VAG MK6 GTI COP's in Waste Spark V8 (MS2 3.57 SMD)

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

3d_magic_mike
MS/Extra Newbie

VAG MK6 GTI COP's in Waste Spark V8 (MS2 3.57 SMD)

Post by 3d_magic_mike »

Hi everyone,

I have been building a boosted ITB 1UZFE Toyota V8 engine for one of my builds, and have recently found that the MK6 Volkswagen GTI 2.0t 4-wire COP coils fit the motor very well after trimming the plastic base slightly, and would like to use these on my build in waste spark. I have previously done this boosted motor swap in another car of mine with a simple MS2/EDIS-8 setup and it has been running flawlessly, but I would like some proper soft cut spark limiting and maybe 2-step down the road for this new build and to later retrofit in my EDIS-8 car.

I have seen the documentation in the MS2 manual for "logic coils" using the older style VAG COP's from the 1.8t motors, found here:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... .4-79.html (at very end of the section)

Here is a screenshot for reference:

Searching through the MS2 forums, i have also found this post about the 1.8t VAG coils discussing the ignition circuit choice and dwell settings:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=49648

I have attained the factory pinout for these new 2.0t coils, and they seem identical to the 1.8t coils described in the manual. It is also a popular upgrade in the 1.8t motor work to retrofit these newer 2.0t coils into the motor, and they are considered a "plug and play" swap with only slight differences in the length of the COP bodies. Here is a factory manual pinout for the 2.0t coils:

I have an old set of coils from my personal MK6 2.0t GTI motor, and i also bought a new "race car red" non-oem version to check the resistance across the module and figure out how I should run my ignition output circuit(s) on the 3.57 SMD board.

Resistance on both the OEM coil and the aftermarket seem to be between around the 400ohm range, which is similar to what i find in the manual:

(sorry pictures are upside down)

My main question is regarding my Logic spark outputs. I see the FET circuit route and the easier resistor method with the SMD board. It would seem by the documentation that I will need to use the FET driver method, since the resistance on my coil modules is not as high as 1k ohms. There also seems to be some back and fourth on the forums about these coils being "dumb" or being able to set and control dwell within the internal module. I would have thought for sure with it being a 4-wire COP that it would be a smart coil and handle dwell on it's own, but if not I can fine tune the dwell as it seems to be I see the value of 3.2ms for the 1.8t coils alot to use as a good starting point.

Does anyone have any feedback on the driver method for my logic coil outputs on 4 channels in waste spark for a V8 motor with these coils? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike
gary_808
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: VAG MK6 GTI COP's in Waste Spark V8 (MS2 3.57 SMD)

Post by gary_808 »

I used the previously available board that some body on here? (Sorry can't remember name) created to drive these coils, I think it's been discontinued? I'm yet to come across a logic level coil that you cant control the dwell? So I don't really understand where your coming from on that front..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VAG MK6 GTI COP's in Waste Spark V8 (MS2 3.57 SMD)

Post by Paul_VR6 »

These need pnp or tc4427 as the drivers. They need to be dwell controlled. 3.2ms nominal dwell is about what they use stock.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!