feature request: possible? on the fly number of squirts

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turbom20
Helpful MS/Extra'er

feature request: possible? on the fly number of squirts

Post by turbom20 »

Just wondering if this would be a worthwhile addition to the code for either MS1 or 2 (I say MS 1 because I haven't upgrade yet, lol)

Basically MS would always use the most number of squirts possible, and this would increase/decrease base on RPM/fuel (injector open time) requirements.

Thoughts?
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

I am not sure, but I think EAE already does this. At least, i remember reading about them wanting to put this into MS2/E
turbom20
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by turbom20 »

hassmaschine wrote:I am not sure, but I think EAE already does this. At least, i remember reading about them wanting to put this into MS2/E
But doesn't that only work during an enrichment event? Why wouldn't you want MS to do this all the time?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Switching back and forth between number of squirts all the time would probably be pretty difficult to tune.

I *could* probably make something work, but not for 2.0, and not unless some good reason for doing it were given.

Ken
rb26dett
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rb26dett »

initially i was thinking that sounded like a good idea, but upon further thought, this is what i came up with :

(4 cyl engine)

low rpm, low load : 4 squirts would be nice to ensure a perfectly even fuel distribution between intake events, but with large injectors, the resolution suffers because of the pulse being spread out over 4

high rpm, high load : you dont want to be wasting mulitple opening times when you potentially need maximum pulsewidth and it doesnt matter at larger loads anyway.

it seems to me that if you have smallish injectors that are rated reasonably for your engine with maybe 30% margin, then you could run 4 squirts all the time anyway, and if you would like to with larger injectors you cant at any rpm for various reasons?

am i making sense or have i lost the squirts/simul/alt plot?

fred.
ms2,v3,cop,innovate,mazda fe3/fe-dohc 2l 4cyl with stock 10:1 pistons,4 stock coils,4 stock ignitors,rx7 550cc injectors maxed@6600rpm&17psi,custom everything,holset he351cw turbo,44mm ext gate,nis gtr bovs,nis gtr intercooler,70mm lexus throttle,chinese fpr,10may v2 ms2e alpha code
turbom20
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by turbom20 »

Well your reasoning is exactly why i thought this would be a good idea.

I run huge injectors with one squirt simultaneous, but with more squirts my low end is definitely smoother. So if we can have more squirts at the low end and less up top, that would be a neat trick.

It doesn't even have to be continually variable... an RPM switch point would work, but if variable is possible, why not would be my question.

Just seems like this solution would provide better and more equal fueling at low rpms.

Stop me if you disagree. Welcome to voice your opinions.
rb26dett wrote:initially i was thinking that sounded like a good idea, but upon further thought, this is what i came up with :

(4 cyl engine)

low rpm, low load : 4 squirts would be nice to ensure a perfectly even fuel distribution between intake events, but with large injectors, the resolution suffers because of the pulse being spread out over 4

high rpm, high load : you dont want to be wasting mulitple opening times when you potentially need maximum pulsewidth and it doesnt matter at larger loads anyway.

it seems to me that if you have smallish injectors that are rated reasonably for your engine with maybe 30% margin, then you could run 4 squirts all the time anyway, and if you would like to with larger injectors you cant at any rpm for various reasons?

am i making sense or have i lost the squirts/simul/alt plot?

fred.