MS2/Extra 2.0 bug list (OLD, for REFERENCE ONLY)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

MS2/Extra 2.0 bug list (OLD, for REFERENCE ONLY)

Post by jsmcortina »

Please post confirmed code bugs here and we'll update our progress on fixing them and delete them when completed.
Please always re-check with the latest 2.0 code before posting.

We have pretty much completed all of the features we intend to add on the 2.0 code and want to move into a bug fixing phase.

James

EDIT BY KEN:

I'm starting a new bugs thread with all known bugs in it.

Ken
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
mattd860
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2/Extra 2.0 bug list

Post by mattd860 »

jsmcortina wrote:Please post confirmed code bugs here and we'll update our progress on fixing them and delete them when completed.
Please always re-check with the latest 2.0 code before posting.

We have pretty much completed all of the features we intend to add on the 2.0 code and want to move into a bug fixing phase.

James
I've been running with normal distributor and 60-2 crank wheel for a couple months now and haven't noticed any bugs. The only one I found was with the EAE lag compensaion but Ken already knows about that. For my setup with the latest Alpha release (6/10b), the code seems solid.

James/Ken, ff they'res something specific you want me to check for, just let me know.
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

I am not finding the 2.0 code...
where is it?
EDIT:
OOOOOOhhh ..
I was lookn for it to possably install and toy with...
but yea, ok then :oops:
Last edited by Lordprimate on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MS-II Blue V3 PCB
MT 2.25 Final Release w/ MS2/Extra 2.0.1 Firmware
In a 1.9L 93 Saturn SC2 w/ GM DIS.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/741154
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

Most of the alphas are what is going to be the 2.0 code. So if you find a bug in those, that is what should go here.

I hope that helps.

Fred.
tk_tech
Helpful MS/Extra'er

ports and info on ports

Post by tk_tech »

please take care of the ports please, i have the extra board and the only thing that is useable is the baro sensor. there are no inputs or outputs for general purpose, knock has two but i am already using for o2 and and baro, table switching, egr, i think tacho out has the best example of of what is needed for all ports.

most of all some real docs on the ports. not just a ref to another page.

i guess i should be talking to glens garage i got this board from him. glens garage has something listed as u1-15.

all i am looking for is a chart with which ports can be used as inputs and with as outputs. this is not very clear. and then the ablitity to actually pick and use the port.

all input and output port should work the same so why is this a problem. all the software needs to know is which port to look at.

i made a board mod to use pe1, but there is no referance to it from then on. what can i use it for. and why can't i pick it.

sorry guys, but if i could do this i would. this should have been one of the first things done. when starting a new code. a basic software, hardware format that functions and then mod from there.

sean
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

it is in the docs and was one of the first things done. that is if you mean port assignments. if not i dont know what you mean?

fred.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: ports and info on ports

Post by muythaibxr »

tk_tech wrote: sorry guys, but if i could do this i would. this should have been one of the first things done. when starting a new code. a basic software, hardware format that functions and then mod from there.
sean
We do what we have time for, when we have time for it. 2.x is alpha code, so it's largely undocumented.

Ken
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This is from a 'scope test: It lets you enter negative trigger angles in distributor mode, but they cause the dwell to jump to 5-6 times as long as it should be.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
tk_tech
Helpful MS/Extra'er

looking good except tps

Post by tk_tech »

hey guys i finally have got to installing, all sensors are good, so far. except for tps. it cals funny 140 for closed and 0 for wide open throttle.

to tired to play any more today, fidle tomorrow, knock, ingition.

2- lc-1's sensors, fan, water pump, iat, clt, and everything else working so far. still have to install fuel lines so a couple of days away from starting, i am running a mechanical fuel pump. but its looking good.

anyone using a mallory unilite for a v-8, just looking for input, on set-up for it.

good work guys,

sean
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: looking good except tps

Post by muythaibxr »

tk_tech wrote:hey guys i finally have got to installing, all sensors are good, so far. except for tps. it cals funny 140 for closed and 0 for wide open throttle.
Either the TPS is broken, or wired backwards... or both.

Ken
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

Just wondering,

I have installed the Last Alpha , NOT the Latest..

When i do a table burn ... OR Any kind of burn after a Change has been made....

it is as if, the MS turns off for a Split Second....

or another way of discribing it is .. maybe a Restart.. Not totaly turned off for a split sec.. but the engine TOTALLY DIES for .5 Sec.. and then starts runnng again and catches up to where it was before i burned..

