MS2/Extra 2.0 beta flashing issues

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Can you download the firmware to your MS2?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:45 am

I can load all MS2/Extra firmwares
95%
I cannot load the recent beta codes, but 0610 and earlier work
5%
I cannot load any MS2/Extra codes
No votes

Total votes: 19

Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Excellent. Glad you got it on their finally. Only other issue I can see is if you have it nested to far in and exceed the character limit of DOS. It's still their in XP. I found that out when I tried to flash with my laptop. Just moved the directory to root and it worked. BTW it said it couldn't execute the program in the cmd window.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
Johan O R
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Johan O R »

when using my usb-serial dongle, i can firmware update MS2 and MS2/extra 1.0
But now when i am upgrading to MS2/extra Beta 13 it dident work.

After trying a lot of times with and without bootloader and different programs, and ports. with no luck

I tried another laptop with a real COMport and now it works.

I have posted the error messages if anyone can use them.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

For me I found that to upgrade from B&G code require 2 steps. First upgrade to ms2 extra 1.0 using standard bootloader. Then upgrade to the newer versions with the download program. Couldn't get it to work any other way, and have done this on two different MS2's.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

odd, following the .bat file instructions has worked every time on every ms2 I've tried it on for me.

Ken
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I went straight to the beta's/alpha's with both of my MS2 chips, no problem. Only problem I have been having is Win2k has made my built in serial port very flakey, I often get timeouts halfway through a flash. Sometimes they timeout in such a way that I have to put the bootjumper on and reflash the bootloader to get it working again! I've changed the port settings every which way with no luck. Even sending an MSQ to the unit in MT after a flash is hard to do, I get page timeouts on half the pages and have to send it 3 or 4 times before I'm pretty sure all of the pages made it.
I never had these problems with Win98 on the laptop.. I just upgraded to Win2k to get rid of some interface glitches in MT, as well as to gain hibernation support, which cuts my bootup times in half.. :)
Oh, and MS1 never has a single problem in Win2k, but then, I'm not reflashing MS1 every week or two. ;)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

MS1 also operates at 9600 bps, where ms2 is at 115200.

Ken
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yes.. Can we slow down MS2? User defined port speed?
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

wes kiser wrote:For me I found that to upgrade from B&G code require 2 steps. First upgrade to ms2 extra 1.0 using standard bootloader. Then upgrade to the newer versions with the download program. Couldn't get it to work any other way, and have done this on two different MS2's.
Tried with the latest stuff, and I no longer have to do this.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
tim_s
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tim_s »

I have trouble with the XP laptop i use to tune MS with - it works with earlier betas but not recent ones. I can use a spare XP laptop fine, however! both laptops have their serial ports set up as required by MS2.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Hello everyone,

It's a rainy cold day, so I figued I'd try to load up the latest Beta for my Neon since the Neon/420a crank reader seems to be pretty well sorted now.

Well, I've had a LOT of trouble getting this to load, and I'm wondering if there is any chance that my MS2 chip might be bad?

My old setup was MS1E ver 29t running fuel and spark Neon mode with two VB921s driving the coils, on a V3 board. I run a Dell laptop with XP for the operating system, and a real serial port (Com1).

Anyway, this is FRUSTRATING! ! ! :evil:

I brought the MS inside to try to load it up using the stim (standard style) for power so I didn't have to unhook the coils until I got the setup configured for the inverted spark. I can't get the MegaTune to communicate with the MS no matter what I do, and I can't get the Beta loaded at all. . .

All I get when I try to do this is the same error message as mentioned above:

"ERROR: Timed out reading response, 0xE0"

Maybe I've got to try it in the car or something since I only have ~9V to the MS from the stim?

I've tried it on my laptop and now my desktop (also XP, and from a serial port I configured as described in the conversion instructions). Same crap either way. . .

I also used the regular bootloader program (is that what you call it?) to load up the last release I had downloaded, I think it was release 1.0.2. It seemed to load up fine, but then I couldn't get the MegaTune to communicate with the MS2. It says no response. . .

Then I tried again to reload the latest Beta from the batch file, and the same error message. . .

This is with the same laptop I use successfully for my MS1 tuning and logging.

Any ideas? I'd REALLY like to try out the MS2E!

Thanks in advance as always!

Thad
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Tjabo wrote:Then I tried again to reload the latest Beta from the batch file, and the same error message. . .
What options did you choose in the batch file?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

I started by choosing the option for upgrading from MS2 code, because I thought that was probably installed on my chip as it came to me, and I went through that process, but as I recall, that didn't work all the way through.

