Running injectors at lower than rated pressure?

Specifications, applications, part numbers, and prices for various OEM fuel injection components.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Lambo
MS/Extra Newbie

Running injectors at lower than rated pressure?

Post by Lambo »

I have 4 FAST injectors in a TBI unit rated at 85pph at 58 psi. I don't need near that much injector (50pph would have got it done).

I was curious if I could run these at a lower rate (like say 43psi) to both lower the output of the injector, and reduce stress on my fuel pump.

It probably isn't necessary that I do this, but I was curious if there would be any detrimental effects on the operation of the injectors? I know injectors get run at higher than rated pressures, but at a lower than advertised rate would it still atomize fuel properly?
Lambo
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Running injectors at lower than rated pressure?

Post by Lambo »

I suppose maybe it doesn't apply there, but i got my answer via the FB owners club, and also FAST tech support got back to me.

The simple answer is, yes, they'll work just fine, calculating out to 75pph at 43psi (the tested flow rate is 87pph at 58psi)
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

On port injectors I wouldn’t think twice but the high pressure on a tbi unit is used for the necessary atomization.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Lambo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Lambo »

That's interesting... I'd have assumed that better atomization would have been of greater importance in port injection???
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Nope, it has the hot intake valve to smack against and a lot more velocity with port inj.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Scott65
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Scott65 »

I have used 8 of those injectors on dual 4 ez efi at 35 psi, and they worked just fine. To the OP, did they happen to give you any other specs on these injectors? Like perhaps the dead times? I'm thinking of putting these same 8 injectors in a manifold with individual injector per port and was curious if the info is available...
Lambo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Lambo »

Sorry, I didn't get anything other than the rate/pressure specs. I would send an email to their tech support - they'll probably tell you everything you need. Please report back if you get any new information!