I usually burn during ideling.. so its like a Stutter... and then the engine runs normal again
MS-II Blue V3 PCB

Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

MS2/Extra 2.0 bug list

Post by Keithg »

it is definitely more aggressive than an MS1 burn (0610b and 0617 -
those are the only ones I have tested). Mine stalls unless I rev it up
before I hit burn. If teh revs are at 1100 or so, I can burn and not
kill it.

KeithG
On 6/19/07, Lordprimate <Lordprimate@comcast.net> wrote:
[quote]

Just wondering,

When i do a table burn ...

or another way of discribing it is .. maybe a Restart.. Not totaly turned
off for a split sec.. but the engine TOTALLY DIES for .5 Sec.. and then
starts runnng again and catches up to where it was before i reflash..

I usually reflash during ideling.. so its like a Stutter... and then the
engine runs normal again

MS-II Blue V3 PCB
MT 2.25 Final Release w/ 2.687 Firmware
In a 93 Saturn SC2 w/ GM DIS.....

rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

all on the 10th may alpha but...

when i was trying to tune, quite often things would appear corrupted

menus changed
fuel only set
etc etc

but it kept running fine and behaving correctly.

the only solution to this seemed to be to reburn the whole last good msq.

this burns about 5 times or so, and i found it convenient to just hold it at 2k where it appeared nothing more than a little miss.

megatune could do with a "still burning" dialog of some sort as the first time i did this not realising how long it takes, i thought mt had crashed and gave it the old ctrl C from the console and restarted it.

looks like it was assumed that burning was instant enough to not warrant a small warning or progress box.

just my thoughts, nothing i cant live with.

fred.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

rb26dett wrote: megatune could do with a "still burning" dialog of some sort
Without re-writing Megatune this isn't possible.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Lordprimate wrote:Just wondering,

or another way of discribing it is .. maybe a Restart.. Not totaly turned off for a split sec.. but the engine TOTALLY DIES for .5 Sec.. and then starts runnng again and catches up to where it was before i burned..

I usually burn during ideling.. so its like a Stutter... and then the engine runs normal again
There is no way around this aside from burning from the main loop. Part of this is also due to our paging mechanism, which allows us to have more tuning data than RAM.

Ken
johnc32779
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by johnc32779 »

As noted by rb26dett, burning an MSQ file takes longer than one might expect (40 - 45 seconds).

It turns out the problem I reported yesterday "Unable to Burn MSQ file", which was moved to the MLV forum, was a direct result of not appreciating how long this task takes. Adding to the confusion is that XP's Windows Task Manager reports MegaTune as "not responding" during a majority of the burn period, which caused me to think MegaTune had crashed.

I have to agree with rb26dett that some means is needed which gives feed back indicating a MSQ burn process is alive and proceeding normally. Granted one can live with it, but as more and more users adopt MS2-Extra I suspect this issue, if not addressed, will generate a lot of unnecessary message traffic.
BMW 1971 E3 Sedan; 1989 E34 M30 Engine, 60-2; 5spd-OD
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

MS2/Extra 2.0 bug list

Post by rb26dett »

what type of code is mt written in, it seems like a trivil change. its
only really required for the msq burn. i may grab the code and have a
look, but i have no idea about win libs and such.

even just a warning in that dialog next to the button stating that it
will take some time would be a good start. something mentioning the
misses at the time would be good to, some advice to raise the revs, or
do it while not running :-)

regards,

fred.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

muythaibxr wrote:
Lordprimate wrote:Just wondering,

There is no way around this aside from burning from the main loop. Part of this is also due to our paging mechanism, which allows us to have more tuning data than RAM.

Ken
ok so its suppose to do that..

Werd... just makin sure
MS-II Blue V3 PCB

rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

i remebered reading about the design limitation of the chip when mops and others were having issues with the bg code doing the same thing. they were trying to get around it. but its not actually possible.

in particular, it struck me that it was a per table pause and that with ms2e getting quite big, it has more tables to burn, and thus more delays.

thats what made me click that it was fine anyway.

just thought i'd share.

fred.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

rb26dett wrote:i remebered reading about the design limitation of the chip when mops and others were having issues with the bg code doing the same thing. they were trying to get around it. but its not actually possible.
Correct, you can alleviate it a bit by burning in the main loop, but it will never go away completely.

Ken