MS2/extra todo

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

muythaibxr
Site Admin

MS2/extra todo

Post by muythaibxr »

Here's what we plan to add to MS2/Extra 2.0 series codes:

Ken and James:
Bug fixes.

Here's what's planned for 3.0 codes

Jean:
1) 4 cyl sequential

Possible:
GPIO integration - on hold
More strange wheels if anyone tests the existing ones
Extended Microsquirt support
Last edited by muythaibxr on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 18 times in total.
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

If it hasn't already been implemented or isn't already part of the todo list, I would like to help out with cold-start fixed ASE/MAP feature and also on altitude compensation - two things that were done and/or in the works in MS/Extra. I don't think that the latter should be too difficult because Al already did it in the standard MSII code and it apparently works - that I can most likely code and test. The former shouldn't be horribly difficult either, as Phil and I already did a lot of the gruntwork in the MS/Extra code, but I think I'd like to get that implemented in the MSII/Extra code and make a few tweaks to how it works.

I just ordered an MSII kit and I hope to have it built and tested very soon. Hopefully I will be able to start contributing some more, especially because I understand C much more than I do ASM!

Thanks,
Mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

msoultan wrote:and also on altitude compensation -
As far as I know, we've already added what Al did. We've had it in there almost since he first put it in.

this is known as % baro load calculation in ms2/extra

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Hey Ken,
To be more specific, in your current MS2/extra implementation, does the user have the option to replace all values that rely on kpa for their lookups with the following value for kpa instead:

kpa*100/Baro

The reason for this is because at altitude, the wrong values are picked, especially in the case of an AFR table.

That is what Al implemented in the MS2 firmware and apparently it works, but I haven't heard much about it, especially because I haven't been able to test it myself. Keith and I tried to implement it in the MS1/extra code and ran into too many weird errors and ASM just frustrates me. I've got an MS2 on the way and I can understand C better than ASM so I'm a bit more motivated to help out again ;)

btw, here is the original thread that we started over on the msefi forum:

http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=24421& ... sc&start=0

thanks,
mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Yes. That's exactly what it means... that is where it makes sense to do that.

Pretty much everything except the "multiply baro" option does this when you select a primary load of % Baro.

Go download the latest release or alpha and have a look at it.

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Ok.. I think I see it now...

Let me soak this in for a few days. You did it slightly differently from Al's implementation (which is cool). If I'm correct, you adjusted the value at the beginning, whereas Al made the change to KPA at every instance that used it, correct?

Btw, another feature that I've always had to manually update in the firmware was changing the fastidle behavior. On my bus, applying voltage causes the idle valve to slowly close, so I don't have it turn on *until* it hits the correct coolant temp; this is the opposite behavior of most setups - apply voltage and the valve stays open until you hit the cutoff temp. I'll make this my first project in updating the firmware and understanding the new INI structure as it's a relatively easy update ;)

Thanks!
Mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I don't know how all implemented his % baro feature.

I calculate it once, maybe twice at the very top of the main loop, and then use that calculated value for the rest of that iteration of the main loop. No reason to calculate it more than that as far as I can tell.

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Hey Guys,
Could you put the dates next to when the item was added as well. I can't remember what the list looked like before the new additions and it's nice to know what is new ;)

thanks!
Mike
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Updated Satuday 16th June
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Hey Guys,
Could we add "localized web help" to the list. The current web help is unusable because how often is someone's tuning computer connected to the web? In my case, never... leaving me helpless! (sorry, stupid pun, couldn't resist ;) )

I think when firmware is released, it should include the updated HTML help file. I'm not exactly sure where it should be copied to, but that can be worked out.

If you would like me to start a thread for this, let me know and I'll get on it. I like having good documentation and this is something that I could help work on, especially because I'm at a phase where I could use it the most right now (new installation). Plus, I'm an HTML whiz!

Thoughts?
Mike
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

I'm currently working on two cod mods which will hopefully find their way into some future release. If not, that's cool, but I thought they might be of interest to some people:

1. Fast idle invert - This will allow the fast idle trigger to switch ON at a given temperature instead of OFF at a given temp. This will help for people that use the standard Bosch aux air regulator. This is a simple code mod, but I will need some help on where to store the flash bit variable.

2. Expanded coolant temperature range - Since I have an aircooled engine, the whole coolant temp thing has been problematic. I am working on expanding the temp range of the coolant tables such that it can deal with an expanded temp range (-40 to +500) and allow people to use their stock head temp sensors instead of trying to measure air temps with coolant sensors. I think this would be an exciting and welcome feature for all the aircooled folks.

I will start separate discussion threads for each of these topics.

Mike
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Is closed loop stepper idle control going to be something for v3.0 code?

I'm really looking forward to being able to have both fans on and blower motor on high without the car wanting to die. Or have that be ok and have a higher than I want idle w/o the electrical load.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Maglin wrote:Is closed loop stepper idle control going to be something for v3.0 code?

I'm really looking forward to being able to have both fans on and blower motor on high without the car wanting to die. Or have that be ok and have a higher than I want idle w/o the electrical load.
Seems like the existing closed loop code should be able to work with a stepper idle.. Simply take a step any time the code wants to increase or decrease the duty cycle.. Since the code only does the duty cycle in 1% steps already, it seems like it would be easilly adaptable to IAC mode..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I wouldn't call it "easily" adaptable as controlling the stepper motor is a bit more difficult than controlling a PWM idle valve.

The intention is, when I get to it to make the current closed-loop idle scheme work with the stepper by converting percent (duty) to steps before doing the control for it.

We don't even have normal stepper IAC working, and I'm not going to do anything with closed-loop until that works.

Ken
easyBob2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by easyBob2 »

Any word on getting the <12 tooth wheels working?

-Chris
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I was on vacation all last week. I just got back Sunday, and have worked two 12 hr days in a row at work, so have not had a chance to do anything with it.

I should have a chance to work on it this weekend.

Also, it's not all wheels with < 12 teeth. It's only wheels with < 12 teeth and a missing tooth. an 8 tooth wheel would likely work fine for a 4 cylinder.. but not for 8 cylinders... a 6 tooth wheel with a missing tooth breaks on 6 cylinders... with no missing teeth that would also probably work fine.

Ken
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Well I've been gone for a while.. Was wondering how sequential 4 cyl injection was coming along?
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
Caaarlo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Caaarlo »

Ohhh, BTW, I have found a very interesting patent about a method for detecting engine phase with only one crank position sensor. No need for a cam sensor.

It basically introduces a variation in fuel or spark, and then it identifies the cylinder by detecting slight RPM variation. Once this is done, the ECU is synchronized and all cylinders are identified, then sequential injection can take place.

It's being used in many cars equipped with Magneti Marelli ECUs.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... PN/5970784
MSnS-E 25mX custom version.
MT 2.25b602
V2.2 board

Click to see my car