MS2/Extra 2.0 beta flashing issues

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Can you download the firmware to your MS2?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:45 am

I can load all MS2/Extra firmwares
95%
I cannot load the recent beta codes, but 0610 and earlier work
5%
I cannot load any MS2/Extra codes
No votes

Total votes: 19

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Okay, I've tried it starting with the "Y" option before, but I'll try it again so I can post up the actual text that comes up.

Might there be any use in me installing some straight-up MSII code on this chip to make sure where I'm ACTUALLY starting from? :|
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Tjabo wrote:Okay, I've tried it starting with the "Y" option before, but I'll try it again so I can post up the actual text that comes up.

Might there be any use in me installing some straight-up MSII code on this chip to make sure where I'm ACTUALLY starting from? :|
No, it doesn't matter. The reason that they're asking is to know whether or not the new bootstrap should be installed. If you are running a v2.0 and up version of MS2Extra, that would mean that you most likely have the new jumperless bootstrap installed.

Regardless, just go ahead and reinstall the bootstrap and follow the instructions exactly and then post your results...

Thanks,
mike
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Okay, using the "download-ms2-firmware" batch file, I first chose "1" for MS2, and "1" for Com1. Then I got this on the screen:
If you are upgrading from standard Megasquirt2 code you will need to
use the boot jumper soon. If you are upgrading from a recent MS2/Extra
then this program will do it for you.
If you are unsure then press Y to quit - press Q
. Please read the README file!!!
Are you upgrading from standard Megasquirt2 code [Y,N,Q]?

This time I choose "Y"

Then I got this:
1. Turn off Megasquirt
Press any key to continue . . .
2. ! ! W A R N I N G ! !
!!!Ensure ALL Direct Driven Coils Are UNPLUGGED from MS ECU!!!
. If in doubt unplug all ignition coils from system!
. Damage to the MS ECU will result if you leave
. coils driven from the MS plugged in
3. Install Boot jumper
4. Turn on Megasquirt
ms2dl.exe -c1 bootstrap.s19
MegaSquirt Download 1.05

Reading bootstrap.s19:
bootstrap.s19
Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.
Entry point: 0xc000
Code range : 0x4000-0xfff0
File read successfully.

Opened comm port 1 at 115200.
Erasing main FLASH:
Erased.
Writing:
Write complete, 213 records, 3392 bytes.
Verifying:
Verification succeeded, 213 records total (8 skipped).
Bootstrap loaded...
5. Turn off Megasquirt
6. Remove Boot jumper
7. Turn on Megasquirt
ms2dl.exe -c1 ms2_extra.s19
MegaSquirt Download 1.05

Reading ms2_extra.s19:
ms2_extra.s19
Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.
Entry point: 0xc000
Code range : 0x4000-0x3dbcd0
File read successfully.

Opened comm port 1 at 115200.
Erasing main FLASH:
Erased.
Writing:
Setting page register 0x3b:
Page set.
Erasing page 0x3b:
Erased.
Setting page register 0x3c:
Page set.
Erasing page 0x3c:
Erased.
Setting page register 0x3d:
Page set.
Erasing page 0x3d:
Erased.
Write complete, 4041 records, 64607 bytes.
Verifying:
Setting page register 0x00:
Page set.
Setting page register 0x3b:
Page set.
Setting page register 0x3c:
Page set.
Setting page register 0x3d:
Page set.
Verification succeeded, 4041 records total (8 skipped).

And huh, what do you know. . . D14 is flashing in time with Injs 1 and 2 on the stim, and the fuel pump led on the stim is on . . . . I can adjust the flash rate with the coarse and fine RPM pots. . . I think this sucker might be working! Can it be!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Uh oh, then I was messing around with the coarse RPM adjuster and D15 came on and won't go off. . . What does that mean? I need a Jim Stim!

I'll let you know!

Thad
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Tjabo wrote: And huh, what do you know. . . D14 is flashing in time with Injs 1 and 2 on the stim, and the fuel pump led on the stim is on . . . . I can adjust the flash rate with the coarse and fine RPM pots. . . I think this sucker might be working! Can it be!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Uh oh, then I was messing around with the coarse RPM adjuster and D15 came on and won't go off. . . What does that mean? I need a Jim Stim!

I'll let you know!

Thad
Looks like you got it. Now you just need to get MegaTune hooked up and start configuring all the settings. Good luck!

Mike
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Yep! Got 'er up and running on the desktop pc. Now to bring in the laptop and see if I can have success with that. If so, I'll load up my maps and such and try it out in the car.

I'm on a roll!

Only problem is that I have NO idea what if anything I did different from yesterday when I went through this process. . . :?

Anyway, thanks!

Thad
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Tjabo wrote:Yep! Got 'er up and running on the desktop pc. Now to bring in the laptop and see if I can have success with that. If so, I'll load up my maps and such and try it out in the car.

I'm on a roll!

Only problem is that I have NO idea what if anything I did different from yesterday when I went through this process. . . :?

Anyway, thanks!

Thad
You know, I have a strange quirk with my laptop - if I have the serial cable hooked up without MegaTune running, upon applying power to the MS it will go straight into the bootloader mode without the jumper. This is unfortunately something that can't be fixed, however there are only a few people that are seeing this behavior. I don't know if this got ya or not.

One other thing to avoid. Do not take your previous MSQ and try and import it into the beta - it won't work. Export your tables and import them into the beta and then copy the rest of the settings by hand. I tried to import the settings and it screwed everything up.

Also, if it takes you forever to burn the MSQ (minute and a half), let me know and I'll show you the fix.

Mike
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thanks to everyone who helped out, I got it running, and a good enough tune on it that I'm going to leave it in for tomorrow and drive it!

Regarding the flash problem, the only thing I can think of that I was doing differently yesterday when I couldn't get it to flash is that when I was going through the process with the boot jumper, I was leaving the stim powered up (to a wall socket converter), and I was plugging the stim to the MS box for "power it up," and unplugging it from the MS case for "turn it off." I don't know if that could cause a problem, but I think that is the only difference between last night and tonight. . .

Oh well. . . SUCCESS! ! !

Thanks,

Thad
S13Turbo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by S13Turbo »

I am having similar problem I'm using a USB serial adapter, and I got it to upload the firmware but when I tried uploading data from megatune (engine constants) all the leds came on and now it won't communicate with the pc.
offtrack
Helpful MS/Extra'er

doa on DEL CPX .

Post by offtrack »

My DELL CPX always fail , have 2 more at work they fail too.
only MT loaded, XP sp2 ( release and beta 18) using batch file.

found the Baud clocks were slow on DELLS.

so I bought a PCMCIA PCcard 232, rated at 15mbps and it runs perfect.

i used a P3bf PIII 450mhz desktop , and that burns like a tornado,
no issues on this very old desktop.

laptops have low 16x baud clocks that are not accurate.
not all just many.
MS2V3+msextra,beta21+
DiyAutotune! < the best!
custom pnp harness done, default timings.
idles, cool, tripadation sets in, MLV soon.
2 years till retirement, then doing MS on wifes family cars. for economy $7 gallon fuel.
MKIII
MS/Extra Newbie

success eventually

Post by MKIII »

finally got code onto the ms2.
using an st labs dual serial pmcia card on a dell cs (ancient laptop)
had loads of trouble at first, with all the previously reported errors, but all the hardware tests were ok,
in desperation i swapped the power supply i was using, 9v 500ma output, for a 12 volt cordless drill battery, tried to flash and bingo straight on no problems, looks like the power supply was not man enough for the job.
it will flash the std code using the gui loader, and the newer codes using the batch file.