Expanded coolant temps for aircooled engines - help wanted!

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

masterx81 wrote:Probably they have done this because °F is the american temp unit, and a byte in ram is 8 bit, so 255 combintions...
Little simpler in sw development, but using °C wasn't that complicated (if planned during development...), now, a little more complicated because all sw (mt, megatunix,etc) must be updated to take the advantage of a bigger temp range...
Actually, it's no longer a byte in ms2... it's an int, so 2 bytes, to take advantage of the 10-bit ADC.

EDIT: looks like efahl already did a good job explaining here.

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

muythaibxr wrote:
masterx81 wrote:Probably they have done this because °F is the american temp unit, and a byte in ram is 8 bit, so 255 combintions...
Little simpler in sw development, but using °C wasn't that complicated (if planned during development...), now, a little more complicated because all sw (mt, megatunix,etc) must be updated to take the advantage of a bigger temp range...
Actually, it's no longer a byte in ms2... it's an int, so 2 bytes, to take advantage of the 10-bit ADC.

Ken
Hey Ken,
Since we're talking about variables in the code, can you think of an any temp limitations that I might run into when I adjust the INI to allow higher input temps? I haven't found anything yet, but that doesn't mean much ;)

Thanks!
Mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I'd have to check to verify whether anything would potentially roll over.

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

muythaibxr wrote:I'd have to check to verify whether anything would potentially roll over.

Ken
Cool.. I'll make the updates to the INI and start doing some brute force testing and see what happens. Keep me posted if you come upon anything...

Thanks!
Mike
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

GREAT NEWS!!

Things are looking really good! After updating the INI limits for anything having to do with the coolant temperature, I tested out every single temperature dialog I can find and I'm able to burn (and fetch) 600F into each one of them!!!! I'm going to throw it on the car tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. This should be really exciting.

I also rebuilt the coolant temp table, installed a new bias resistor (390 ohms for my sensor), and compiled the temp table straight into the MS2Extra code.

In the process, I did find a bug in MT, but it's not specific to MS2Extra, so that's good. Here are the details:

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=27345&highlight=

I don't know if it's already a known bug, but I thought I'd mention it anyways...

I'll keep ya posted with my results. Things are looking very promising so far!

stay tuned...
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Ok, got stuck on some tach issues, but I think I should have that resolved this evening. So far, when I've briefly hooked up my MS2 board (after my MSI was running for a little while), I saw some temps in the 280 range so that was exciting!

I'll keep ya posted with updates as they become available.

Thanks!
MIke
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

So, is this mod merely an edit to the MT ms2extra.ini file?

KeithG
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Keithg wrote:So, is this mod merely an edit to the MT ms2extra.ini file?

KeithG
So far it's an INI file mod and new CLT lookup table mod so the temps go up to 600. However, if you use MT to upload a new table, Eric set MTs table generator limit to 350 which should be more than sufficient for the water-cooled engines..

Mike
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

OK.. FINALLY got the bus running on MSII - gosh that took forever!

Initial results are looking good with the head temp sensor. So far it was running around 300, but I haven't had a chance to take it on the freeway and see how high it's gonna go. But regardless, this is a huge advance in dealing with aircooled engines!

I'll post more info when I have some time to test things out.

Thanks,
Mike
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Things are looking really good on the aircooled temp front. I just talked with Eric and he's willing to make the mods to MegaTune to expand the coolant temp range. If anyone would like to comment on this, please see this thread:

http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=26324&highlight=

Thanks!
Mike