Opinions on VW 4 pack coils

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rickd4004
MS/Extra Newbie

Opinions on VW 4 pack coils

Post by Rickd4004 »

I am Microsquirting and turbocharging a small 4 cylinder motorcycle. I normally build these as N/A bikes and experience has taught me the importance of good coils. The stock Honda coils put out a feeble 15,000 volts. I normally upgrade them to Dyna coils that put out 35-40,000 volts.

Reading thru the M/S manual it looks like I can run 2 of my familiar Dyna coils in wasted spark mode, as long as I use a Bosch 0 227 100 200 module, but the VW 032 905 106B - 4 tower wasted spark logic coil has a distinct appeal. Compact, self contained, and cheap. The Bosch module is also not commonly available here in Canada, whereas the VW coil pack is available at any parts store.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these coils? Do they have a good/bad reputation when used on a turbo engine? The little bike engine will spin to 11,000 rpm, so that may be a consideration.

I am also wondering about an original VW coil vs an aftermarket coil. I could get an OEM VW coil from the local wrecker, but a brand new aftermarket one is only $40. Just wondering if the aftermarket ones are as "good" as OEM.

Thanks
Rick
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Opinions on VW 4 pack coils

Post by mickeymarrows »

James (jsmcortina) did some bench testing with these coil packs with great success, based on that I also adopted one for my own application, except in my case I only rev to 8k. I bought 2 second units from junk yards initially, but eventually bought a brand new Bosch item.
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I have made 150whp/cyl with these coils. 11k should be ok as we were in the 8-9k range often with no issues at pretty good power.

Not sure on the oem vs aftermarket though.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
mickeymarrows
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mickeymarrows »

I looked at some 'aftermarket' coils at a local German parts store and they were all pretty shoddy, the Bosch was double the price but well worth it for peace of mind as the quality was far superior.
'82 Golf GTI ABF 16v MS2 Extra sequential COP
'77 Scirocco G60 MS2 Extra sequential
ScottRS
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ScottRS »

I can't speak to the turbo side or realistically the RPM side, as my car is n/a and only revs to 6k, but I have two of the VW coils noted (cheap aftermarket $35ish each in my case, not OEM VW/Bosch) on a V8 with Microsquirt. Working great once I figured out the pull-up resistor value on the C and D channels (A and B were flawless from the get-go). C and D shouldn't be an issue for you on a 4 cylinder bike, though at the RPM range you're talking about, you could run into issues of not enough dwell time between ignition events. FWIW, I'm running 3.5mS nominal dwell and 1mS spark duration. I've not really experimented with either significantly.
Scott's Megasquirt adventure V2.0: It's a Jeep! Sort of. It's just a tube car that pretends to be a Jeep, hiding an MS3ProEvo, Ford 351W, two HX40 turbos, 42lb injectors, the kind of goodies my KOH car wishes it could've had back in the day.