Shift lights

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Shift lights

Post by Mario »

How hard would it be to write some code to make the (3) onboard leds become sequential shift lights? I want to have mount a second set of Leds in my dash and it would be kind of cool to use them as a set of shift lights also via drop down menu in mega tune.

Thanks guys.
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

cant you select them via the "spare outputs" code? if so, you can do just that with rpm thresholds. if not, not sure.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

I know the MS1-extra code has support for this, I think the consensus is that with MS2 we are out of output pins and dedicating the few we do have to too many functions will just confuse everyone and make it overly complicated.

That said, if you aren't using the three LED drivers for anything (such as for ignition) you could use the spare port driver function to turn each Warmup, Accell, and INJ LED on at a progressively later RPM. Then just drive a light bulb or another LED with the current driver in parallel with the current driver, the transistor on most boards is good to around 800ma drive current, driving a little 5-20ma LED and another 20-80ma lightbulb or LED should't be a problem.
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

I didn't think it was an option at all with ms2 or extra code. But it would be a cool feature on ms1 extra also. Since the hardware is already there.

Anyone else?
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

I'm sorry, I know it works with ms1 extra. I picked up that daughter board from you earlier this year.

I was thinking for ms2.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Well I guess maybe I don't understand fully how sequential shift lights are supposed to work.

It seems that having just a simple RPM switch set at a low limit then turn on another switch at a slightly higher limit would be a two stage shift light?

All of the MS2 firmware, even MS2-extra, has the same Spare Port code which allows you to toggle an output using one or two of about all the controller parameters.
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

I looked a little harder and found this. I haven't ran my ms2 yet so I guess I never really dug in enough.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm

Should be able to do something =)

Thanks Scott!