MS2/extra beta 8 (20070818)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

muythaibxr
Site Admin

MS2/extra beta 8 (20070818)

Post by muythaibxr »

The only change in this beta from beta 7 is that I added overboost protection.

I'll fix all remaining bugs when I'm back from vacation, then it's on to 2.1 development!

Here's the beta:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/files/b ... 070818.zip

Ken
Last edited by muythaibxr on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eville140
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Eville140 »

That rocks, thanks
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2/extra beta 8 (20070818)

Post by Jon k »

muythaibxr wrote:The only change in this beta from beta 7 is that I added overboost protection.

Ken
YES!! THANK YOU I LOVE YOU KEN!
1992 BMW 525i M50 Non Vanos 24v Turbocharged
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Got Beta 8 going on my Explorer today.

Specs-

Ford EEC-IV adaptor board
Megasquirt V2.2 board with MS2 daughterboard
4.0 V6
Port injection.
6x19lb injectors.
Single ported TB.
Ford PWM idle valve.
EDIS
Independant Baro.
A4LD trans control using the Warmup and Accel LED ports to drive the L/U and 3/4 shift solenoids.(port outputs drive 2 High current drivers on the adaptor board)
LCDash V1.5 with working Speedo Gauge. (VSS to the VR circuit on the adaptor board.)

Props to everyone involved in the creation of this code!! Everything I have tried so far works exactly as it's supposed to work. (knock on wood)

Ken, Closed loop idle works like a Charm after minor P and D reduction. Idle is exactly the target RPM. Even with the summer Max A/C cycling on/off, and putting the trans in and out of gear. As soon as the load is applied or removed it only takes about 2 seconds to get back to target RPM. The idle is literally rock solid!! 156hz and I don't hear a thing, and there's plenty of adjustment with nice and smooth transition from Cold to Hot.

Great job!!
Last edited by MegaScott on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Scott can you provide a part number for the Ford PWM valve you're using?
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Jon k wrote:Scott can you provide a part number for the Ford PWM valve you're using?
It's the stock Ford plunger type Valve. they put practically the same valve on all EFI Fords from 86 to 93. The part number on mine is - AC-23 or Ford F0TE-9F715B1A

I've seen people tap out the holes for pipe fittings and add nipples and hoses for use on almost any engine.

On my engine it's bolted to the side of the intake plenum.
mops
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mops »

ah, overboost protection... finally !

so great !

thanks team !
BMW, 1985, E30, 325i, 2-door, 5spd. Lots of custom work. Turbo build in progress: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Real quick because I am not sure what is / is not fixed,

Does boost control work (duty target)?
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Jon k wrote:Real quick because I am not sure what is / is not fixed,

Does boost control work (duty target)?
Pretty sure it does.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
RdSnake
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RdSnake »

any change or improvement in iac stepper operation?
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Stepper operation works. Not closed loop yet. I'm really looking forward to that. Seems my car needs a different opening depending on the weather.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Lordprimate
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Lordprimate »

UnaClocker wrote:Stepper operation works. Not closed loop yet. I'm really looking forward to that. Seems my car needs a different opening depending on the weather.
?????

There is going to be closed loop IDLE control with Stepper Valve????
MS-II Blue V3 PCB
MT 2.25 Final Release w/ MS2/Extra 2.0.1 Firmware
In a 1.9L 93 Saturn SC2 w/ GM DIS.....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/741154
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

From the to-do thread:
muythaibxr wrote:The intention is, when I get to it to make the current closed-loop idle scheme work with the stepper by converting percent (duty) to steps before doing the control for it.

Ken
Though closed loop idle isn't on the to-do list at the top of that thread for some reason. But yeah, it's on the way.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

As racingmini_mtl found, there's a bug in the standard fastidle code:

Code: Select all

if(IdleCtl == 1)  {
	    if(outpc.clt < flash4.FastIdle)
		*pPTMpin[2] |= 0x04;             // turn on fast idle solenoid
	    if(outpc.clt < flash4.FastIdle - flash4.IdleHyst)
	    else if(outpc.clt > flash4.FastIdle)
		*pPTMpin[2] &= ~0x04;            // turn off fast idle solenoid
	}
It should have the first if removed:

Code: Select all

if(IdleCtl == 1)  {
	    if(outpc.clt < flash4.FastIdle - flash4.IdleHyst)
	    else if(outpc.clt > flash4.FastIdle)
		*pPTMpin[2] &= ~0x04;            // turn off fast idle solenoid
	}
Otherwise hysteresis doesn't work.
TT350chevelle
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TT350chevelle »

Just changed from MS I to MS II beta 8,V2.2 pcb with the flyback board, 73 lb/hr injectors, 2 squirts alt, dizzy mode.
Here is some problems I noticed.

