford might be the way to go.

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Understand, it isn't all BMW I-6s that have the aluminum screws, and *only* four break. Other models may be fine, but my perception is that all are "pricey". Please don't tell me you are going to use MS2 instead of MS3 to save $100, then waste far more for the BMW name on the valve-cover!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

billr wrote:Understand, it isn't all BMW I-6s that have the aluminum screws, and *only* four break. Other models may be fine, but my perception is that all are "pricey". Please don't tell me you are going to use MS2 instead of MS3 to save $100, then waste far more for the BMW name on the valve-cover!
It's going to come down to what is easily available from a scrap yard in your country. And what it costs. If an engine is reliable and not to much wanted by the kit car boys, it's likely to be cheaper than one which is popular. And I6 isn't generally a common choice.

Obviously, find out which engine uses those ally studs and avoid. There are plenty which don't.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i have a lincon mark 8 engine in my falcon, not an easy undertaking but an all aluminum v8
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It is easy for me to champion the barra 6 as they are common here. Also the valiant hemi 6 is a personal favorite of mine, also local. In your case in the greatest tradition of engines are popular for a reason, you should have a look into what a good toyota 2jz or RB nissan has to offer. Not inline but I am also a fan of the VG and VQ series of nissan v6 engines.
Not MS friendly but I also think the ecoboost 4 would be great engine in your light 62 falcon, they are not too shabby pushing the big Aussie falcons along at 1650kg/3650lb kerb weight.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

The more I keep reading on the 2.0L ecoboost/Mazda L series of I4 I might just go that route. One can snag a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission from a mid 00 MX5 maita to do a RWD conversion. As for MS control a MS2 will do just fine. 4 fuel, 4 spark (ls2 coil..) fidle valve. Use iac1 and 2 for fan and boost control. ADC 6 and 7 for baro and MAF. Pretty much a exact copy of my current set up driving my SBFord in a 64 falcon.

ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I'd like the all up weight to stay under 2k lbs. Only need a driver's seat. Pull the glass and add plexy. Gut the doors and such. Carpet.. headliner.. what's that? Just a fenderd go-cart in the end.

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Want something different? Use a RWD 3.4 660 engine, use the FWD top end for way better parts over the RWD top end, use DIS, and put an 80mm turbo on it.

Or just grab a whole FWD 660 engine like the 3.5 or 3.9.

One of those 3.9s has been into the 8's in the quarter in a 3000# third gen Camaro with a T4 turbo.

Ill be doing that in an old Mini Cooper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
neongreen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by neongreen »

The 62 falcon is nowhere near 1800lbs. My 62 Falcon with a Ford 2.3t and t5 and no interior is about 2700 with a full tank and no driver. The 2.3 Duratec is probably your best option for lightweight, I think it comes in at 235 lbs, which is about half what a traditional weighs. If I didn't already have the Lima 2.3 in there, the Duratec would be on my short list of engines for this car.

For a minute there I seriously thought about pulling it all out and going with the Toyota/Lexus 1JZ or 2JZ. Not light weight, but smooth and stupid powerful.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Not sure I believe 2700lbs.. I've weighed my 64 falcon V8 station wagon and it was only 3100 empty. There is roughly 500 lbs worth of glass hanging out past the rear tires plus the extra steel for the roof and fenders. Fords brochures from 60 and 61 claimed 2kish lbs. Car sold for $2k, 1 dollar per pound.

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yeah, I am also think it is well over 2000#. You think there is 500# of extra glass there? That seems very unlikely to me. Even so, subtract 500 from your 3100 and you are at 2600. As far as the "extra sheetmetal", I think that is a wash with normal trunk metal.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Found this.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ ... /1962.html

claiming 2300 lbs shipping weight. I'll pick the middle of my guess and your guess. 2300 lbs.

Save 200 ish lbs with the ecoboost, loose the glass, so on a so forth.. 2K doesn't seem to far of a stretch.