Then I tried the "N" method, and that didn't work.

I tried both ways a few more times, with no luck before I used the regular bootloader method to install the release, and then went back to using "N".

Are there any other options I may have overlooked? These things are often USER ERROR when I'm involved! :oops:

Thanks,

Thad

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also unhooked my coils and tried this in my car. I used the "N" option. Same result. . .
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Tjabo wrote:I started by choosing the option for upgrading from MS2 code, because I thought that was probably installed on my chip as it came to me, and I went through that process, but as I recall, that didn't work all the way through.
It would probably help if you found out where it failed :)
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

I take it that this doesn't indicate where it failed then?:

"ERROR: Timed out reading response, 0xE0"

This is in the installation process using the "N" option after it indicates it has begun the process, and has "wiped" part, or something like that. . .
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Tjabo wrote:I take it that this doesn't indicate where it failed then?:
.. or something like that. . .
Not enough information.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Okay, here's what usually happens:
Downloading new Firmware to Megasquirt board
PLEASE NOTE: This is for MS2 or Microsquirt ONLY !!
..............! ! W A R N I N G ! ! .............

This will wipe out ALL settings on the Megasquirt.

so if you havent saved the settings in MegaTune
it may be best to Quit and do it now !
MS2 or Microsquirt choice.
1 - MS2
2 - Microsquirt
Q - Quit
Select Megasquirt type [ MS2 ]: Q to Quit [1,2,Q]?

I choose "1"
Communication ports:
1 - COM1
2 - COM2
3 - COM3
4 - COM4
5 - COM5
6 - COM6
7 - COM7
8 - COM8
9 - COM9
Q - Quit
Select download port [ COM1 ]: Q to Quit [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Q]?

I choose "1" again
If you are upgrading from standard Megasquirt2 code you will need to
use the boot jumper soon. If you are upgrading from a recent MS2/Extra
then this program will do it for you.
If you are unsure then press Y to quit - press Q
. Please read the README file!!!
Are you upgrading from standard Megasquirt2 code [Y,N,Q]?

I usually choose "N", especially since I seemed to successfully install the 1.0.2 release code.
1. Turn Megasquirt ON
Press any key to continue . . .
2. ! ! W A R N I N G ! !
!!!Ensure ALL Direct Driven Coils Are UNPLUGGED from MS ECU!!!
. If in doubt unplug all ignition coils from system!
. Damage to the MS ECU will result if you leave
. coils driven from the MS plugged in
ECHO is off.
ms2dl.exe -c1 ms2_extra.s19
MegaSquirt Download 1.05

Reading ms2_extra.s19:
ms2_extra.s19
Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.
Entry point: 0xc000
Code range : 0x4000-0x3dbcd0
File read successfully.

Reading ms2_extra.s19:
ms2_extra.s19
Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.
Entry point: 0xc000
Code range : 0x4000-0x3dbcd0
File read successfully.

Opened comm port 1 at 115200.

At this point it tends to "hang" for several seconds. . . Then eventually it says:

ERROR: Timed out reading response, 0xE0
Anything else I can post up? I guess I'm about to reinstall my MS1Extra, since I have used up close to all of my available hours for this for today, and haven't even started to tune. There's always another day!

Thad
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Try using the jumper as if you're installing from the standard firmware. Post those results.
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

muythaibxr wrote:Try using the jumper as if you're installing from the standard firmware. Post those results.
Yeah, did 1.0.2 even have the new bootstrap?

You might want to change the batch file to say:

Code: Select all

Are you upgrading from MS2Extra v2.0 code and up (bootstrap already loaded) [Y,N,Q]?
Obviously you would need to reverse the roles of Y and N, but the question would be a bit more definitive. Right now that question is kinda confusing...
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

muythaibxr wrote:Try using the jumper as if you're installing from the standard firmware. Post those results.
Okay, with any luck, I'll get a chance to do that tonight after work.

Just to make sure I understand though, I should answer that I am upgrading from regular MSII firmware, and follow the instructions through to the letter, right? (and then post up all of the resulting info like I did above)

Thanks again for all of the effort guys!

Thad
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Tjabo wrote:
Okay, with any luck, I'll get a chance to do that tonight after work.

Just to make sure I understand though, I should answer that I am upgrading from regular MSII firmware, and follow the instructions through to the letter, right? (and then post up all of the resulting info like I did above)
Yes, because 1.0.2 did not have the bootstrap, which means you're starting from the same place as if you're coming from the standard MSII firmware...