1)Rev limiter doesn't work but overboost does.(I have not spent much time checking this yet)

2) random EGO spikes that cause fuel to be added while cruzing (not critical but seems to be worse with simple EGO correction) Can dig up a screen shot if needed.

3) Strange injector cut at low rpm and small injector PW, some kind of problem because the injector PW is getting to close to injector open time?? (just guessing)

So far the change to MSII has been pretty good but the VE fuel map from MS I (latest code 024y?) was VERY rich, I had to reduce all the VE numbers by about 30 points.

These problems maybe be setting related and have not been able to spend any real time with my stim (yet) but thought I would post anyway in case other members have seen similar problems.

Brad J.
PS: MSQ attached along with screen shot of the injector cut out.
Homebuilt twinturbo 68 Chevelle
MS 1, MSNS-Extra, Fuel and Spark.
Full street,3820lbs,10.46@133.66
GintsK
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by GintsK »

I try previous 12.08.2007. version with dizzy. It is VW16V 2Liter n/a ~170hp 314cc injectors. Must say it is big step forward! Using MLV 16x16 table tuning is real pleasure! It will be very usable on n/a engines with aggressive cams.

Thanks!

Other installation is Opel 2L 16V turbo engine using 870cc low-Z injectors. 60-2 wheel. Previous I do not believe: really got it working @900Rpm and 13.6...14.7AFR!!! And it is with 2 injections per cycle (4 alternating). Awesome! Still unfinished.

I think there is some problems with my settings or code:

Can't get to work rev limiter with spark cut. Fuel and spark works in strange manner - first hits upper and then run without spark or fuel until lower limit and so on.

Can't get work launch control/flat shift on JS11.

Can't get trigger return to work for me. How correct must be angle between trigger and return? Previously run MS1-E on same installation and same board. and use all these features.

Something strange is with AE. In simple mode is some muss with TPS and MAP based acceleration/deceleration source.

Idle PWM has too rough step. About 80Rpm/stepPWM. 78Hz - loud too. BOSCH cigar type valve from VW Digifant.

And what is common problem: VE table calculations. It is too rough for nowadays resolution - without decimal fraction (?) Mainly it become as problem at lower side of VE map. Say at idle. In my case 54 or 55 VE change injection time enough for idle come unstable. It cange injection time on my VW engine from1.674ms to 1.717ms (0.043ms. my inj openning time is 1.1ms so it is 14% of injected fuel ). Yes I flatten map: got 0.015ms fluctuations and more stable idle. But this is only patching.

Gints.
Some of my instalations:
VW TBI, VW 16V 60-2,
BMW M50 COPs 60-2, BMW M20 and M50 ITBs as Alpha-N, BMW M20 turbo Wasted spark
Opel 20XE Wasted Alpha-N with ITBs
Audi 10VT Audi20V
MR2 3S-GE.............
and over 100 tuned
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

TT350chevelle wrote:Just changed from MS I to MS II beta 8,V2.2 pcb with the flyback board, 73 lb/hr injectors, 2 squirts alt, dizzy mode.
Here is some problems I noticed.

1)Rev limiter doesn't work but overboost does.(I have not spent much time checking this yet)
Revlimiting should work. I used almost the exact same code for overboost.
2) random EGO spikes that cause fuel to be added while cruzing (not critical but seems to be worse with simple EGO correction) Can dig up a screen shot if needed.

3) Strange injector cut at low rpm and small injector PW, some kind of problem because the injector PW is getting to close to injector open time?? (just guessing)
I've never seen this on the bench, I'll see if I can reproduce that sometime this week after I've caught up with everything else.

Ken
teg
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by teg »

TT350chevelle wrote: 2) random EGO spikes that cause fuel to be added while cruzing (not critical but seems to be worse with simple EGO correction) Can dig up a screen shot if needed.

I guess that those EGO spikes and injector cuts are overrun fuelcut. Your cruising TPS value (MAP and RPM too!) are very close to overrun fuelcut limit. Try to increase TPS limit from 4% to 7-9%.
Opel Kadett C City 2.0 16V Turbo
TT350chevelle
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TT350chevelle »

Opps! :oops: Thankyou Teg... I should have caught that!

Brad J.
PS: Ken, don't waste any time on my "problems" until I can verify that their real, I'm still getting used to the new code and probably have something set wrong.Will do some further testing today.
Homebuilt twinturbo 68 Chevelle
MS 1, MSNS-Extra, Fuel and Spark.
Full street,3820lbs,10.46@133.66
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

TT350chevelle wrote:Opps! :oops: Thankyou Teg... I should have caught that!

Brad J.
PS: Ken, don't waste any time on my "problems" until I can verify that their real, I'm still getting used to the new code and probably have something set wrong.Will do some further testing today.
Brad, I am having the same glitching going on with my EGO, though right now it looks like just the MT gauge is glitching, but as you, I haven't looked that close into it yet.