Alpha test: Miata/DSM 4G63 Optical CAS Dual Wheel

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gernoff
MS/Extra Newbie

Alpha test: Miata/DSM 4G63 Optical CAS Dual Wheel

Post by gernoff »

I will be getting my MSII board next week and would like to use the MSII/Extra code.

I want to avoid re-inventing the wheel as it were and would like some input on required initial settings to make the CAS operate properly.

Hopefully this will become the MSII/Extra thread of choice for getting a 4G63 up and running.

Thanks for the input.
Special Stage Racing
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

If you check out the "miata wheel" thread, that wheel is pretty much identical to the DSM CAS, so you may find some info there. James was waiting for some much needed info for the CAS wheel, and i believe he now has that info. Now its up to him to code the wheel info, and for use to test it out. I'll be waiting patiently for the code to come out for testing as well. Big thanks to James and anyone else making this come along!
-Matt-
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 420A Turbo- MS2 Extra- 2.1.0 Release
1992 Plymouth Laser RS 4g63 AWD Turbo MS2 Extra- 3.0.3s
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I've half way through doing the 4/2 wheel. As in I've written some code, but it isn't finished yet. I hope to get another alpha out including this code by the end of the week.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

Excellent! Just in time for when i get the MS2 card..

On that note, i'll post this here:

I'm using a 2.2 board(i just built it, no additional features on it yet, BUT i do have the tach input mods, along with the 2nd trigger mods done, as the LED output mods)- When i drop in the MS2 card, i know i will have to change the 2nd trigger input, but it says to use an opto circuit for the 2nd trigger? I used the "original" mods with a protection resistor and a pullup resistor at pin 11 of the 40 pin socket, i did not use an opto circuit, it worked fine on my friends DSM install. Now, with the MS2, can i use the same resistor circuit for this, or should i build the opto circuit for the 2nd trigger? If i've read everything else correctly, the 2nd trigger will be the only wiring change needed when switching(minus the 12v input to the card). I'm not using any idle control, nor any need for injector flyback which is why i stuck with the 2.2 board. Any info on this would be great so this transistion and testing goes well. Also, when this code is done, if you can provide the settings needed to run this wheel, that would be perfect. Thanks for all your work James! Cant wait to bench test the new code!
Last edited by md95 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt-
gernoff
MS/Extra Newbie

DSM 4G63 Optical CAS Dual Wheel Beta Testing

Post by gernoff »

I'm assuming we can follow the input and output hardware modifications
that are now listed in the MS Extra Manual?:

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... l.htm#5cyl
Special Stage Racing
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

I've got 2 DSM's that are getting a MS2E very soon with probably a lot more after people see the 2 running.

I was in the process of building a MSI v3.0 unit and saw the MSII extra development so I pretty much stoped incase I had to change anything around.

I'll definitly be testing out the 4-2 code on 1 400+HP car and a 700+HP car. Been so excited about MSIIextra. I'm almost giddy.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

With many of the twin wheel setups I have written the code so that the main and secondary tach input must be of the same polarity.
i.e. if primary goes high on a gap, secondary must also go high on a gap.

Direct wiring will work as long as it is providing a 0/5v signal. Using the opto gives some extra protection but is functionally the same.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

James,
is the 4/2 codes actually functioning now? I can't get it to work. No rpm signal, no sync signal, nothing.
btw, how to calculate 'angle between main and return (deg)'.
please give some guidelines on how to use it.
TIA.
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

jsmcortina wrote:With many of the twin wheel setups I have written the code so that the main and secondary tach input must be of the same polarity.
i.e. if primary goes high on a gap, secondary must also go high on a gap.

Direct wiring will work as long as it is providing a 0/5v signal. Using the opto gives some extra protection but is functionally the same.

James
Yes, both inputs will be the same polarity, ie- both the crank and cam signals remain high at 5v, then go low to 0v when the "slot" passes the light sensing diodes in the CAS. I was just unsure to the 2nd trigger input on the MS2 processor, if it required "more" input protection than just a standard resistor like the MS2 processor. From what you are saying, i should be ok not using the opto circuit..
ames,
is the 4/2 codes actually functioning now? I can't get it to work. No rpm signal, no sync signal, nothing.
TIA.
He is still working on the code, so it's not yet supported in the 1.0 release version yet..
-Matt-
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Gokart wrote:James,
TIA.
The 4/2 mode in the 20070408 Alpha code is known not to work - I hadn't received the needed information at the time.
I hope to have it working in the next release though and was working on it yesterday.

