420a - Neon Mode - Tests with MS2 Extra

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MegaSquirtPR.com
Helpful MS/Extra'er

420a - Neon Mode - Tests with MS2 Extra

Post by MegaSquirtPR.com »

Hi all.

I'm playing around with a 420a setup on a PCB3.0 board installed on an Eclipse RS 95. I tough I post what I'm trying for the benefit of other DSMers or 420a guys.

Well this is what I did, I'm not sure if this the correct way of doing things with MS2 Extra stuff however so any help will be really appreciated.

I just installed the PCB3.0 with the MS1 CPU and followed all the MS Extra Neon mods for a regular install. Got the engine running really nice and tune it a bit. After I was sure that I did correctly setup the spark and the fuel control with the MS1 and the Neon mode I then took another MS board with the basic fuel and dist setup and put a new MS2 over there.

I tested the MS2 first with the B&G code and make sure that the Stimulator LEDs where flashing properly and that the MT information showed nice. I then flashed the MS2 CPU with the new ms2extra_alpha20070408 firmware. All went smooth.

Got the new firmware uploaded and then took the MS2 CPU from that basic board and installed on the board that was modified and running with the MS1 on the car. I open the MT and notice it was reading fine and recognizing the MS2 Extra code on the CPU. I configured the MS2 then for the Neon/420a Ignition mode and then tried to see if I got tach signal but got nothing.

Then to make sure if the MS2 was getting a signal at all or if it just could not see any signal coming from the crank sensor at all, i just went to the configuration again but this time I specified "Basic trigger" on the decoder settings. To my surprise I started seeing the rpms as I cranked the engine and also it started firing out and the engine tried to start. Of course I knew it would not start, but I then guess that tells me that its sensing the crank sensor data when the engine is cranking...

Well thats all. Not too much maybe but maybe you can give me some hints of what I should try? Do I have to mod the board in a different way to get the proper signal to the MS2? Then why it manage to see it when I do specify the "Basic trigger" mode?

Let me list my settings so you could get a better idea of the current setup.

Spark Mode: 420a/Neon
Skip Pulses: 3
Ignition Input Capture: Falling Edge (I have tried Rising, no pulse either)
Spark Output: Going High (inverted)
Number of Coils: Wasted Spark
Spark A Output Pin: D14

All the rest is default settings, except for engine constants of course. :)

Thanks for any help!

- José
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Thanks for testing, but try alpha20070417 - see the Neon/420A testing topic.
The only difference seems to be the code version?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".