Using a 555 timer to control idle valve in any application

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kingtal0n
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Using a 555 timer to control idle valve in any application

Post by kingtal0n »

Hello fellow vehicle enthusiasts!

As I became more and more familiar with the power of electronics, I decided to make a couple novice circuits on my own to better understand the properties of electricity.

I recently was able to create my first 555 timer circuit, which of course produces a pulse-width (digital signal) capable of driving approx 200mA circuit.

I was wondering if anybody had every attempted (I am sure it must exist...) using such a device to drive an idle control valve as an auxiliary unit? A stand-alone idle control, if you will.
It seems almost too easy not to try, I must be missing some big piece of the puzzle (thus the posted question!)

Ignore the words in the picture, I was originally using it to diagnose an issue I had with the wiring (which I solved already). It seems almost too good to be true, a rotary dial in the vehicle capable of adjusting the engine idle up and down as the driver wishes? Preposterous!
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using a 555 timer to control idle valve in any applicati

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Yeah I have a small jaycar kit here (kc5382) based around a 7555 with a mosfet driver and a mur1560 diode clamp. Will drive 10A @ 1.5ohm load, 0-100% pot adjustable duty cycle.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
kingtal0n
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Using a 555 timer to control idle valve in any applicati

Post by kingtal0n »

I happened to find this which I thought was very interesting

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088139

I hope its ok to link to another forum like that. If not please fix it and let me know. I just want to help others learn is all.
I have access to my school's electronics lab being an engineering student (bioengineering... not electrical sadly) so I have all the resistors and capacitors you could possibly imagine at my disposal to play with (although I have no clue how to use them for the most part). I see the designs they sell in ebay to run PWM devices are... quite complex. Beyond what I was thinking I could accomplish anytime soon. So I am considering going back and perhaps getting another degree in an electrical field, but this remains to be seen, depending on how my other ambitions unfold. I am very poor, live with a grandparent, barely eat some days, so it is impossible for me to actually buy any 'fun' parts to play with, so I am pretty much restricted to what the school has. I was very lucky to have made friends over the years who kept me in mind for learning about ECU, such as megasquirt. I had been asking them for years to buy one and let me play with it, something I could never afford on my own, a modern stand-alone computer. Recently I had the opportunity to learn on two different engines, a Volkswagon and an LSx, my first time ever seeing both of those engines in person (I own a 20 year old nissan lol) , and the experience has been more challenging than I had hoped (I do love challenges) and forum has been instrumental the learning. I only wish I knew more and more... some of the things I see others do are just amazing and seem impossible to me from where I stand. And it gives me hope, keeps me coming back to the forum for more information as I progress, and simple circuits such as these on a little breadboard (a friend in the electronics lab finally broke down and gave me one, thank god for friends :D ) are helping me understand the basics of how electricity flows.