Neon/420A Wheel Decoder in MS2Extra not working for me :(

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

I'll see if i can give it a shot on my car. My poor eclipse is getting jealous of the Laser :) If i remember right, the last code that ran fine was the release that fixed the trigger wizzard.. I havent tried anything else on it since then. The eclipse is the toy, the laser is the DD, so it got more attention for the time being.
-Matt-
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 420A Turbo- MS2 Extra- 2.1.0 Release
1992 Plymouth Laser RS 4g63 AWD Turbo MS2 Extra- 3.0.3s
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Ok, I slowly backtracked the upgrades I made recently. First I removed the plug from the AIS (err, IAC). I also tried re-doing my grounds, they're probably a bit overboard now, but better safe than sorry. I'll never have to revisit them again. That didn't solve my problem either. Then I played with my injector PWM settings, no improvement. So I swapped back to my smaller, high impedance injectors I was previously running. Ding ding ding.. Runs perfectly again. Oh, and first thing this morning I upgraded to the 0610 alpha, since I had already ruled the code out as my problem. So now that my car was running perfectly again, I tried swapping between the old Neon angles, and the new ones. The car runs like absolute crap on the new angles. Swap back and it purrs like a kitten again.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
mpdsn
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mpdsn »

My most sincere apologies for the confusion. :oops: It appears that the order I used for the deg_per_tooth settings should have been as follows:

// 2007-06-10 Revised deg_per_tooth settings (www.santos-racing.com)
deg_per_tooth[0] = 600;
deg_per_tooth[1] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[2] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[3] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[4] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[5] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[6] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[7] = 1136;
deg_per_tooth[8] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[9] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[10] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[11] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[12] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[13] = 136;
deg_per_tooth[14] = 64;
deg_per_tooth[15] = 600;

I took the scope out to the car and checked to make sure that the signal my generator was creating was identical to the one from the crankshaft position sensor. (It was not exact and I have fixed it now.)

The car is idling very smoothly, although a little rich. I will take it out for a drive tonight and do some initial AFR tuning. I will let you know what happens.

Once again, please accept my apologies. Sorry for the delay.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

heh, yeah, that might make a big difference. :) I must say, the tooth decoder seems to be pretty tolerant, the car is still able to limp around with completely incorrect numbers in the code. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
johnsop1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by johnsop1 »

I was just reading the factory service manual for my 1999 neon. It says.
By counting the pulses and referencing the pulse from the 60 degree signature notch, the PCM calculates crankshaft angle (position). In each group of timing reference notches, the first notch represents 96 degrees before top dead center (BTDC). the second notch represents 49 degrees BTDC. The third notch represents 29 degrees. The last notch in each set represents 9 degrees before top dead center (TDC).
Should the code for 1999 neons look like this?

deg_per_tooth[0] = 600;
deg_per_tooth[1] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[2] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[3] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[4] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[5] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[6] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[7] = 1110;
deg_per_tooth[8] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[9] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[10] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[11] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[12] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[13] = 110;
deg_per_tooth[14] = 90;
deg_per_tooth[15] = 600;
Drive your junk. 1989 mustang.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The code is using both edges of the crank tooth.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I mentioned somewhere, but I'll mention it here again. With the corrected numbers in the code, my engine runs just as well on either setting.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage