Single cylinder "distributor" question

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Single cylinder "distributor" question

Post by wes kiser »

Some of you may remeber some questions I had asked when trying to get a single cylinder KTM engine squirting last year.

I am back to helping the UNCC FSAE team, and have a question about an interim ignition pickup. Ultimately they will be doing and "external" toothed wheel built into a supercharger drive.

Basically, the KTM has a single tooth and a VR sensor. The stock engine has a CDI box, that does do some degree of advance. THe only way I can see this working acceptably is if the tooth comes up a relatively long distance before TDC (like say 60 degrees or something), and then the coil is fired as a "this cylinder" kind of thing. This way, it only would have something like a 40 degree crank window to incur an error.

If as an interim solution, can I use this single tooth pickup and dizzy mode? The only problem I see is the "ignition offset" becomes the maximum advance value instead of the minimum (and I don't know if this is OK in the code). When reading up on standard MS2 dizzy code, the offset is equal to the minim advance possible, so that wouldn't work. If it is fired as a next cylinder, I can see lots of error being incurrend in the 300 or so degrees of crank rotation the would pass.

The reason I posted this in the development forum is because I would be using the beta code (as that is what my most recent experience is with), and felt it was more a specific code question about dizzy mode.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I was able to verify the tooth location relative to TDC. The leading edge is 40 DBDTC. This verifys my theory as to how the CDI ignition worked (as the maximum advance is 38 (from a KTM engineer).
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try it out on the stim first. "This cylinder" mode should work fine, but the single tooth may cause a problem as you note.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

This is a microsquirt, so the stim is a bit difficult. I no longer have my mustang, so my squirt is gone as well. One of the team members is building one, so hopefully we can test on his (ms 2).

As long as there are not code issues with offset being greater than maxium advance requested, I think it will work ok. It appears KTM set it up as a "trigger return" tooth as well, as it is quite wide. Falling edge appears to be about 10 dbtdc.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

A JimStim would allow you to test a microsquirt more easily. :)

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum