SD/MMC based internal data-logging?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

SD/MMC based internal data-logging?

Post by Jon k »

I am at work and was messing with some NEI Programmers and stuff and was looking around on the web for driver updates etc when I saw these "mini boards". They are simply a SecureDigita/MMC memory card interface that could be hooked up to a circuit that might be able to interface with the MS and enable datalogging.

I dunno - sometimes I am driving without a laptop and something may happen or I may think the car did something and I am like "damnit if only I was datalogging.."

I saw 8GB SD cards for $72... that'd hold a hell of a lot of datalogs!

Just an idea - I have no idea what would be needed or how it'd be done other than a serial interface, SD interface, and some sort of CPU responsible for handling the connectivity to the MS perhaps with a "datalog" toggle switch that will connect to the MS as soon as it receives power and the CPU firmware boots up. Just a thought... argh, back to work.

Link:

http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_SC.shtml
1992 BMW 525i M50 Non Vanos 24v Turbocharged
Stock COP Wasted Spark
MS2/E v3
zsilinszkyz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by zsilinszkyz »

There's this GPS logger, which can show you roughly what's needed for handling the SD card and a serial interface.

Zoltan
Mk1rocco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mk1rocco »

I don't have the expertise to pull it off but what I think would be a really cool idea is to incorporate SD memory into something like a Megaview unit. Megaview already has the processing power needed to display serial data perhaps it's software and processor could be upgraded to store data as well.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Have you ever used Palmlog? It works for MS2, and although I haven't tried mine recently, should now work with MS2 Extra. A 10$ ebay palm is all you need.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
risu
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by risu »

One interesting device would be datalogger with SD-card + CAN. That would leave normal serial link always free for tuning software and datalogger could always be on car. No wiring hassle.

Assuming of course that CAN link can provide necessary data in real time. I have no idea how CAN code is arranged at the moment. I've read that there are still some linkage problems, but if I've understood correctly, data is broken only when it's transferred onto megatune? So actual can link should work between devices?
Tiara Kit Car - MsnS-E