How MS handles a running reset

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

How MS handles a running reset

Post by wes kiser »

If I am not mistaken, when MS experiences a power reset for whatever reason, it grabs the barometer reading at power on correct(if not running realtime baro)? This is what appears happens to me. Mine will occaisionally experience a reset, and then will be rich as crap until I turn it off and key cycle.

The individual who recently purchased my car is experiencing this occaisionally as well. I never experienced resets until beta 7, but I never posted because I changed ALOT of stuff at the same time, and didn't think the code was likely the culprit. Since then I have redone all power and ground wiring, and it doesn't happen nearly as frequently.

Wouln't it be a good idea to have two power up strategies? One when rpm is equal to zero, and one when rpm is greater than zero. The greater than zero strategy would just plug in a constant baro value the user would input based on their geographical location. That way the car would run pretty close to the same, even after a running reset. I didn't post this as a feature request because I am not sure I am correct in the reset behaviour, but I know mine will run rich (like gas dripping out of the pipe rich) for hours until I key cycle, and then it would be fine immediately.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Problem is that when you first power on, RPM is always going to be zero.

I'll see if I can come up with a solution for your problem though.

Ken
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

What if a delay was put in on the baro value storage? Like 1/4 second or something? Then check to see if RPM is greater than zero. Just a suggestion, I realize this would cause problems with folks who hit the starter as soon as they power up, but I was always taught with efi to wait until the fuel pump primes before you try (and it just stuck though the years, even though it probably really doesn't matter).
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Well, the real solution is to get rid of the resets. This is the first I've heard of any.

I'll probably try to see if I can get any on the bench.

In the meantime, reset shouldn't cause baro to be wrong, so I'll try to come up with a solution to that problem.

Ken
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I just let the MS run for a couple of hours on the bench, and was unable to get any resets.

I'll let it run overnight and see if I can get any.

Ken
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

regardless of whether you get any resets or not, isnt the clean behaviour to be able to have the ecu behave nicely under most if not all circumstances?

ie, if i should turn off the key while coasting down a hill in gear, and turn it back on, it shouldnt do as he describes should it?

i guess what hes saying is that it should attempt to sync, then if no rpm, sample, and if rpm, then use stored value.

is it possible to disable the baro correction? that would solve it for anyone that uses their car at mostly the same altitude.

fred.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I didn't mean to imply the resets were code related, as I changed alot (both mechanically and electrically) at the same time I switched to beta 7. My LC-1 (recently installed) was resetting as well (which is powered off the same circuit). Cleaning up power and grounds helped. I just think MS could possibly handle a reset a little better.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I agree we should do something to fix it... but I was just saying that the cause of the resets should also be fixed.

Ken