Having seen the timing data I plan to make the 4/2 mode hardcoded to the one wheel given the special nature and position on the 2 slots.
The 4/1 wheel should be possible to remain more generic with angle and such settable.

James

Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

Thanks for clearing up my curiosity.
I'm ready for testing it on bench or in car.
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

Any updates for the 4/2 CAS? I'm ready to bench test as well..
-Matt-
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Let the test benches roll.

md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

Bench tested- No consistant RPM. It will blip up for a quick second, then says "synced", then goes to 0-1 rpm, "not synced". I'll notice a quick blip to 500+ rpm, then back to 0-1 rpm..It apears that the outer 2 LED's are not flashing as well, even at low RPM. I could get a quick flash here and there, but ONLY on LED 17. Settings are 4/2 CAS, skip pulses 4, rising edge, going low, wasted spark, output A on D14. Second trigger inpput on pin 17 of 40 pin socket.

Tried 4/1 CAS, this time i get RPM, no flashing LED's, or very intermitent;..dont know why i tried it, but i do have the 4/2 CAS..

This is strange, because i have a DSM 4/2 cas- 4 outer windows, 2 inner..yet i get rpm only with 4/1 CAS...I know i have to have the 4/2 CAS, because it works with MS1 Extra in wasted spark.. Well thats my preliminary testing.. I dont have any fancy test equipment to get involved with it, but i can tell when its at least "working" so to speak. Anyone else want to verify this info? Maybe i have something set wrong, but i'm pretty sure its all right.

note: This is a new board, but MS1 Extra code bench tested fine with this board...perfect rpm and LED spark output flashes..

EDIT: I just opened up my test CAS, and it does have 4 outer, and 2 inner windows..
Last edited by md95 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-Matt-
natesully
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by natesully »

I don't have a spare CAS, but I can shove it in my car next week. From MS-E-I, what do I need to move to test the CAS? Just my second trigger input to JS10, right?

I plan on installing MS-II (hard- I need to move my idle transistor, and a few other things on the board), then trying to get an RPM signal with everything disconnected but power and CAS while I don't need my car for a while next week. Is this code theoretically capable of running a car the way it is now, or is trying to make my car run going to cost me coils and/or pistons :D ?

EDIT: Ok, saw above- nevermind :( .
95 Miata M-Edition, GT28 Turbo
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

natesully wrote:I don't have a spare CAS, but I can shove it in my car next week. From MS-E-I, what do I need to move to test the CAS? Just my second trigger input to JS10, right?
Yes, that's all i did was move the 2nd trigger input to the correct pin. I dont have a v3 board, i'm using a 2.0, so no "JS10", but on the 2.2 board its pin 17 of the 40 pin socket, its JP1 pin 5. Spark outputs are identical, no wireing change needed. I just built this board fresh, so its not hacked up yet with extras..

Yeah def wait before trying to run this in the car..
Last edited by md95 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt-
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

No consistent rpm with CAS4/2 codes (20070417) just as what md95 quoted above.
Second trigger is connected to JP10 and is connected to JP4 on MS2 board.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Second trigger input on the alphas should be on JS10, not JP4.

Ken
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

muythaibxr wrote:Second trigger input on the alphas should be on JS10, not JP4.

Ken
Just to make sure i'm on the right pin, i'm using a 2.2 board, and my 2nd trigger input is on JP1 header, pin 5, wich goes right to pin 17 of the 40 pin processor socket..This is correct, right? From the pinout docs, pin 17 is JS10 for a 3.0 board.. I also tested the input on pin 17 right on the pin "nub" on the MS2 card, and it's right..I'm pretty sure i have it right? Do i need to use any jumpers on the MS2 card?

Also, i'm not using an opto circuit for the 2nd trigger, i wonder if this is a problem..i'm just using a protection resistor, and a pullup resisitor. I read somewhere that the opto inverts the signal, so i'm wondering if the opto is inputing a 0v low signal(no window trigger/ high on window trigger), and its a high signal for my 2nd trigger no window..Is this a possibility? I know James has said that both triggers need to be at the same state under both main and 2nd trigger events...
Last edited by md95 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Matt-
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

JS10 is pin17 while JP4 on MS2 card was attached to JS7(pin10). Do I have to move this jumper or just let it be as it is?
I tried moving around with that jumper by soldering it to pin17 so as to have a direct connection to JP4 but it just still gave out the same response as previously described.